Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
2604WS

Tailgater update

We've been enjoying our new TT and the Tailgater has worked well and most importantly the Boss is happy. Had something happen though on the last outing and want to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Up to then, we hooked the Tailgater into the exterior satellite hookup and everything has been fine. Did the same this last trip and everything was as usual when all of a sudden we lost signal. It was late so the next day tried the reset several times with no luck. Called Dish and after several questions he asked if the coax was into the trailer or directly to the receiver. He said since the Tailgater gets power from the receiver they had to have a direct connection. He said this was detailed in the manual. I did as he directed and I'll be danged but it worked. Any thoughts on what could have changed with the TT wiring?

Kirk
kirkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Antenna booster on? Normally the tailgater will not work if there are splitters in the line
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
Any thoughts on what could have changed with the TT wiring? Kirk
I guess you know the answer to that. NOTHING changed in your TT wiring, and since it worked before, it should continue to work. You had a gremlin I suspect. Put it back like it was before and I'm quite sure it will work again.

As long as the wire is a straight shot from the tailgater to the receiver, it is the same as the direct wire he recommended. They're just used to people's RVs that have only a "Cable" in and that usually won't work.

I guess a fitting could have come loose, or that tiny piece of wire that was almost shorting out the connector finally managed to do that. If it doesn't work still, those are the things you should check.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
2604WS

no3putt, yes, the booster was on but from what I've read on the forum, the satellite feed SHOULD be a direct feed from the exterior plate to the inside. Guess there are no guarantees though. I'll pull some of the plates to see if I can see anything. I'll also try shutting off the booster if there continues to be a problem.

Barry, I agree something shouldn't have changed unless as you say some gremlin popped up.

Getting cool here but we are planning one more trip before we winterize.
kirkp is offline   Reply With Quote