Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Third party backup cameras

Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party backup cameras?

We just purchased a Rockwood Roo 233S and are enjoying it but driving is a little stressful not being able to see behind me.

The trailer came preinstalled for the furion backup camera. This basically means the furion housing with it's connector wired up to the running lights.

From Amazon the furion camera is nearly twice what other backup cameras are running, and from the specs it looks to be an inferior camera system to the competition. I would also like a camera that has a monitor that attaches over my rearview mirror or better yet throws the signal to my phone.

From what I can see I could cut the existing furion cable exposing the wiring to my running lights and splice any new camera into that. Attaching the 3rd party housing to trailer might be a little problematic which is why I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any luck in doing this.

Thanks
RooBeDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Backup Camera

I just purchased a backup camera from Amazon with a 7" display, Wireless.
Digital wireless Kit BY LeeKooLuu. Works fantastic for a price of $159.00,
shipping free.

LeeKooLuu
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #3

I just put a $40 backup camera on my Tow Vehicle that uses my smartphone as the monitor. Got tired of the up and down while backing under my trailer coupler.

Range is good but it needs both a continuous (while ignition is on) power source as well as a connection to the backup lighting source. Both could be overcome depending on how much wiring one wants to do as all those connections exist where the umbilical cable is attached to the trailer.

Camera is about the size of a large ice cube. Picture is great on my phone and since it uses the phone's wifi rather than bluetooth it has great range.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I just put a $40 backup camera on my Tow Vehicle that uses my smartphone as the monitor. Got tired of the up and down while backing under my trailer coupler.

Range is good but it needs both a continuous (while ignition is on) power source as well as a connection to the backup lighting source. Both could be overcome depending on how much wiring one wants to do as all those connections exist where the umbilical cable is attached to the trailer.

Camera is about the size of a large ice cube. Picture is great on my phone and since it uses the phone's wifi rather than bluetooth it has great range.
Any other info on the camera? Link?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
Retired Navy

I installed a camera system on my previous motorhome, a Chinook Maverick, so I could see my toad. I got an inexpensive system off of eBay and ran the wires thru the cabinets and closets. It was a 12 volt system, and I powered it from the house battery wiring. Easy to do.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
Any other info on the camera? Link?
This is the one I got:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put the Furion on my trailer using the pre-wire and base provided but this little camera makes it super easy to line up the trailer ball/coupler on the first try. No more dented license plates of having to get worn out from getting in and out of the truck, jocking foreward, back, left, right.

Even when my wife was alive she didn't understand where exactly the truck needed to be so I still had to make several trips. With the camera, no more.

Just get a good, solid, license plate frame and attach it where either a Dealer Name or "cute remark" would be printed. The mount is a little "lightweight" but once one has it all adjusted the way they like, epoxy the whole mount and camera into a solid piece with some epoxy putty. The stuff that comes in two sticks you squeeze together to mix can be molded into a fairly decent mount that will keep it in place and protect it from accidental hits from a boot or shoe when climbing on the step.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
StlClay

Try

Tadi Brothers. On the web but we saw them at the Hershey show 3 years ago. Bought a 5 “ monitor and camera. Bought a second camera for my tow vehicles a year later. Comes with all you need for wireless hook up. Can’t say enough about the equipment and the company. Many different models available

Good Luck
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

We purchased a Switch Hitch Bluetooth back up camera. It requires no wiring and uses your cell phone for the screen. We are very happy with it. I think it cost somewhere around $160 so more than what we had tried before but we like it much better than the cheaper one that used wires. I think we purchased it direct from Switch Hitch.
Dee Silbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I just purchased a backup camera from Amazon with a 7" display, Wireless.
Digital wireless Kit BY LeeKooLuu. Works fantastic for a price of $159.00,
shipping free.

LeeKooLuu
Looking at buying one for my 35ft tt and F150. Thinking of splcing in to my furion connection.
Have you hooked yours up yet? Your thoughts?
rmanduch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #10

I just took the Furrion Vision 2 FOS48TAPK-BL that came with my unit off, and stuck it in the console. It works, but I can't see diddley squat on it. Supposed to be color, supposed to be clear, and supposed to be big enough. It ain't. It's pretty much useless unless you want to see 3 feet behind your bumper, and only then in perfect daylight.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #11

Someone has written on an earlier thread that the pre-wired connection for the Furrion is the opposite from all the other cameras. If you don't mind a little cut-and-splice you will have no problem.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooBeDo View Post
Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party backup cameras?

We just purchased a Rockwood Roo 233S and are enjoying it but driving is a little stressful not being able to see behind me.

The trailer came preinstalled for the furion backup camera. This basically means the furion housing with it's connector wired up to the running lights.

From Amazon the furion camera is nearly twice what other backup cameras are running, and from the specs it looks to be an inferior camera system to the competition. I would also like a camera that has a monitor that attaches over my rearview mirror or better yet throws the signal to my phone.

From what I can see I could cut the existing furion cable exposing the wiring to my running lights and splice any new camera into that. Attaching the 3rd party housing to trailer might be a little problematic which is why I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any luck in doing this.

Thanks
Before you get too much farther on this discussion, it appears you want information on a "rear view camera" sometimes referred to as a rear facing camera. A backup camera is designed to function only when the vehicle is in reverse. The major difference is how the head unit is wired. Looking at the adverts on the net, it can be confusing.

We have used Rear View Safety camera equipment for years but these were hard wired. They do make wireless. Boyo has also been a winner.

What I would suggest in your search is to get a wide view camera. Both the RVS and the Boyo cameras we have use undistorted 170 degree views. Those wide views are very helpful when changing lanes and seeing what's coming up on you in adjoining lanes. They are also great when backing up.

I can assure you that the rear camera will put pleasure back in your towing.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #13

We bought a $67 wireless back up camera from Amazon for our 233s. I wired it to the middle top running light. I turn on the fog lights on my TV while driving. I love being able to see while changing lanes and backing into spots.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
We bought a $67 wireless back up camera from Amazon for our 233s. I wired it to the middle top running light. I turn on the fog lights on my TV while driving. I love being able to see while changing lanes and backing into spots.
Which one did you get?
RooBeDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #15

I have to give the recommendation in this area of "Don't buy too cheap". Classic example of you "get what you pay for". Over the course of the past few years I have gone through numerous systems. All made in China and all cheap and all a waste of money. I have had problems mainly from lousy reception of the wireless and hardware not lasting too long due to water penetration or just plain cheap crap. I had the Furion on my current 5er since bought new and it worked fine. It came with the unit so the cost was pretty much transparent. I have a 2018 Denali Dually which I installed all the factory camera setup which included the Trailer Cam and that system works great right out of the box. Echomaster manufactures that setup. I think they sell individual units also. As mentioned before Tadibrothers seems to sell good units. I was looking at them when I was doing homework for buying another replacement. By the reviews they stand by their products and people have mentioned they are very customer friendly. I guess the main recommendation I can give is read, read, read, and then read some more. Read the reviews, installation, etc. Is it something you can do yourself. Is it cheap, what is the angle of view , is it infrared meaning you can still use it in dark/night time conditions. Very important if you arrive frequently at a CG late on a Friday night (I still work and do a lot of weekend camping trying to get the most out of it. Remember whatever you install may have to go with the unit when you sell/trade it in. Good luck on your research because there is so much information and so many items to choose from.
rock-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #16
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

[QUOTE=RooBeDo;1910393]Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party backup cameras?

Just be sure that what you buy is a high speed observing + back up camera so you are able to see while driving and while backing. I purchased the Furrion system on Amazon for about $350 and it is an excellent system. You might be able to connect it to an app, don't know. I use my phone for GPS often when traveling so I didn't want to worry about using my phone to see my camera image (or TPMS for that matter).
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #17

I believe it is AutoVox brand. It's a wireless system.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #18

Echoing the TADI Bros option

Newbie trailer camper here still learning the nuances of backing up... The dealership recommended the Furion option (ours was prewired), but after researching reviews and YouTube demos - I came to the conclusion that it wasn't a good choice for me. I even looked at the Garmin product (for the nav display), but that video quality seemed really bad. I opted for a dual camera solution from Tadi... a hardwired license mount backup cam on the TV (wired always on) with a wireless cam on the TT. Being lazy - I also got their adapter cable but in hindsight - snips & solder will work better. I liked the rear-view mirror overlay monitors, but none of them fit my vehicle (2002 GMC Sierra) due to the OnStar control hump on the bottom - so 5" monitor is goose neck mounted to my seat frame. Thus far, these have worked perfectly for me. Full solution was comparable in cost to the Furion single camera product. TT cam powers up with the running lights. If you want back up only, you will need to rewire to backup lights – but I prefer to see what’s behind me during driving. Views are easily toggled with the monitor’s integrated source switch, while leaving a nav map displaying.
Quality wise – I find the Tadi units as good as most of the better options. What I like about them is that they offer a wide array of modular options so you can piece together a solution that exactly meets your specific needs – plus they offer phone-in pre AND post sales assistance. The cheaper options are take-it or leave-it and integrating a multi-camera solution can turn into a hemorrhaging nosebleed of dissimilar product integration.
That said, I do recommend you consider you your exact requirements before you order. With so many options, its best to avoid the “I-coulda / I-shoulda” syndromes. While Tadi support can be helpful, they’re not patient enough to run through all of your install/op scenarios… Most installs are relatively simple, but if you’re concerned of final fit/finish appearance – spend some time on their website and ask the right questions before ordering. They do offer a 30-day return/exchange, so that helps if you do make a mistake… (and they’re very good at honoring that) just don’t order and get to it later…
spsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #19

I purchased and inexpensive backup camera (wireless) and wired it to the running lights. I put my lights on and it was on whenever I was driving. Placed camera on license plate frame and wired it to license plate light. Transmitter behind license plate. Worked like a charm.
aldman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #20

I've bought two, first was a chinese POS, still waiting on my refund for that one that never worked with unintelligible wiring diagrams and instructions and foreign tech support.

Then bought one that uses an app, looked real good.......until I put the phone in its holder on center console in truck, dropped the signal.

Very interested in getting something good and would prefer to use a phone app, don't want something else cluttering the dash. Mine is mostly there to observe/check the stuff on the back of the trailer (like my dirtbike!).
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote