Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #1

Television Installation

I have a Canyon Cat 17 QBC. It did not come with a television installed. I have one I would like to install. Its a 23 inch tv with a DVD player built it. I believe I can install it on one of the interior walls that backs between the bunk beds and the dinette. That is where the connections for the cable are. The dealership says there is supposed to be a backer board in the wall that I can attach the mounting bolts for a Tv wall mount to. I guess my question is does anyone know if there is a specific area on this wall I have to place the mount and once there what are the weight limitations? They type of mount I want to get should allow me to remove the tv when stored or traveling.

Any advice from anyone thats mounted a tv before would be greatly appreciated. I called the factory but they are little slow to respond.

Thanks.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Site Team

probably would be better to ask a fellow Canyon Cat owner or look for online pics of one that has one already installed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #3

Thanks. I am not getting many responses so that may be my best option. By looking at your online name do you ride? By that I mean motorcycles?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

During our searches we looked through many trailers. Some with TV installed, some without. Everyone without had a square sticker on the wall showing where the backer plate was located. And it wasn't always in the exact same location. Generally yes, but not exact.

My recommendation would be to try a stud finder. Look for any area of increased density and try to determine the edges both left right and up down.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #5

I installed three mounts in my tt. There were no stickers indicating where a backer board might be. I was able to determine the locations with help from FRF members that had the same model tt as mine.

I used a stud finder and pushed in on the wall board and could feel the backer board areas. Your best bet is as Bikendan suggested and find someone with your same brand, year and model to ask. Maybe a dealer would know the location.

As far as mounts, I really like the Mor/ryde brand made for rvs. Very heavy duty and well made. www.morryde.com ,consumer products, tv mounts. I used two of the TV5-002H models they allow for quick removal of tv for travel.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmw View Post
Thanks. I am not getting many responses so that may be my best option. By looking at your online name do you ride? By that I mean motorcycles?
nope, bicycles. but i'd love to have another motorcycle!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #7

Just talked to the factory. Johnny was his name I think. He told me where it should be but was concerned that what he was telling me suggested there may have not been a backer board installed. All the rest of the options were there for to mount a TV. He said they would authorize on to be installed under warranty if there was not one. And it continues but I am very happy with the responses from everyone here and the factory.

Tags
television