Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #1

Thoughts on washer/ dryer

We just bought a Cedar Creek Silverback...haven't picked it up yet. We're tossing around the idea of getting a washer/ dryer or a combo. I'm interested in your thoughts about the pros and cons of each type. I realize that either one will only do a small load, but I'm wondering HOW small ?
Thanks!
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
Always Learning

It’s pretty small but really isn’t a problem. My family of 4 has use a combo pretty much exclusively for 2 1/2 to 3 years now. We run a load overnight nightly and then will run another couple during the day depending on what needs done.

A typically load might be a couple of adult jeans and a couple of shirts.

The small loads are really nice because they don’t feel like work. Quick to put in, quick to fold, etc.

Whatever you get - don’t bother with the ventless! Vented or bust.

I talk about all this and more in this article:
http://learntorv.com/clothing-washer-dryer/
Old 01-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

We went with the stacked washer and dryer from Splendide. Had them about 4 years so far and no problems. We like the separate units because you can be drying a load while washing another. I agree with ependydad, only get a vented unit.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #4

Our combo Splendede gets used nearly every day, sometimes several times in a day. We are snowbirds for 5 months every winter and there are only 2 of us to dirty so many things.
It handles a reasonable sized load such as: 1pr jeans, 2pr jean shorts, 2pr socks; 2 pr jeans, 2 shirts, 2pr socks; 4 shirts, 4pr socks; 6 sets underwear; 2 bath towels, 2 wash cloths; 4-6 hand/kitchen dry cloths. You soon get the hang of it. It will handle 4-6 pillow cases or 1-2 sheets, but, mattress protectors, coverlet’s etc. all go to the coin laundry.
You really must SHAKE out your jeans/shirts/shorts between wash and dry cycles or you will have wrinkles that are set in stone.
I would also vote for the vented, although it gave me great pause as I was drilling that 4” hole in my sidewall for its cover. I installed the optional drain pan under the unit with a line plumbed to the exterior. Carpet removal below it is a must and I cut a piece of 3/4” plywood, screwed firmly to the floor, for it to sit on. Best wishes.
Travel safe
FordHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #5

Yup. Cutting that 4 inch hole is scary. Measure 97 times and cut once! You have to stop your hole saw as soon as it cuts through. I had a 120 volt AC power line running right through there! It had enough slack that I could route it to one side. I also installed a drain pan and plumbed it through the floor right behind the hitch.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #6

We have a stackable unit and ours, and are very pleased with it,I have heard pros & cons on the combo and the wife is pleased with what we have, so as far as I am concerned that's all that matters
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

Ditto above.

We have the stackable unit.

Momma is pleased. We spent 6 weeks touring the Midwest this year plus several one week trips.

We come home with clean clothes. What a luxury.

Wonderful on those wet periods to toss wet stuff in the dryer. No hanging clothes everywhere. We had to break down and set up two days in pouring rain. Four sets of wet clothes and jackets. Dry before cocktail time was over!

Yep, the units are smaller. Easy to do two loads between dinner and bedtime.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
We have a stackable unit and ours, and are very pleased with it,I have heard pros & cons on the combo and the wife is pleased with what we have, so as far as I am concerned that's all that matters
Yup. A happy wife is a happy life, I always say!

Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #9

X2 on the stackable unit, we have the splendide units and our is almost the same size as a residential unit, we love ours!!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #10

We went with a LG 2.3 cu. ft. washer. A little tight getting it into the bedroom but the washer/dryer closet had plenty of room. I think I have enough room to stack the matching dryer on top but, DW doesn't want one. She likes clothes hung out to dry on the line. Since we got ours, LG has come out with a ventless washer/dryer combo of the same size. The LG can handle a whole lot more. Yesterday one load consisted of a set of king sheets, several pairs of socks, undies (his & hers) and 3 or 4 light pull over shirts. The second load consisted of 4 large bath towels, couple of dish cloths & dish towels & a sweatshirt & sweatpants.

What's nice about the LG is it's self balancing. If the load is off balance at the start of the spin cycle, it will change its' speed until the load redistributes itself then spin dry like a banchee at regular speed!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...88HW/207024938

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...888W/207102720

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...M3488HW/207024
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160207_145445.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	194784  
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #11

Stackable vented. Done twice as fast. Combo unit dries hot and wrinkles. I've had both. Stackable, space permitting is the way to go. If no space, vented combo. Can't beat not having to run to the laundry all the time. Besides, pays for itself.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #12

We have the separate washer and dryer from Splendid. Vented system. We've used it daily for over two years with no problems. Wife loves it. You do have to get used to vibration from the washer.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #13

I installed a stacked unit in my camper and I wished I had not. I would like to sell my washer/dryer. Our unit is in the living part, if the washer/dryer was in the bedroom it would be different. It takes to long to wash and dry small loads plus we can wash once a week in a Landry for two hours, try that in a unit in the camper. The dryer is 110, it takes awhile to dry each load. The washer/dryer shakes the whole camper plus we have a hard time hearing the tv. I would not get a washer/dryer if I could do it over, just takes to long the wash and dry
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #14

Oh, BTW, the LG's are very quiet. They have a chime that goes off when the load is done or sometimes, we wouldn't even know it was done.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It’s pretty small but really isn’t a problem. My family of 4 has use a combo pretty much exclusively for 2 1/2 to 3 years now. We run a load overnight nightly and then will run another couple during the day depending on what needs done.

A typically load might be a couple of adult jeans and a couple of shirts.

The small loads are really nice because they don’t feel like work. Quick to put in, quick to fold, etc.

I talk about all this and more in this article:
http://learntorv.com/clothing-washer-dryer/

Thanks for the article. I have a C now so no room, but hoping for an A in 5 years or so (still no toad planned). Solo most of the time so no big deal, except when needed and not available. Any comments about odors in the RV or winterizing difficulties?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Thanks for the article. I have a C now so no room, but hoping for an A in 5 years or so (still no toad planned). Solo most of the time so no big deal, except when needed and not available. Any comments about odors in the RV or winterizing difficulties?

No odors at all. We do have to run a lint clean out periodically but that isn’t bad.

Winterization for us has been wintering in Florida! But Splendide has published instructions for a more proper winterizing.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #17

Stackable for sure. Bigger loads than a combo. Quiet. Dry a load while another is washing. Had a vented combo and never again says my wife. CW had both washer and dryer on sale plus $59 installation. It was worth that to have them carry them upstairs and especially cut the hole.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #18

As full timers we would rather have the closet space. Plus, the washer or dryer loads are so small. We have never stopped at a RV park facility that did not have a laundry available
Old 01-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #19

I didn't want to lose the closet room so I installed the combo Splendide and love it. Cut your 4 inch hole from each side so you don't splinter out your outside finish. I cut the inside first to make sure there was no interference in the wall (even though it had a "drill here" mark). Then I let the 1/4 inch lead drill go through the outside wall for center. Then I went outside and finished going back through.

I went to my local Lowes store and bought stainless water lines to replace the ones that came with the unit. I also bought a long length of flexible metal duct to use from the unit to the wall. I used some good epoxy to really secure the flex duct to the back collar on the Splendide unit. Definitely get a vented unit...don't even consider the ventless. I did not put a pan under mine and did not remove the carpet. I did use the clamps to secure it to the floor with some good large screws. Have not had any problems through three years of a lot of use.

We wash a lot of small loads...just the two of us most of the time. I usually start a load when we are going to be gone or outside for an hour or two. Small loads will wrinkle a lot less than a full load. I usually set my timer so they will still have a very slight bit of moisture in them when done and then shake them out and hang them up or put them back in for another few minutes. Experience will tell you what works best. For me, the stackable units had no advantage since I am not going to be washing so much that I need to be washing and drying at the same time. Just keep up every day or every other day and that works well for us. Keep an eye on your grey tank level, my shower will back up with grey water if I let it get too full. No way would I go back to hanging around a camp laundry. One of the very best chunks of money I've ever spent for an RV accessory.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #20

Washer Combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We have a combo and it works great. Can run on a delay timer to start whenever you wish. Put in dirty clothes, take out clean, dry clothes without any further handling.

However, our unvented puts much heat and humidity inside the room..Vented is a must!
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote