Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #21

I don't use the Chromecast, we use AppleTV and Roku. We do have AT&T unlimited data plan with their DirecTV Now service. It works great. We have a portable hotspot from AT&T (we have a grandfathered unlimited plan which allows the hotspot to be unlimited). We use the DirecTV Now app anywhere we go, as long as we have internet. We use the same service at home. It's nice, because with their updated app, we can "record" shows using their online DVR service, and watch them when we're on the road, or watch live tv. If you have truly unlimited data (or it doesn't count against your data), I'd go with a streaming service. It's a *LOT* cheaper than cable and/or satellite. AT&T unlimited gives us HBO for free (perk), and it's like $5/month for Cinemax and like $8/month for Showtime. We get all the channels we want for around $48/month total.
There's a lot of options out there. I'd look around. We "cut the cord" a few years ago and haven't really missed cable/satellite. It's actually nice because the remote for the AppleTV actually controls the tv for power/volume. Some of the streaming services offer free AppleTVs and/or FireSticks if you prepay for a few months.
ImTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I think you'd be further ahead with Roku instead of Chromecast and using your phone as a hotspot for places without wifi. They have a deal for a free one right now.

"Supposedly', ATT doesn't charge their cellular customers for data usage for live streaming with select packages. I don't know what you have.

Read about it *HERE*

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I think you'd be further ahead with Roku instead of Chromecast and using your phone as a hotspot for places without wifi. They have a deal for a free one right now.

"Supposedly', ATT doesn't charge their cellular customers for data usage for live streaming with select packages. I don't know what you have.

Read about it *HERE*
Unfortunately that doesn't count when using your phone as a hotspot and using a roku/firestick/appletv.. (ask me how I know).

Now if you had a Chromecast and Android phone, you could "cast" your DirecTVNow app to the Chromecast, and not incur extra costs. Same with AppleTV and iPhones.
ImTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
Doesn't that require a lot of data use? We have a very small data package for our cell phones. Maybe we should consider going unlimited data with att and go back to Dish Network
And get a cell phone booster, for campgrounds with poor cell reception?
Since directv is owned by att they usually are offering all sorts of deals. No additional charges for streaming direct from your att device, discounts up the wazoo for being a customer of both etc.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #25

We have Direct TV and use both an Apple TV and the ChromeCast Plus. We have a Netgear Nighthawk portable WiFi hotspot that cost us $20/month for “unlimited” streaming with our AT&T bundle. We use a Mimo antenna booster that we place in a window with the best signal. Not a perfect setup, but we are pleased with it since we can get DirectTV, connect up to 20 devices (of course we don’t use that many and the more connected devices the slower your speed). Be sure your able to connect to both 2.4 and 5 GHz signals when streaming from your device to either ChromeCast or Apple TV to limit the occaisional buffering.

We use our antennae to get tons of local channels that are available in many areas we camp which is great for network news and local weather.

We also have Amazon Prime that is great for streaming music and movies. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Having said all that, we are usually trying to get away from the noise of the world, so it’s usually the music we enjoy. Our son got Apple Music for the family to share as a Christmas gift. We love Apple Radio in the iTunes App.
gwaltneyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #26

Chromecast

You can use your phones hotspot and stream from it to tv with chromecast but I would invest in a smart tv and have it go through your phone. However I have unlimited data through verizon.
Jerheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #27

Thumbs up Local Channels on DirecTV

I called DirecTV and was told that all you need to do to receive the local area channels wherever you are is to call them and provide your location Zip Code. With the Zip Code, they will beam the local channels to you!
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #28

Chromecast

A couple of things:

First, we have used Chromecast both at home and on the road. It is easy to use and set up and works like a charm. You have to have an hdmi port on your television and the google home app on your phone. Plug in the device, set your tv to the hdmi port, run the app and it will guide you through the steps. From there, read instructions on how to cast.

Second, have used direct tv at home but not on road so don’t really know how it works but there is an app for direct tv now that you can chromcast

Third, if you have a smart tv you may not need chromecst. Smart tv has apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc you can watch. All you need is WiFi
Old_hippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #29

They key part of it is the part that people seem to not fully understand and relate to where they are camping. "as long as you have a stable cell signal, the device works very nicely."
Where many of us camp cell signals can fade, drop or not even be detectable. You may be able to text or even call, but getting stable cell signal is key to good streaming and uninterrupted service.
It all looks good in the demo and on paper, but bad signal equals bad picture.

Just as Satellite is great as long as you have unobstructed view of a Southern sky and the weather fade doesn't get you.

Same for FireStick or other devices that rely on a good wifi signal from the campground to be able to run.

Sometimes Firestick, CampWifi, Satellite, Cell and local TV antenna all fail to bring in the big race, the hot ball game you depended on watching. So we have to do what we did in the old days. Enjoy life without it!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
They key part of it is the part that people seem to not fully understand and relate to where they are camping. "as long as you have a stable cell signal, the device works very nicely."
Where many of us camp cell signals can fade, drop or not even be detectable. You may be able to text or even call, but getting stable cell signal is key to good streaming and uninterrupted service.
It all looks good in the demo and on paper, but bad signal equals bad picture.

Sometimes Firestick, CampWifi, Satellite, Cell and local TV antenna all fail to bring in the big race, the hot ball game you depended on watching. So we have to do what we did in the old days. Enjoy life without it!
It's those times when we try to see who can win a card game. Frankly, we will remember the "500" games more than most television anyway.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #31

A plethora of possibilities--none of them perfect

I appreciate all your responses. We have decided to continue for a month with Comcast, while researching all the possibilities. There certainly are enough to make it confusing

A friend used to say, "Life is tough. The first hundred years are the worst--after than, it's all downhill!"

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Old 06-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #32
Dahagen

I use DirectTV and have been for 20 years. I have a dish on my home and one on my motorhome and I just move the receiver back and forth. I also have the distant networks (ABC CBS ABC FOX) so I get the news.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #33

The one thing millennials have right is refusing to pay money to watch commercials. I cut the cord about a year ago and will never go back. At home we use hughesnet, (we live in the sticks, no other way to get high speed), and on the road we use a Verizon Wi-Fi hotspot. We have both a Chromecast and an Amazon Firestick. Bought the Chromecast first then added Firestick because Chromecast isn't designed well for watching tv.

The service we use mainly is Amazon Prime. It's primarily a shopping club with free shipping, I think about $10 a month, which just the shipping on my Roll N Lock paid for. But it includes a ton of video and music access. The Firestick works excellent with it, and we have also added Netflix, HBO, and Showtime. My total tv services bill is around $40 a month. The best thing is you can drop or add stuff anytime you want, no penalty. And I have not watched a commercial in a long long time.

What I am hoping/looking for is a Firestick-ish device that you can download movies to watch offline. THAT would be the stuff when it comes to remote boondocking.

I'm told that in a year or two broadband satellite internet will become much easier and cheaper and more portable. A new satellite system is in the works, I guess.
klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Okay, I 'll try again! They weren't at all interested when I talked to them on the phone on Monday. Maybe if they see me in person, it will make a difference...
Walk IN with your box and tell them you're cancelling due to the price rise. They should respond to a real threat...but you have to be prepared to go in a different direction. I'd opt for DISH if I could.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:26 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

We purchased a streambox over a year ago now and have not paid a cable.bill since. Works great and let's us watch whatever we want.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #36

I have Direct but not ATT, we have Verizon. I am stuck with Direct, I couldn’t go with Dish if I wanted too. I have a Trav’ler mounted on top of camper. Internet service was slow at my house so I cut that out and use Verizon for our internet. 3 smartphones, a jet pack and a iPad. $260 bucks a month, it will drop fifty bucks at the end of the year as the phones will be paid off. I’m kinda slow sometimes (upstairs) a Verizon salesman talked me into the Jetpack and going to beyond unlimited. That was a bad move on my part.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Websites I have been looking at say you can set up your phone as a Wifi hotspot (a pretty easy process on a smart phone) and stream the programs through the GoogleHome App. Has anyone tried that?
I have. Using a Windows laptop. Cell phone provides the continuity for both, then streamed from laptop to Chromecast. It's fine. The NSA Information Acquisition Device (Google Home App) is a little hinky, but not bad.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #38

I talked to a couple who have been full timers for about 6 years now. They installed two HD antennas... one on the rear window and one on a side window. They have them hooked together and they run into a Hauppauge WinTV USB tuner plugged into a laptop. The laptop is plugged into a 12v DC to 120v AC converter. The antenna's are powered with a 12 v DC line. They claim that they can get local channels just about everywhere they go even when driving down the road with their set up and can record a show while viewing another. Having the dual antennas maintains signal quality through the twists and turns.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #39

Yes it works great
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
I have. Using a Windows laptop. Cell phone provides the continuity for both, then streamed from laptop to Chromecast. It's fine. The NSA Information Acquisition Device (Google Home App) is a little hinky, but not bad.
I can't seem to be able to find a download link that works for the Google Home app for my Windows laptop.