Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2021, 10:07 PM   #1

The small grill that comes with new trailer…

I have a 2018 Forest River Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS. It is the second Forest River trailer that I have owned. Both trailers came with a small black grill that slips onto a rail that is mounted on the side of the trailer. Does anyone else have one of these grills?
Personally, I like the way it mounts, the way it cooks and the way it connects to the propane with a quick connect. To my dismay, I have found that certain parts to the grill tend to wear out quickly. The flame diverted plate on mine is beginning to disintegrate and I think the burner itself may be ready to fail.
These grills can be bought at Camper World for $80.00, and I was about to order another one after finding out that no one sells the parts. On a whim, I called the manufacturer to see if they sold the parts.
The representative on the phone told me that they do not sell the replacement parts…. they send them to you free…. Free?? FREE!!!! I am getting 2 new flame diverters AND a new burner for FREE!! The representative said to check out the grill and call if I needed any other parts… FREE!!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:55 AM   #2

We have one that came with ours. It seems too small so we will continue to use our Blackstone griddle
Robotics Team Coach
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2891BH
2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel
jdunkmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:24 AM   #3

We had one on our old Crusader that mounted to swing out bracket on the rear bumper. Used it for 6 years and worked like a champ. One thing I do is use Grill Mats it keeps all the grease and stuff from flaming up and dripping down on to the diverters. I have used these on grills at home also and they work great. Only drawback is you don't grill marks on meat.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
Defender of America

Got one with my TT. Used it exclusively until we got a Blackstone griddle. I prefer the small grill but my wife loves the Blackstone. The grill is used seldom now but we do continue to take it with us as an option. Thanks for the tip about free parts.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
Campaholic

We use our grill all the time but like you said the flame diverted rusted out. What is the name of the company that you contacted? I was going to attempt to make a new diverter but if I can get a new one for free, why not.
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #6

I was surprised when the "small black grill" was included with our Roo -- I would NOT have ordered it and was going to take it to Goodwill but, what the heck, tried it one time.

That was in 2005, coming up 17 years ago. Use it every camping trip. We sometimes eat better when camping: steak, fish, ribs for dinner. All cooked outdoors with minimal cleanup required.

It this little grill ever dies I'll bet another one.

Full disclosure: We don't camp to camp (if that makes sense). We camp when touring and use the camper as a base. Off touring after breakfast, "home" for dinner on the grill-- usually hitting a local market on the way.

-- Chuck
Old 12-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I have a 2018 Forest River Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS. It is the second Forest River trailer that I have owned. Both trailers came with a small black grill that slips onto a rail that is mounted on the side of the trailer. Does anyone else have one of these grills?
Personally, I like the way it mounts, the way it cooks and the way it connects to the propane with a quick connect. To my dismay, I have found that certain parts to the grill tend to wear out quickly. The flame diverted plate on mine is beginning to disintegrate and I think the burner itself may be ready to fail.
These grills can be bought at Camper World for $80.00, and I was about to order another one after finding out that no one sells the parts. On a whim, I called the manufacturer to see if they sold the parts.
The representative on the phone told me that they do not sell the replacement parts…. they send them to you free…. Free?? FREE!!!! I am getting 2 new flame diverters AND a new burner for FREE!! The representative said to check out the grill and call if I needed any other parts… FREE!!!
Glad to hear they took care of you. Is this the grill with only one burner? That would be a deal breaker for me. I need to be able to do indirect grilling (as in chicken, ribs, things that take long cooking time), and I need a lot of BTU's to sear steaks and the like. I'm glad they only provided me with a piece of junk Coleman grill, so I didn't feel bad buying a stand alone table top grill that has 2 burners that each put out 10,000 btu.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #8

Are you talking about the Aussie grill?
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

I don't know what an aussie grill is. Google only shows restaurants. This is the dual burner grill I got: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Si...ill/5005467189
Old 12-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #10

The black grill parts can be ordered at:
National Supply LLC
2200 Industrial Parkway
Elkhart, IN. 46516

The model number is:YH1801RV-1
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #11

I acknowledge the correspondence about the grill talked about, but I have a suggestion. Consider the small Weber grill that with removing the regulator and some fittings, you can use with the propane connection on your RV and/or with some adjustment, you can use the Weber on a picnic without your RV. These Weber table-top grill are worth every penny for great heat controlled cooking. Best grill ever, and you will see a lot of campers using these grills.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #12

The Aussie grills are made in Tennessee by Meco Corporation and parts can be ordered from them too. The phone# is: 800-251-7558.

The Aussie is a great little grill. I've been using mine for about 10 years now
2021 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
oldcomputerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #13

I used the one that came with m a couple of times. Didn't like the way it cooked, I had a hard time controlling temps and flame. HATED the effort to get it cleaned up after use. Bought a Blackstone and sold the grill at the next international rally. Hopefully, whomever bought mine will see this post if they need parts.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I don't know what an aussie grill is. Google only shows restaurants. This is the dual burner grill I got: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Si...ill/5005467189
Kris, how do you like the way your Pit Boss two-burner grill cooks? are flame and temperature relatively easy to control? I'm looking for a replacement for the one I have now.

Thanks!

Mike
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post

I believe we may have the same unit. Is it a coleman? If so what number did you call. Thanks
Old 12-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #16
SJB

Thanks for sharing your find. That is great news as we have the same grill.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #17

Grill

I used the original that I believe you are talking about. Mine did not cook well and I switched to the Pit Grill-2 burners w/ 2 controls and very pleased. I gave $129 for it on Amazon. I also prefer not to cook right next to my camper and to cook on the picnic table w/ a grill guard. I also have a Camp Chef portable-all stainless that would be a great replacement for the factory grill. Much better made w/ a locking top w/ grease catch tray built in. The Camp Chef is almost exactly the same size as the original. Mine is left exposed and has survived 10 years and still working.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:30 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Kris, how do you like the way your Pit Boss two-burner grill cooks? are flame and temperature relatively easy to control? I'm looking for a replacement for the one I have now.

Thanks!

Mike
That grill is sold under many brands, including Cuisinart. The Pros: 2 burners, pretty easy to clean when you lift off grate and burner baffles/shields. Cons: When slow cooking ribs and such and you need 250-275 temps, it gets too hot even with one burner off and the other all the way on low. The workaround: I turn the knob back to high, and past that like I am turning the burner off. Takes a gentle touch but you can get flame lower if you budge it very slowly. The other con is wind. There are enough vent holes on both sides and a big gap at rear of lid that let enough wind in to blow out burner when it is very low. Took some judicious tin foil placement to block wind down on the Outer Banks of NC.

And then the price. I got it a couple years ago on sale at HD or Lowes for under 100 bucks. I'm a big Weber fanboy, but can't justify spending that much on a grill I will only use when RV'ing.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:27 PM   #19

Thanks for info. Who did you call??
Normutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #20
Retired Panpsychist

We've used the black grill included with our 23IKSS a number of times. The first two times we had it attached to the rail on the side of the TT. It was very convenient, but the odors permeated the rear bunk so we tried zipping the windows shut before grilling. That didn't seem to help.

So now we use it on a table (with the stand and a grill guard) located a bit away from the TT so the smoke and odors waft into the sky instead of into our awning and rear bunk. We also use the absolutely wonderful Blackstone griddle, which has pretty much replaced the included grill...except when we need to cook a lot of food. Then we have both going with a "wye" to our QC port.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grill, trailer