Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #21

Sv235

I did take the tv into the house and connected to Direct sat system and tv worked ok. Now that I am thinking about it. I would be using the sat tuner and not the tuner on Tv . I may. Ted have to connect drifferent digital tv to rv antenne and retry. This is a pain
tedanddonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedanddonna View Post
I did take the tv into the house and connected to Direct sat system and tv worked ok. Now that I am thinking about it. I would be using the sat tuner and not the tuner on Tv . I may. Ted have to connect drifferent digital tv to rv antenne and retry. This is a pain
Yes it is, but oh how rewarding when you are sitting in an idyllic campground sipping a cold one AND have all the conveniences of home.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #23

Had a similar problem with our new 2014 apex. TV worked at dealer, but not at home. What I found was the antenna and the cable leads were reversed behind the power booster. the reason it worked at the dealer was because the dealership was very close to the tv station tower.
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
You are asked about the light on the boost panel because some think they are turning their (boost) antenna connection part on to enable air signals, when they are really turning it off to enable the cable feed connection, which in your case would have no signals.
Am I missing something here? Logic would say that the green light meant that you were amplifying the received antenna RF (boosting antenna signal). It sounds like you're saying the green light means you're recieving cable input. This sounds counter intuitive to me. I'm not getting TV from the antenna when the web sites say I should be getting 9 or 10 channels. I'll have to run out and try scanning it with the amp turned off.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #25
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
Am I missing something here? Logic would say that the green light meant that you were amplifying the received antenna RF (boosting antenna signal). It sounds like you're saying the green light means you're recieving cable input. This sounds counter intuitive to me. I'm not getting TV from the antenna when the web sites say I should be getting 9 or 10 channels. I'll have to run out and try scanning it with the amp turned off.
On most Winegard amp wallplates...
green lite = boost antenna signal, and feed switched to antenna coax
no green lite = boost off, and feed switched to cable-in coax

Most plates have three coax, an antenna feed, a cable feed, and a to-television out.

Some don't pay attention to the light when they say they turned that switch on. It's pushes both in and out. That's why I said the member was asking about the light, not just that a person thinks they pushed the button and turned it on.

Members also ask things about the TV menu to help folks trouble shoot, there may be one channel search for air signals and another channel search for cable signals. Sometimes folks forget to set their TV for air versus cable. It's a likely reason for no signal showing up on the TV tuner.

Didn't mean to confuse you.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #26

I have run the scan (air mode) several times with the amplifier on (green light on). I kept getting no channels found. I tightened up the loose connectors on the cable from the panel to the TV. The scan came up with one channel and it's all just digital blocks and noise. Will try a new cable on it tomorrow.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #27

Did you check behind the wall plate to see if the coax leads were reversed? cable to antenna jack and antenna to cable jack.
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #28

Last weekend I took my camper out for the first time and ran my channel scan on both TVs and did not pick up any channels. I found that when I took apart my tv jack that when they made the end for the cable the center pin frame the antenna was not long enough and when they screwed it into the wall plate it was not making a good connection. Since I was at a campsite what I did was put a little piece of aluminum foil into the hole where the copper pin would go and after that i was able to pick up 40 channels.
Leecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #29

Dumb question for everyone, and a bit of a hyjack...my last tt had the stationary antenna. My fiver has a winegard "batwing". I know how to turn it, but visually, looking at the batwing, which way should it point?
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Dumb question for everyone, and a bit of a hyjack...my last tt had the stationary antenna. My fiver has a winegard "batwing". I know how to turn it, but visually, looking at the batwing, which way should it point?
Depends on where the TV transmitters are located.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #31

I guess what i mean is which way is "forward" on these antennas ? Duo the wings point or should they be perpendicular to the direction i want to point?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #32

The batwing should be broadside to the locations of the transmitter towers, if known, or generally broadside to the closest city with TV stations if the specific transmitter tower locations are not known. If your batwing has the small UHF attachment to it, (3 shorter elements that attaches to the batwing for enhanced UHF reception) then the UHF attachment should point to the transmitter towers.

There is a free Android app called TV Antenna Helper (I'm sure an equivalent also exists for i-phone). It will give a map and compass direction to the available TV stations from where ever you happen to be.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #33

I find that when we pull into the campgrounds around our ozarks lakes, we don't always receive every local channel(which towers only 50 miles away). Hills present alot of signal loss and I've installed the Winegard SensarPro signal meter. I also have the Wingman that helps, but the Winegard signal meter makes it alot easier. I just raise the antenna, turn on the meter(which is a wall plate also) and turn the antenna toward the strongest signal. Then I turn on the television and do a channel search. Very easy and quick. Then I set up the VuCube for Directv.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
The batwing should be broadside to the locations of the transmitter towers, if known, or generally broadside to the closest city with TV stations if the specific transmitter tower locations are not known. If your batwing has the small UHF attachment to it, (3 shorter elements that attaches to the batwing for enhanced UHF reception) then the UHF attachment should point to the transmitter towers.

There is a free Android app called TV Antenna Helper (I'm sure an equivalent also exists for i-phone). It will give a map and compass direction to the available TV stations from where ever you happen to be.
Thanks! Exactly what i was looking for. I do have the app so just wasn't sure which way The antenna "points"
Thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #35
rip

Quote:
Thanks! Exactly what i was looking for. I do have the app so just wasn't sure which way The antenna "points"
Thanks
They used to include a page in their operating materials that showed the broadside with their logo was the aiming point. It was in materials for my 2005 trailer but not my 2013.

Wish they were putting the current enhanced uhf Sensar IV on the new trailers instead of the old Sensar III, but at least all my 2005 materials still apply. Guess they want to promote Wingman sales for a few more years, or run everyone over to the Jack.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Thanks
the arrow, on the inside, doesn't point in the same direction the antenna receives (on mine...believe it points parallel with the antenna). i made a little mark on the rotating part inside to indicate the direction the antenna is actually pointing to receive. i also have the little add on attachment to help with the digital channels. i have the marked arrow point in the same direction the add on is pointing. sense the antenna will receive from both sides, it's good to know which way the add on needs to point for best results.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #37
Denver, CO

The digital antenna called the Jack is another idea. It attaches to the win guard hardware and pulls in lots of stations
Old 03-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #38
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
The white box up there should point TO the transmission towers. If you have a Sensar IV or Wingman; the elements point to the towers.

Digital TV IS DIRECTIONAL. You must point the white box at the towers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Roadmap Wide angle.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	26744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite at Camper.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	26745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite Wide angle.jpg
Views:	101