Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

Thermostat mod for 2021 Wolf Pup?

The AC in my new Wolf Pup has the controls on the bottom of the AC unit. When the AC is turned on it stays on continuously and the compressor just kicks on and off. Is it possible to connect a thermostat somehow so it will turn off when it hits a specific temperature? I have seen posts on doing it on older campers, not sure if it can be done with a newer one.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:48 PM   #2

Is it a Coleman Mach air conditioner?

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-mach/accessories/bluetooth-ceiling-assembly
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #3

Yes, it is the Coleman Mach 48000. But it doesn't use Bluetooth and is not factory set up to work with a remote wired thermostat - So currently the fan does not turn off with the compressor. It is on continuously. I know some people on the net added a relay connected to one of the AC power cables, and triggered the relay with a thermostat, so the entre unit would switch off when the set temp was hit. Looks pretty easy, but it would be nice to do something less invasive.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #4

That's why I posted the bluetooth ceiling assembly. It controls the fan as well as the compressor. It's a replacement to your current ceiling assembly. It includes this control box:
https://www.amazon.com/AIRXCEL-83307...dp/B01H7RW4C0/

and you don't need to run wires for a remote thermostat.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:36 PM   #5

That looks much harder to install than a simple relay with a thermostat. Has anyone out there tried this mod?
Old 06-11-2021, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
That looks much harder to install than a simple relay with a thermostat. Has anyone out there tried this mod?
Do you mean replace the ceiling assembly or the relay mod? I replaced the two-knob ceiling assembly in my Geo Pro G17RK with the bluetooth one (I got it off Ebay for a little bit cheaper.) Takes about 1 hour, minimal sill required and worked great. You get the advantage of digital control, the auto fan on/off, and remote control via a smart phone, as well as the two direct A/C outlets in addition to the side outlets.

I have not done, nor researched the relay mod. The control box in my second post allows you to use a remote wall thermostat for the a/c, but you need to run a wire.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #7

I finally got a response that the module will work in my 48000 series Mach AC unit. but, i also found everyone was out of stock. So, I backordered one. Should be a nice winter project, Ha Ha.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:05 AM   #8

I’d love to just figure out to make the fan about half speed. Once it’s up to temp and just maintaining its way too fast for no good reason and virtually all of the noise is actually from the fan not the a/c.

Concerned about if it would cause the a/c to freeze up though if there wasn’t enough air flow. …
JohnGalt1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #9

I got the part and installed it. First, if you do this get the suggested Coleman thermostat if you actually want to get it installed. Next, the thermostat needs 12vdc connected to it. I used the radio power wire - the same wire I used to put in a 12v car connector for my tireminder repeater. Next, I had no way to compare it after I was done, but I swear the low speed fan was quieter.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
I got the part and installed it. First, if you do this get the suggested Coleman thermostat if you actually want to get it installed. Next, the thermostat needs 12vdc connected to it. I used the radio power wire - the same wire I used to put in a 12v car connector for my tireminder repeater. Next, I had no way to compare it after I was done, but I swear the low speed fan was quieter.
Thanks for the follow up. It's too bad that the fan has to be so fast... on/off with AC doesn't fix the problem it just makes it worse because you'll pick up that happening in your sleep and it will wake you up. It's so loud that I checked and continual exposure will actually harm your hearing.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1717 View Post
Thanks for the follow up. It's too bad that the fan has to be so fast... on/off with AC doesn't fix the problem it just makes it worse because you'll pick up that happening in your sleep and it will wake you up. It's so loud that I checked and continual exposure will actually harm your hearing.
Most people are used to their home furnace/AC going on and off at night. If it bothers you simply change the thermostats tolerance a couple degrees. That will make the AC go much less often during the night.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Most people are used to their home furnace/AC going on and off at night. If it bothers you simply change the thermostats tolerance a couple degrees. That will make the AC go much less often during the night.
The difference of course is that my home furnace I can barely hear versus the jet engine that is the A/C in the wolf pub. My brain can ignore 20 db, it can't ignore a measured 79 db.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1717 View Post
The difference of course is that my home furnace I can barely hear versus the jet engine that is the A/C in the wolf pub. My brain can ignore 20 db, it can't ignore a measured 79 db.
Then simply change the tolerance of your thermostat. Or. better yet, shut off the AC.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Then simply change the tolerance of your thermostat. Or. better yet, shut off the AC.
Shutting off the A/C in the summer in 85 degrees with 100% humidity is not an option obvious, and changing the tolerances just changes the number of times you're awakened by the racket.

All because the unit doesn't use a dc fan and pump with an inverter and thus has fast (loud) and faster (slightly louder) mode.

Probably going to have to replace the unit with either a Mr. Cool heat pump or a DC unit and add an inverter so I can get it under control... *sigh*.

Tags
2021, thermostat, wolf pup