Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 4,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnATX View Post
Update: got the Tailgater Pro and am setting it up right now. I'm having a few issues but I'm on the phone with tech support and I'm sure they'll get me all fixed up.

There are 2 (at least) coax connections to ply a TV into. One behind the TV where it's mounted in the living room, and the one outside.

Are those connected via a splitter? Meaning, can I just hook The TV up via coax on the side of the trailer outside or do I need to Run the coacts from the satellite over there?
While you are setting it up, an trouble shooting I would connect the coax directly from the antenna to your receiver.

do you have more than one location in your camper for TVs, with Coax outlets at each one? If so there is most likely a splitter or splitters near your receiver or behind our TV.

After you get it working when connected directly then try moving the coax to the outside connection. If the picture returns, Voila, if not, you will have to search for the other connections.
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
paverdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I have the Tailgater I used for a season then got a Winegard Pathway X2 now am very happy with the performance of it. I can get both the East and Western Arc satellites and can watch my Locals anywhere I travel without any phone calls or extra payment using a receiver from home

Had a Tailgater also..had a hard time getting 129 HD....went with a Winegard Pathway X2...bigger dish and no problem now with 129.....
__________________
Dave...Northern Nevada
2018 Rockwood 8299bs
2007 GMC 2500HD Diesel SLT short bed w/gravity flow75 gallon Fuel Tank.. Cat delete
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:14 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 4,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by paverdave View Post
Had a Tailgater also..had a hard time getting 129 HD....went with a Winegard Pathway X2...bigger dish and no problem now with 129.....
But the OP stated he already had purchased the Tailgater Pro
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #44
2604WS
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa
Posts: 76
After many years of camping we developed a list of sites we preferred. We then bought a satellite and had to change our preferences to try and get sites with the best satellite signal. Then having to deal with all the vagaries associated with having a satellite we decided to **** can it and go with a wireless WiFi hotspot. This along with a smart tv gave us everything we needed. More than that we shouldn’t be camping.
kirkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
After many years of camping we developed a list of sites we preferred. We then bought a satellite and had to change our preferences to try and get sites with the best satellite signal. Then having to deal with all the vagaries associated with having a satellite we decided to **** can it and go with a wireless WiFi hotspot. This along with a smart tv gave us everything we needed. More than that we shouldn’t be camping.
Glad you found an option that works for you. Some of us are frequently in areas with no cell or wifi reception at all. So satellite is a perfect option for us.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #46
2604WS
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa
Posts: 76
It works for us. We’d much rather select our sight based on scenery or aesthetics and not on southerly exposure. If WiFi doesn’t get signal you build a fire and look at the stars.
kirkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
It works for us. We’d much rather select our sight based on scenery or aesthetics and not on southerly exposure. If WiFi doesn’t get signal you build a fire and look at the stars.
Southerly exposure is not an issue for most of us with an automatic portable dish, plenty of coax, and a little experience. But if you don't like satellite TV, you don't like satellite TV.
Perhaps you can start your own new thread on the subject....
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #48
Member
 
Hapazap128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 4
I recently got the Dish Dual Playmaker... it can attach to the roof semi-permanently, or just sit on the roof.. Also, I have the tripod mount if you wanted to set it on the ground. As for performance, this dish automatically seeks the satellites and is fairly easy to operate. Once we hit the road full time, I will mount it on the roof with the metal feet. I too don't care about the ability to watch on two TVs, just a bonus with this model. I bought a packaged deal so relatively inexpensive for the set up. Reception has been great and I don't use an app, except the one on the TV for any adjustments. So far so good and no issues.
Hapazap128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #49
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 43
We have a Wingard on the roof but it is not removeable

When we are in a forest area or valley we use a Pathway X2. We also have the King portable that is the upgrade from the base but if you are in a forest with hills on both sides, our roof nor the King worked so we bought the Pathway X2 and it is great!






Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnATX View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on a dish and am having a heck of a time understanding the differences between the various models. Here is my list of wants:

* will probably only ever watch one TV at a time so don't really care about being able to run to two TVs.
* want to roof mount with the ability to remove if needed. I prefer the king quick release but am also as comfortable unscrewing from the metal playmaker feet
* i want it to automatically find the signal. I would prefer not to have to pull out a phone app to find satellites to make this happen.

Thanks!
maxxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:03 AM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to b bob
Tailgater Pro

We have a 2006 class A motorhome. When the roof mount sat. antenna became obsolete, we replaced it with a Tailgater Pro. I bought the stand for the mount. When trying to run the coax thru the motorhome connections, I found the connections and/or coax were not good enough to operate the new antenna. The only way I could make the system work was to run the coax thru the slide directly from the antenna to the Wally. One thing I found is that when using both Tailgater coax connections for two tv's, it worked fine as long as both tv's shows were on the same satellite. When changing the main tv (wife's tv) to another satellite, the second tv would go through the satellite search procedure before a show would display, causing a five to ten minute gap on the second tv. We ended up with a second satellite antenna for the second (my) tv! If you're watching the same show (or at least same satellite) on both tv's the dual ports on the antenna worked fine.
b bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
caswelld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Smoky Mountains
Posts: 553
Great thread. On our previous MH we had the Winegard T4 Roadtrip and could get Directv on all three TVs without running any cables.

We're in the market for a new MH and also an antenna for Dish. Will the Winegard PL8000 DISH Playmaker power all 3 TVs?


Dave
__________________
Dave & Julie - Motorhomeless for a while!
SOLD 2018 Isata-3 24FW - Invisibrake/Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar/2019 Wrangler Sport S 2.0 Turbo
SOLD 2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA/2014 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by caswelld View Post
Great thread. On our previous MH we had the Winegard T4 Roadtrip and could get Directv on all three TVs without running any cables.

We're in the market for a new MH and also an antenna for Dish. Will the Winegard PL8000 DISH Playmaker power all 3 TVs?


Dave
Number of TV's is determined by the SAT receiver, not the antenna. I think the PL8000 has an output for 2 receivers (master/slave) but the antenna has a single horn and cannot pick up more than a single satellite at a time and therefore the slave receiver is relegated to whatever satellite the master receiver is tuned to. One receiver can accommodate several TV's but all TV's must watch what the receiver is tuned to. Only way to get individual TV's ability to tune to whatever one wants is with a multi horn sat dish and receivers as needed or individual carryout antennas each with its own receiver connected to a dedicated TV. I think this is covered somewhere else in this thread.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnATX View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on a dish and am having a heck of a time understanding the differences between the various models. Here is my list of wants:

* will probably only ever watch one TV at a time so don't really care about being able to run to two TVs.
* want to roof mount with the ability to remove if needed. I prefer the king quick release but am also as comfortable unscrewing from the metal playmaker feet
* i want it to automatically find the signal. I would prefer not to have to pull out a phone app to find satellites to make this happen.

Thanks!
I have two boxes with my Dish. I waited on the lot for weeks for them to figure out how to mount it on top. They finally said I needed to pay for an L bracket to mount on the back towards the top. I agreed to that. Then they said they were going to have to run the cable along the side of the camper into the window. I had a fit. No way. Finally, I agreed but not happy. Then, after waiting and waiting l agreed to anything or give me my money back on the Dish and two boxes. They mounted it on top next to ceiling fan in the bathroom. Terrible. My fan makes a noise and it’s crooked. But l was happy that they did run the cable under the camper all the way to the bedroom and put a plug in the cargo area and screwed it in somehow. But l was sad the second box didn’t work. And Dish wanted to charge me for local channels and l already got that on my big TV in my kitchen area so I only needed one box. It was a nightmare that took a couple months. I was paying long term at a park and not there enjoying camping but instead on the Camping World aka Gander RV parking lot. They should have paid me for being their security guard.
ForHevensake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:24 PM   #54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by b bob View Post
We have a 2006 class A motorhome. When the roof mount sat. antenna became obsolete, we replaced it with a Tailgater Pro. I bought the stand for the mount. When trying to run the coax thru the motorhome connections, I found the connections and/or coax were not good enough to operate the new antenna. The only way I could make the system work was to run the coax thru the slide directly from the antenna to the Wally. One thing I found is that when using both Tailgater coax connections for two tv's, it worked fine as long as both tv's shows were on the same satellite. When changing the main tv (wife's tv) to another satellite, the second tv would go through the satellite search procedure before a show would display, causing a five to ten minute gap on the second tv. We ended up with a second satellite antenna for the second (my) tv! If you're watching the same show (or at least same satellite) on both tv's the dual ports on the antenna worked fine.
Yes and l went through the same thing. I have a spare box that l never got to use. One TV is on antenna and gets local TV and the other one is hooked up to Dish. Threw away the box or l would have returned it.
ForHevensake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
W5CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle, Arkansas
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Amazing that with Dish you can get your at home local channels even if you're in, say; Colorado. You of course realize that the receiver has nothing to do with getting your locals.
With the Pathway X2 the received doesn't know that I am in Colorado or doesn't care, I am using the same receiver from my home when I travel
__________________
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS/TrailAir Hitch/ MORryde 7K IS/Disc Brakes/ PI PT-50 EMS/ RV Flex Armor Roof
2015 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins 3.42/ Garmin 760RV
40 Gal TransferFlow fuel tank/ TST 507
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
With the Pathway X2 the received doesn't know that I am in Colorado or doesn't care, I am using the same receiver from my home when I travel
I do to but when I'm out of range the home locals (major networks) do come up on the guide but they are not selectable (no access). I call for the locals (major networks) where I'm at and my home locals are replaced with the new locals. When I get home I have to do the same thing to get home locals again. You must have something special.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:11 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
madatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Bellbrook, OH
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have the Tailgater and the newer dual output opaque Tailgater Pro. My RVing friend has the Playmaker. As far as performance, we don't see any difference in any of them. The Playmaker is cheaper.
I like the Pro as I can keep one receiver inside, and then run a second cable to a temp outside TV/Receiver and get HD for a game w/o having to move my original cable and receiver around. I'm lazy
None of us have mounted on the roof as we prefer to easily move them around.
Hi Scott i have a question about the second receiver. I been using dish now for 4 months and have had allot of trouble with the second receiver and both are walleys with the pathwayx2, the main works fine, so my question and problem is the sec receiver losses signal or no signal, switched cables and everything else i could think of, dish tech support after a million calls is to hook the sec receiver to the main and let it program itself and then hook it to the secondary port and that should fix the problem. I have done that and maybe so far so good, what is your trick, thanks for your time
Greg
ps being Nascar fans it sucks that Chicagoland speedway got cancelled, we are 2 hrs from Kentucky and got the same, it will be a long road trip next year
__________________
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
2018 Silverado 1500, Husky Centerline TS
3 Great Danes, 1 Weimaraner
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
madatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Bellbrook, OH
Posts: 403
my 2 cents is to get the both eastern/western antenna with the portable tripod mount, roof mount no, (i might fall off and break a hip)reason is we were at a campground and the western arc was block by trees, the eastern arc had a clear shot, i use up to a 100ft of cable so far and use a bicycle cable and pad lock and chain it to a tree, also the wingard phone app will show you which sats are visible from your position
__________________
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
2018 Silverado 1500, Husky Centerline TS
3 Great Danes, 1 Weimaraner
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
Hi Scott i have a question about the second receiver. I been using dish now for 4 months and have had allot of trouble with the second receiver and both are walleys with the pathwayx2, the main works fine, so my question and problem is the sec receiver losses signal or no signal, switched cables and everything else i could think of, dish tech support after a million calls is to hook the sec receiver to the main and let it program itself and then hook it to the secondary port and that should fix the problem. I have done that and maybe so far so good, what is your trick, thanks for your time
Greg
ps being Nascar fans it sucks that Chicagoland speedway got cancelled, we are 2 hrs from Kentucky and got the same, it will be a long road trip next year
I have no experience with the Pathway, so not much help. I wouldn't think it would much different than the Tailgaters though. We connect the main TV/receiver in the RV to the 'main' outlet on the dish. Then when we want to watch the outside TV, we make sure the main TV is showing the program we want to watch, and hook up the secondary TV/receiver tuned to the same channel (same satellite). If you change either TV to a channel that is on a different satellite, it messes it up and you usually have reset the secondary.
But since we have two portable dishes now (haven't sold the old one yet), we just run two separate systems most of the time
We enjoy NASCAR and football in the backwoods. We did cancel our tickets for Phoenix this year. They moved our xfinity tickets from row 44 to 3, cancelled our cup tickets all together, and there will be no vendors, events, or grocery store at the track. So we didn't see the point in camping for a week at the Phoenix track with nothing to do. It really sucks.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,290
leave the second receiver off until you get the PRIMARY receiver full programmed,

then, find a good channel on the primary receiver you'll know that you'll want to be watching on the secondary receiver, and leave it on that channel UNTIL after you then turn the second receiver on and go into programming for it - when it finished, you'll then see ONLY the channels that are available to it, even though the Primary receiver may be able to see many more.

now, once you're watching both receiver/TVs, if you change the primary receiver to a channel that does not reside on the satellite that the primary receiver was on at the time the secondary receiver was programmed, the secondary receiver will then lose it's signal, giving you the error screen. Switch back the primary receiver and you'll see it then come back on...

what's happening is that you are moving the 'antenna eyeball' to a different satellite, and the secondary receiver can then no longer see the satellite it is programmed to. It can only see a SINGLE satellite in this 'secondary' mode, only the one it was originally programmed to.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.