Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Traveling with fridge on.

On another note about traveling with fridge on. If you stop for a meal, to shop, or any reason and the parking area is not level do you turn off the fridge or let it run. I've heard so many horror stories about operating a fridge that is not level I now have nightmares about it. Living in East Tenn a lot of the parking lots are not level at all.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Always Learning

I turn my fridge on "auto" the day before I leave my house and turn it off the day after I arrive home. If I left the camper parked on a hill for a long period of time (hours), I might consider turning it off.

The more controversial thing is if you leave the fridge on while fueling up or not. Many people turn it off to fuel up and back on after they pull away from the pump. Many people leave it on the whole time. And, a few will be adamant about their stand (either for or against).
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #3

We make a trip to Knoxville each year. The parking lot of our usual meal stop slopes up pretty steep. We are usually there about 45 minutes as my wife is a slow eater. I've not been turning it off but wondering if I might be flirting with potential problems.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Always Learning

I could be wrong (and obviously, your rig, your decision)- but I wouldn't be overly concerned about an hour for a meal. But, I'm not terribly educated on the fridges- so take it for what it's worth. I likely wouldn't worry especially because my fridge is a hassle to get to (I have to partially extend a slide to get to the button).
Old 06-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4srn View Post
On another note about traveling with fridge on. If you stop for a meal, to shop, or any reason and the parking area is not level do you turn off the fridge or let it run. I've heard so many horror stories about operating a fridge that is not level I now have nightmares about it. Living in East Tenn a lot of the parking lots are not level at all.
We've never traveled with the fridge on in our 10 years of RVing/trailering. We find the best way for us is to load up 1 or 2 coolers with the refrigerator items plus 2 or 3 small ice packs/cooler just before heading out. One trip to the truck with the cooler(s). Drive to your destination, turn on the fridge and then load the fridge when it has cooled down. Ice packs go in the freezer while camping and we do the same for the return trip. This way, there are absolutely no worries of anything going wrong outside and inside the fridge. Good coolers and ice packs will keep things cold far longer than you will ever drive in a day. Many modern coolers plug right into the 12 volt outlet if you want to avoid ice packs. If we plan on stopping for lunch or a food break, the cooler is always handy.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

How level is level?

If you have a Dometic fridge, than their manual addresses the question. Here is a copy of the User Guide for a Dometic DM2652 for example.

Two points are important here:

1)... the vehicle needs to be leveled only so it is comfortable to live in (no noticeable sloping of floor or walls).

So, basically, this gives you an idea of what they consider to be "level". If sloped badly at the restaurant, than the second item is that you have some time before it becomes an issue.

2) ...Any time the vehicle is parked for several hours with the refrigerator operating, the vehicle should be leveled to prevent this loss of cooling.

In my own experience, I have never had to shut if off and it has never lost its ability to cool because it was not level during a stop.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Always Learning

Geez- look at Mr. Goody reading the manual.

Good stuff, actually! Thanks, Scott.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #8

I turn mine on auto a day or two before we leave and have never worried about it. Been doing this the same way for as long as I can remember. I shut it off when the trailer is back beside my house and ready to unload.
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Don't Camp Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
I turn mine on auto a day or two before we leave and have never worried about it. Been doing this the same way for as long as I can remember. I shut it off when the trailer is back beside my house and ready to unload.
x2
IMO, I suspect there would be a lot more information and warnings from manufacturers if this was an issue.

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #10

I only turn my off to defrost it. We use it as a backup fridge and keep the IBC root beer cold. Also we do not have to wait for a day to allow the fridge to get really cold.

The trailer makes for a very good lifeboat if your zoning allows it.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Anacortesians

We just got through replacing our Dometic Fridge in our '02 Georgetown. When I fired things up a few days before we were heading out for a 3-week trip down the Oregon coast, I turned it on, using electric power, and closed the doors. The day before we left, I took a cooler full of stuff to load in the fridge and the temperature gauge still read 68F.

I found an old post on one of the other RV newsgroups that said "Open the outside cover for the fridge and look round the base of the chimney. If there's any yellow powder around it, the cooling unit is dead. I opened it up and sure enough, about a tablespoon-full of powdered sulfur. I showed it to our best local RV maintenance shop and booked in for a new fridge after the trip.

The 3-week trip became a 16-day one, as we got fed up of the logistics of buying Ice every day.

Now (and $1800 later!) we have a new fridge with an adjustable temperature control, which the old one didn't have.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Geez- look at Mr. Goody reading the manual.

Good stuff, actually! Thanks, Scott.
LOL
I have a bad habit of reading manuals.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 06-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

LOL
I have a bad habit of reading manuals.
(Cough) man card (cough)!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
(Cough) man card (cough)!
I also read the pigeon-english that goes for most setup and install instructions.

But, I refuse to stop and ask for directions

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #15

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
In my own experience, I have never had to shut if off and it has never lost its ability to cool because it was not level during a stop.
I have had that problem. I stayed at a park where I did not get level, and my frig went POOF!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

I have had that problem. I stayed at a park where I did not get level, and my frig went POOF!
I agree its an issue when you overnight but the OP's referring to a stop at an uneven parking lot for an hour or two.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Never had a problem in the 40 plus yrs of dealing with a rv frig and we travel with it on.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
If it is so unlevel that you (Fall out of a chair,Roll out of bed,have to severly bend one knee to walk in RV,or plates slide off the table,pick another Campsite,or( Turn off the Refer)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If it is so unlevel that you (Fall out of a chair,Roll out of bed,have to severly bend one knee to walk in RV,or plates slide off the table,pick another Campsite,or( Turn off the Refer)! Youroo!!
Actually, the crown on my street is enough to disturb the refer. I have to put boards down in the gutter before I park it to load the TT.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote