Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

Thinking of Dish vs Direct TV

At home we are getting ready to dump our U verse Internet/TV combo as the promo period has expired. Not pleased with the internet service at all and will likely change. This has brought up something that might be worth thinking about and that is going with Satellite at the house with the possibility of using a portable antenna for the RV. I am not big on TV at the campsite with the family but I do miss the sports and Saturday football in the fall. At the racetrack i can see this as a big benefit. I don't necessarily like the looks of the dish on the house, but we should be able to shield it from view on one side of the house. Still looking into this. In any case, anyone have experience with either provider and who has the better benefits when it comes to a mobile set up?
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #2

I just had direct tv hooked up in my house and plan on having it in my tt next summer. Direct tv was good. Was turned off of dish because of foreign sales people.

Life is a highway!!!!!
jimdd810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #3

If I didn't have Uverse (i work for the company and get a discount plan), i would go with Direct TV for the NFL Ticket package. Previously had Direct TV and was very happy with them. I miss having the football package.

On a side note, AT&T bought Direct TV. I hope this leads to the NFL package being on Uverse in 2-3 years.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Dish has a pay by the month with "no contract" plan. Direct does not.

If you have Comcast or Fios at home (like we do) and want satellite on the road, Dish is the way to go, IMO.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post

On a side note, AT&T bought Direct TV. I hope this leads to the NFL package being on Uverse in 2-3 years.

That'll never happen!

Somedays I wake up Grumpy, somedays I just let her sleep......(Ray Scott)
Old 10-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
RKR

I just moved and went with Uverse for the house. We had Direct for about 10 years and they were great. When I dealt with their customer service they were great each time. Only drawback was the interference from the weather during a storm.
ATT hasn't been bad so far and tried them because of a good promo deal.
If we do watch TV while camping it's just to watch a DVD. My neighbor has Direct and all he does is take a receiver from house with him. He says there's no extra charge for it.

Sent from my high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have Dish at home and will never go back to Direct. I don't care if they offered me free satellite for 5 years. I was a customer for 7 years, dvr went out one night for no reason on a Sunday. They said they'd send someone out Thursday. After paying a monthly bill for 7 years, I think they should have been at my house the next day. I told them, "if you wait until Thursday to send a technician, the technician will be picking up your equipment" I called Dish on Monday and have had them for the last 8 years. Love it. I also have a tailgater so I just take a box out of the bedroom and put it in the RV for tailgating and when we go camping. No charges and I get the same channels I get at the house. If I am out of state, I would have to call Dish to get locals wherever I am, but I usually don't. Over the air is fine with me for news and such. Hope this helps.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
I have Dish at home and will never go back to Direct. I don't care if they offered me free satellite for 5 years. I was a customer for 7 years, dvr went out one night for no reason on a Sunday. They said they'd send someone out Thursday. After paying a monthly bill for 7 years, I think they should have been at my house the next day. I told them, "if you wait until Thursday to send a technician, the technician will be picking up your equipment" I called Dish on Monday and have had them for the last 8 years. Love it. I also have a tailgater so I just take a box out of the bedroom and put it in the RV for tailgating and when we go camping. No charges and I get the same channels I get at the house. If I am out of state, I would have to call Dish to get locals wherever I am, but I usually don't. Over the air is fine with me for news and such. Hope this helps.

Bombdoc, I'm getting ready to dump DTV and switch to DISH and was wondering which model reciver you are using to take on the road? Is it HD/DVR? Does the tailgator require two coax cable to feed the receiver? How do you mount your tailgator?

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
Bombdoc, I'm getting ready to dump DTV and switch to DISH and was wondering which model reciver you are using to take on the road? Is it HD/DVR? Does the tailgator require two coax cable to feed the receiver? How do you mount your tailgator?
211k receiver

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I have the Winegard Pathway X-1 and it is HD AND DVR ready.

Costs a one time fee of 40 bucks to turn on the DVR and an HD package.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #11

Thanks guys, I'm interested in getting a package deal from DISH (receivers,home installation, tailgator, etc) when I make the moveto DISH and try to get as much as possible for the least amount while I can. I'll just take one of the home boxes on the road with me so no need to activate each time I hit the road. My old slimline Directv dish fell over one too many times and I've not been able to point it lately without cursing. I like the idea of having the system point itself while I enjoy a cold beer.

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'm interested in getting a package deal from DISH (receivers,home installation, tailgator, etc) when I make the moveto DISH and try to get as much as possible for the least amount while I can. I'll just take one of the home boxes on the road with me so no need to activate each time I hit the road. My old slimline Directv dish fell over one too many times and I've not been able to point it lately without cursing. I like the idea of having the system point itself while I enjoy a cold beer.
The X-1 is DISH only and will NOT work with Direct.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The X-1 is DISH only and will NOT work with Direct.

Yes, I plan on switching out my entire home and RV satellite systems from DTV to DISH. I no longer want to have to point my own dish on the road. Thanks again guys.

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 10-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Yes, I plan on switching out my entire home and RV satellite systems from DTV to DISH. I no longer want to have to point my own dish on the road. Thanks again guys.
Look into the hopper with joey for your home.
We enjoy it!
All local channels are automatically recorded between 6 pm and 10 pm every day if you so choose!

Turbs
Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to Dolphballs
I have had DirecTV since 1994 when they first came out and was on a waiting list to get it. What minor problems I have had over the years have always been dealt with swiftly and professionally. As far as camping with satellite I can tell you that I am the resident TV guy that goes around helping others getting there systems aimed. I have found that all dish systems (HD and standard) is way more sensitive to aim and is next to impossible with ANY obstructions. Direct also has its corks. I am a huge TV junky but when it comes to camping I have learned to stay away from HD from either provider. I suggest an 18 inch round dish with standard receivers. Once I grab my satellite to set up, I'm watching TV in five minutes. Never have I not been able to get signal with this setup. A good meter and compass is also required.
Dolphballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #16

We have Dish at home - With a two year contract they furnish the receiver and the manual Dish - You buy the Dish tripod - about $40. That requires manual setup. Adds $7.00 per month to your Dish bill. Takes a few times to learn how to point the dish but works fine.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #17

If you have Dish dvr's in your home and do a lot of recording can you just unhook them and hook them up in your RV and watch what is recorded if you don't have a sat. dish?
2016 YZ450FX
2018 RZR Turbo S
jm28257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:16 AM   #18

I directv at home and foolishly bought a HD receiver and satellite for HD tv in the TT. Very hard to aim by yourself and get HD. It is SWiM technology and the antenna power meter is not compatible for aligning the dish. Yes I have the apps on my Iphone and they get me real close to the signal. If I were to do it again I would do like Dolphballs did and go with SD system. Great picture and just a meter and compass will get you up and running. If I didn't have directv in the house I woukd go with Dish, more options for satellite TV than directv.

TV 2012 Chevrolet Silverado CC 5.3
TT 2007 Puma 30QBSS
Reese 12000 WDH
Reese Anti-sway bar
mwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm28257 View Post
If you have Dish dvr's in your home and do a lot of recording can you just unhook them and hook them up in your RV and watch what is recorded if you don't have a sat. dish?

I believe from my days as a dish technician, your DVR needs a signal from the satellite in order to watch the stuff on your dvr. May have changed in recent years but you couldn't watch the dvr without a signal a few years ago. Jmo

Somedays I wake up Grumpy, somedays I just let her sleep......(Ray Scott)
Old 10-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm28257 View Post
Just did what you ask this summer.
No dish whatsoever but watched recorded shows

Turbs