Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2022, 01:24 PM   #1

TV Troublshooting

We are new to RVing. We have a 2021 Rockwood UltraLite 2608bs. We bought a Dish Tailgater, the Wally receiver box and the external hard drive for recording. Got it working at home after replacing all of the hdmi and RG6 coaxial cables. Had the antenna channels scanned in too. Once we got to our camping destination, we could not get the Dish tv working. We had the antenna channels scanned in, but then lost them and couldn’t get them back. I kept getting “no signal” message on the tv screen whenever I tried to pull up the HDMI 1 (arc) for Dish or TV for antenna channels. The antenna booster light was on. I was able to bring up the Fire Stick in the HDMI 2 slot, but even had to wiggle it at the HDMI port to get it to work. With all of this said, do you suppose we have damaged HDMI ports and a coaxial cable port on the tv, a crappy outside antenna, faulty Dish equipment, faulty RV wiring or all of the above? Service departments are so swamped that they won’t return my calls. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
SparkyBGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #2

Is the coax from the tailgater to the receiver a direct link? I have rarely been able to receive a signal when trying to connect thru trailer connections. When I run coax direct to receiver it works.
Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:46 AM   #3

They had everything working once; trailer connection is not the problem. We always run to the trailer satellite port. If you have to wiggle anything on your tv, I would think maybe it's bad hdmi ports. I just replaced a tv with bad ports. Lost all audio. But then again, you said it all worked. Another thought- where were you? If you don't have an unobstructed view of the south sky, that crappy Playmaker won't get a signal. And I mean not even a frickin' bird flying by. I know, cause that's what I have. MANY frustrating hours messing with that thing. As far as OATV, same thing. And you gotta be pretty close to the stations.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:52 AM   #4
Retired Army MSG!

The Satellite dish in the tailgaters are very small and any obstruction whatsoever. If you have local channels on your subscription, you may have to contact Dish and have them update the zip code where you are located also. I use my system connected to the satellite input on our rig all the time with no issues. Sometimes it takes moving the dish around and rebooting the Wally receiver a time or two. Also, DISH has an app that allows you to reauthorize your receiver from the app.
lazyjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpat View Post
Is the coax from the tailgater to the receiver a direct link? I have rarely been able to receive a signal when trying to connect thru trailer connections. When I run coax direct to receiver it works.
I have tried both. It worked at home, but when we got to KY…nothing. It was not a tree dense campground and we had good clear weather. Frustrating that even the antenna channels came in when we got to our site, then no signal for the next 3 days. I’m beginning to think the whole tv is shot. I’m going to try hooking up a different tv to it. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
The Satellite dish in the tailgaters are very small and any obstruction whatsoever. If you have local channels on your subscription, you may have to contact Dish and have them update the zip code where you are located also. I use my system connected to the satellite input on our rig all the time with no issues. Sometimes it takes moving the dish around and rebooting the Wally receiver a time or two. Also, DISH has an app that allows you to reauthorize your receiver from the app.
We did move the tailgater around with no luck. Called Dish support and gave them the area code we were in… no luck. I may have to bite the bullet and take it to a dealer to troubleshoot. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
They had everything working once; trailer connection is not the problem. We always run to the trailer satellite port. If you have to wiggle anything on your tv, I would think maybe it's bad hdmi ports. I just replaced a tv with bad ports. Lost all audio. But then again, you said it all worked. Another thought- where were you? If you don't have an unobstructed view of the south sky, that crappy Playmaker won't get a signal. And I mean not even a frickin' bird flying by. I know, cause that's what I have. MANY frustrating hours messing with that thing. As far as OATV, same thing. And you gotta be pretty close to the stations.
I’m going to try a different tv tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpat View Post
I have tried it both ways. I bought a new Tailgater and Wally from Camping World before I tore out ALL of my hair. The manager mentioned that I might try "refreshing" the Wally. I tried that and, boom, it worked!! We are heading out in a few days to test it. I currently have it hooked up through the trailer. Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:37 PM   #9

We just bought the Tailgater Pro and Wally from CW last week

Mounted dish on King tripod and had it working in less than 1/2 hr total - hooked coax to satellite connection on camper - HDMI from receiver to TV

5 minutes on phone to DISH rep to add new receiver to existing account - we get every channel just like at home including locals

Easy peasy - tried 3 hours to use portable manual playmaker setup the weekend before and gave up - bought Tailgater setup and delivered in 2 days - happy campers now !
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
tried 3 hours to use portable manual playmaker setup the weekend before and gave up
What is a "portable manual playmaker"?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:35 PM   #11

It was a Wineguard carryout system with a manual setup dish and VIP211z receiver

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2304.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	272670Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2305.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	272671
Old 05-04-2022, 07:39 PM   #12

Oops ….corrected the name of the manual system and added photos - sorry

It was portable and manual but not the playmaker dish
Old 05-05-2022, 06:55 AM   #13

Those small playmaker/Tailgater dishes need a clearview of the SSW sky at like 15 -20 degrees above the horizon since they get the western arc satellites. 110,119,129. So reception in the northern eastern part of the country is suspect. Not to mention there have been a lot of those Wally's that are refurbished receivers with those bundles especially from CW. If you call Dish for support they can tell you if you have a refurbished one. I went with the Wineguard Pathway which get both western & eastern satellites but costs double. Now as long as I can get like a 40-45 degree view of the south sky I am good. Also do not run the cable through the OTA booster/splitter behind the TV. It need to be a direct run from satellite to wally. Not sure if you have 2 cable hook ups behind your TV or 1. If you have only 1 your may need to modify the connection there.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 05-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
Those small playmaker/Tailgater dishes need a clearview of the SSW sky at like 15 -20 degrees above the horizon since they get the western arc satellites. 110,119,129. So reception in the northern eastern part of the country is suspect. Not to mention there have been a lot of those Wally's that are refurbished receivers with those bundles especially from CW. If you call Dish for support they can tell you if you have a refurbished one. I went with the Wineguard Pathway which get both western & eastern satellites but costs double. Now as long as I can get like a 40-45 degree view of the south sky I am good. Also do not run the cable through the OTA booster/splitter behind the TV. It need to be a direct run from satellite to wally. Not sure if you have 2 cable hook ups behind your TV or 1. If you have only 1 your may need to modify the connection there.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
My Tailgater Pro can get eastern or western arc. Just tell it which during setup.
JWood422 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
My Tailgater Pro can get eastern or western arc. Just tell it which during setup.
You just get the Hybrid 61.5 satellite, not the 72.7 or 77. The 61.5 is low in the sky that is why with portable satellites it can be hard to get at times.
https://rvseniormoments.com/tech-doc...-eastern-arcs/