Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #1

Tracvision R5 Antenna

I bought an old trailer that has a Tracvision R5 installed, with no information included. On-line, I read that it picks up satellite signals but.....do I have to pair it with purchasing a cable company contract? I DO see some flyers about Dish but I'd REALLY like to avoid that! I know, I know, some of you must be choking with laughter at my ignorance!!! I'm willing to risk it. Can't know by magic!

Thanks,

Sue A
suzea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:06 AM   #2

Tracvision R5

So, after much ado, I've learned that Dish network changed their satellite interaction methods about 2 yrs ago, and they pretty much won't interface with Tracvision satellite antennas any more.

DirecTV will still work, but probably only for about another year, as they will be adopting the same system Dish has adopted. Also, since the previous owner had it programmed for Dish services, it would have to be reprogrammed for DirecTV. The suggestion was that this should be done by a KVH Dealer (the makers of the Tracvision antenna).

Purchasing a Playmaker HD satellite antenna was also suggested ($348.00)
Old 04-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
IMHO it is not worth it. All providers are dropping Standard Definition services soon, up here in Canada Shaw is as well by October this year.

The smaller dishes, despite not seeing multiple satellite, do not have enough gain (ability to receive signal) from the satellites. I sold my carryout last year as it was not working well any longer.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #4

Tx, B & B,
Yeah, I'm giving up on that idea and just going with an air antenna (for what it's worth), a DVD player, an old VHS tape player, and when desperate, my li'l mobile StraighTalk hotspot to connect my laptop. That would mostly be for use when moving across the U.S. seeking campsites. Maybe occasionally using an HDMI cable from laptop to SmartTV, when possible.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #5

Most travel books list weather campgrounds have cable .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna