Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #1

Temperature fluctuations in refrigerator

Hi,
I have been lurking here for awhile and have found some really good information. I do have a question about my Dometic Mod. #RM2354 refrigerator. I purchased a 2009 Flagstaff HW27SC recently and have been going through it in preparation for an extended trip this spring/summer. I have been monitioring my refrigerator connected to shore power. The freezer usually fluctuates between -2 and 7 degrees. The refrigerator runs about 33 - 37 degrees. In cold weather, mid to low 30's, the freezer will increase to above 32 deg. (this morning it was 33 deg. outside, the freezer was at 37 deg., up from 7 deg. last night). Is this normal due to the low ambient temps. Perhaps they just do not tolerate cold weather very well. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks to all who participate on this forum. It has been really helpful.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #2

My guess - the frig works by heating ammonia - if the outside temps are very low it might influence this. I have found that the propane flame seems much more effective than the electric heater. You might try it on propane to see what happens.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

This is what I use to monitor my fridge temp. I can try differant configurations and see if the temps are being maintained long term when loaded with food.

Amazon.com: ACU_RITE Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer 00986: Kitchen & Dining
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #4

Hi, I have that same monitoring system and have been pleased with it. I only wish the range would allow it to ride in my TV. On another forum someone compared these types of refrigerators to hear pumps so it is beginning to make sense as to why they do not do well in cold weather. Thanks for the replys.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #5

refrigerator

2014 Silverback. The frig runs fine and then suddenly the temp shoots up to 53 and stays . I have been told this is normal. But sometimes it does not go back down to the 35 area. Stuff gets warm. Having trouble getting some one to do something about it. It is RM1350 Dometic model. Been happening since we got it. Any suggestions.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator