Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #1

Trouble shooting water heater

2017 Georgetown 370XL
Suburban SW6DE
About 3 days ago, my water heater stopped working by electric. Thankfully it still works on propane.
I checked resistance across the heating element and got 9.5 ohms. I also measured continuity across the T-stat.
I measured 115 volts at the wire coming out the back of the circuit breaker. Breaker was not tripped.
The simple wiring diagram from Suburban shows power going from the on/off switch to the T-stat and then to the heating element. I checked voltage at the stat and didn’t get anything. So what I am finding is there is voltage at the breaker but not coming from from the switch.
The switch could be bad or a connection could have come loose. Either way, it looks like I need to open the side panel to get to the water heater, not something I’m looking forward to. Has anybody out there have other ideas I could try first or advice on opening the panel?
Thank you.
Brinkmef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #2

You could check for power to the switch. The switch will come out the front of the heater you just have to get a small screw driver to compress the tabs on either the top of the switch or the bottom. Open the breaker before pulling the switch. They are known for going bad at times from heat. You might also be able to look at the backside of the heater through the winterization bypass valves access hatch. My electric side is connected with just twist on wire nuts and yours may be also. Worth a shot. Here's a picture showing the switch tabs:
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The switch will come out the front of the heater you just have to get a small screw driver to compress the tabs on either the top of the switch or the bottom. Open the breaker before pulling the switch. They are known for going bad at times from heat. Worth a shot. Here's a picture showing the tabs:
Yep... I had to replace mine this summer.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Yep... I had to replace mine this summer.
Yup.....me too, but a couple of summers ago.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #5

Had the high limit go bad and w feed wire go bad. Replaced the limit with 140d and a new wire. All working better! More hot water on elec.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #6

I had a bad switch on previous TT. Quick test for switch is carefully jump the wires around the switch.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
I had a bad switch on previous TT. Quick test for switch is carefully jump the wires around the switch.
I did this... turned off the WH’s breaker, jumped around the switch and black-taped the connections, flipped the breaker back on. Hot Water! I left the jumper in place until I got my new switch.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #8

Hi-Limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkmef View Post
2017 Georgetown 370XL
Suburban SW6DE
About 3 days ago, my water heater stopped working by electric. Thankfully it still works on propane.
I checked resistance across the heating element and got 9.5 ohms. I also measured continuity across the T-stat.
I measured 115 volts at the wire coming out the back of the circuit breaker. Breaker was not tripped.
The simple wiring diagram from Suburban shows power going from the on/off switch to the T-stat and then to the heating element. I checked voltage at the stat and didn’t get anything. So what I am finding is there is voltage at the breaker but not coming from from the switch.
The switch could be bad or a connection could have come loose. Either way, it looks like I need to open the side panel to get to the water heater, not something I’m looking forward to. Has anybody out there have other ideas I could try first or advice on opening the panel?
Thank you.
Nothing in this post says that you have either:
--Tried resetting the high limit switch
--Checked for continuity across the high limit switch

On the outside access, there are two rubber caps, high on the heater tank (Think of Mickey Mouse's eyes). One covers the propane high limit switch. The other covers the electrical high limit switch. You do not have to remove these caps. Press firmly in the center of each cap. You can hear/feel if it resets. You can remove the caps and check continuity if necessary.

From your description, it's not clear if you actually checked continuity across the switch, or looked for 120 VAC. And if you were looking for 120 VAC, did you check BOTH terminals. 120 VAC on one side only, with the switch on, indicates the switch has failed.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #9

The surburban switches sure do burn up . had that happen to me last yr . Solution get rid of switch , install inside lighted switch for water heater and no more issues nor do i need to worry about another switch melting .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #10

Surprised to learn of switch issues, our 2005-built Suburban SW6DE has never malfunctioned. Only time it failed to heat water in the electric mode was when I tried to heat water when there was no water in the tank! Electric coil inside the tank vaporized instantly. Local hardware store had the element as will every RV dealer as they're "high use parts."

I only turn the external switch Off when the trailer is winterized. I use the safety clip as well, just to nor repeat my error. I throw the circuit breaker on the panel as well.

-- Chuck
Old 11-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #11

Why do you want to shoot your water heater? But if you're having trouble shooting it, try a bigger bullet! ����
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #12

Thank you everyone. I replaced the switch this afternoon and the water heater is working great again. Tested the old switch and it was bad. It is good to be back on electric hot water again. Need to save the propane for the furnaces.
The only hitch was when picking up the new switch, the dealer had a really good deal on a 2019 Dutch Star. Think I need to take a cold shower now.
Brinkmef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You could check for power to the switch. They are known for going bad at times from heat.
Mine did. It is stuck in the "on" position so I unplug the supply cord to turn off.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
Retired Panpsychist

I’m with MOODMAN. Painting it white for visibility might help...

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater