Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
WFD

Tankless water heaters Pros and Cons

Those that have experience with tankless water heaters....what would you say are the pros and cons, and if you had a choice would you go back to a tank?
Old 09-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

Now that is a loaded question!
We have the first gen Girard tankless. Is it perfect? No. Would I go back to a tank? Never.
We paired our tankless with the Shower Miser and it is a perfect combination, especially for boondocking. We use about 30 gallons less of fresh water over a week with the Miser and it allows us to set the temp on shower w/o wasting water. When at full hookups, we can take back to back showers for however long we want to. A true luxury!
We are looking at new RVs. One requirement is that it has a tankless, preferably the new Truma which seems to have most of the bugs worked out.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
WFD

I saw a post of yours in the past favouring Grand Design trailers, we quite like them too...we are looking at a GD right now and the tankless heaters are standard in many of their models now, but not a Truma, they are using Furrion.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #4

I don’t have any experience with tankless but a main drawback to me is they are propane only. If I’m plugged in at a campsite and paying the exorbitant prices most now charge…I’m using their electricity every opportunity I can. The only other drawback would be more things to go wrong and the technology seems to be steadily evolving and getting better all the time - so the units out today are likely already or soon out of date with a better successor in place (or planned). As for taking long showers, it would be great but the number of sites and parks I encounter with full hookup is truly rare. That’s why tank sizes are key, for me anyways.

And yes, Grand Design Reflection…was a close second for me. Same exact floorplan, even same weight. Which on that factor alone made me wonder…what’s actually better (and is it worth thousands more)? If the reflection offered frameless dual pane windows and factory slide toppers…maybe I would have been more swayed. Build quality is maybe better, at least better than my particular unit. :/
JohnnyPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #5

I installed a Truma AquaGo Tankless Water Heater and it was the best investment we've ever made. IMO any tankless water heater is better than the standard water heater that comes in most RVs. If you can afford the Truma, you wont be sorry

Cons ... Not yet
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 20
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Now that is a loaded question!
We have the first gen Girard tankless. Is it perfect? No. Would I go back to a tank? Never.
We paired our tankless with the Shower Miser and it is a perfect combination, especially for boondocking. We use about 30 gallons less of fresh water over a week with the Miser and it allows us to set the temp on shower w/o wasting water. When at full hookups, we can take back to back showers for however long we want to. A true luxury!
We are looking at new RVs. One requirement is that it has a tankless, preferably the new Truma which seems to have most of the bugs worked out.

We have the very same camper and had the Girard Gen 1. It was OK once you got a few things changed but still not perfect.

We just recently changed out our WH for a Furrion Tankless WH. This one is GREAT. It gets up to temp Much faster, (Because it has an input of up to 60,000 BTUs) stays at whatever temp you set (we have it at 114) and it will maintain that temp for as long as it has water to run through it.

I did a lot of research before buying, namely at Suburban's newest tankless and the Truma + the Furrion, which was a late find in the research process for me. All of them too seem to be good units but Suburban and Truma both required a shop to install. The Furrion seems to be designed as a retrofit solution. I HATE paying for that which I can do myself.

The Furrion install was basically flawless. I also took the time to set up a couple of 3 way valves to make the De-Scaling process easy. Suburban has that process built in and I think so does Truma: Furrion does not, though they mention its necessity in the manual.

Would I go back to a tank type, NEVER!
Old 09-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #7

Don't know about the latest tankless water heaters today, but when we had one and did a Navy shower we would ALWAYS get a jolt of cold water till the heater kicked in again and heated water got back to the shower head. At times the tankless wouldn't even kick in due to the sensor didn't sense enough flow for the heater to kick in, thus no hot water till we took some aerators out of the faucets to get sufficient flow.

Therefore we swapped our tankless out for a normal tank heater. Haven't regretted that change. If we were to buy new again or our current tank heater would need replacing, we would reevaluate on whether or not to get a tankless again. Would need assurances that they perform better than the one we had originally.

Good luck and stay safe -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #8

My camper came with a Suburban Tankless. It would not ignite. When I would take it to the dealership it would work. I would get it home an it would not run. Finally they determined that it would not work at elevation. I live at 8,400 feet and mostly camp in the Colorado Mountains. Forest River Finally agreed to replace it with a 6 gallon tank. I would never choose a tankless. Seems pretty ridiculous to continually run the shower water to get hot water which was the recommended practice. Most of our camping is disbursed and conserving water is a must.
danszmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #9

We have a Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus. The Plus has a recirculation system so that you actually always get instant hot water at every tap. However, it would be difficult to retrofit the Plus because of the need for additional plumbing. Anyway, it is fabulous and I would never go back to a tank water heater. We only turn it on exactly when we want hot water such as for taking a shower, or doing dishes - off at all other times. Takes a few seconds and you have hot water. No need to keep it on all the time like a normal one. Because of the way we use it, propane use is miniscule so there is no concern whatsoever that we are paying for electricity and burning propane for hot water.
For a retrofit with no additional plumbing, you would probably get the AquaGo Comfort. Since that one does not continually circulate hot water, there will be a small wait until you get hot water at each faucet, which of course wastes a bit of water.

Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
and
Leisure Travel Vans U24MB
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #10

Tank Best

I had a 10 gallon tank in my last diesel pusher. It was heated by the engine when being driven and when parked it heated using electricity, propane or both. I never ever ran out out hot water including doing laundry. It was about 1/2 the cost of the on demand system, and it did have a calcification cycle. My new diesel pusher has a on-demand system that runs on propane only. Hot water delivery is far slower than with the tank and it requires specific decalcification tablets from the manufacturer. So if I could go back to what my old u.but had, I would. As far as I can tell all the on-demand system is good for is keeping you running water waiting for the system to come on an deliver warm then hot water.
G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #11

I have tankless in the house and the standard 6 gallon tank in the trailer. A tankless in the trailer would be OK, to me, only if there was a recirc system such as shower miser. The downside to the tankless is the warm-up time which causes you to waste water. The recirc system would fix that problem.

I also like being able to use electricity for hot water when connected to shore power.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by danszmyd View Post
My camper came with a Suburban Tankless. It would not ignite. When I would take it to the dealership it would work. I would get it home an it would not run. Finally they determined that it would not work at elevation. I live at 8,400 feet and mostly camp in the Colorado Mountains. Forest River Finally agreed to replace it with a 6 gallon tank. I would never choose a tankless. Seems pretty ridiculous to continually run the shower water to get hot water which was the recommended practice. Most of our camping is disbursed and conserving water is a must.
danszmyd - First welcome to the forum. I see you have been a member for awhile but this seems to be your first post.

They replaced our original tankless with a 12 gallon tank as we had the same problem of it not lighting when you opened the hot water faucet at a sink. There was even a bulletin in the tankless papers indicating that aerators could prevent it from igniting due to low flow.

FYI - don't know what kind of RV you have as didn't see anything in your signature or in your profile. It would be great if you could list that so if you would happen to need help in the future the community would be able to give you better assistance.

Stay safe -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater