Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Trying to connect an RVQ directly to a propane tank

We're camping in a tight spot on Flathead Lake, MT right now. The only flat spot on the site saw a tree right beside the trailer where the RVQ attaches. So, I headed into Polson, MT with the idea of getting a hose with regulator so that I could hook up the RVQ directly to my 20lb propane tank at a table across the site. Easy enough, right? I'm afraid not. Working with George and the great guys at Polson BBQ & Fireplace, we had a hose with the tank attachment, screwed into the tank, through a regulator, then 4' of LP hose to a female 1/2" quick connect which was plugged into the RVQ. No gas would flow! If we detached the RVQ, we could get gas to flow through the hose. And the RVQ works fine if hooked to the trailer. They've never seen anything like it. Any ideas?

PS - I searched for other threads on this topic, but most talked abour extending the hose from the trailer. The one thread I tried to reply to gave me an error saying it was a year old & I couldn't reply to it.

Thanks!
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #2

Several years ago I had a similiar problem. I ordered a new camper with the outside grill prep and the dealer had a grill in stock that he would sell cheaper than the one from the factory. I discovered there were two different types of quick disconnects. If the male and female are not of the same type, they will fit together but the valve inside of the female side will not open. If I remember correctly, there is a slight difference in shape of the male portion of quick disconnect. I'm not sure if this will help but it might be worth checking.

Good luck.
Husky Centerline Hitch

hokiecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #3

Thanks very much, hokiecampers, that makes complete sense! Unfortunately the local Ace hardware and Polson BBQ they only had one quick connect between them. I'll try at our next destination in Idaho. Hopefully that does the trick!
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote