Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Paul & Dianne

Titan Flame Fireplace Fail

Well, found out why the fireplace was kicking off almost immediately after turning on. We used it all last winter in FL without any issues, but trying to use it last week, it would kick off almost as soon as I turned it on.

I figured that it was an overtemp kicking in, and found it when I got home this week. The riveted connection between the heater wire and the OT switch failed. I'm sure that this was heating up at the bad connection, and tripping the switch... one way to do it I guess! I confirmed by testing it at home, aside from the fact that the connection came apart as I was examining it.

I don't have any bright ideas on how to safely repair this...does anybody else? Not really wanting to use a screw or bolt, for the same reason the OEM didn't. And I don't have anything small enough to try to drill out the old rivet and re-rivet. Aside from that, nothing occurring to me to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6776.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	240338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6778.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	240339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6781.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	240341  
Old 10-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Team

I assume the spade goes on the blackened post.
I'd clean up both parts with fine emery cloth or steel wool and put it back together and use a center punch or something similar to flare the post to hold it together. That's likely a temporary fix, so it's probably time to source a new switch.

Are there any markings on the switch?
Old 10-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
Paul & Dianne

Well, I haven't checked the switch for markings. The problem is, they mounted the switch on a set of posts with rivets that go through the substrate, the post, the switch, and the terminal. I think that the original rivet was not done well and that there was insufficient head to hold it all together.

So, since the first post I drilled out the remains of the rivet. Turns out that a 3/32 rivet would work, assuming that I could get it installed which is iffy since the heater is now assembled and I'm sure they did it when it was in pieces. Trying to put a steel pop rivet in might also just pull through the substrate as the head tried to form too. I guess I could try, wouldn't be any worse off.

I'd like to repair this with another rivet... assuming that I could get it in there... but OTOH I don't want to burn down the camper either. Especially with us in it! Thanks for commenting, though. I hate to buy a whole new FP, but may end up doing that.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #4

File each side,test to see if solder will stick to both pieces.if it does clamp and solder.if solder doesn't stick nothing hurt.
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fireplace