Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

TV vs WiFi antenna

We purchased a King Falcon antenna with router for our 22RBS and asked our dealer to install. He indicated that in order to do that, the TV antenna would have to be removed. We’re new owners and don’t have the experience to know if that’s accurate. Do we have to give up the TV antenna in order to boost our WiFi? What do others who want both do? TIA
mabilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabilek View Post
We purchased a King Falcon antenna with router for our 22RBS and asked our dealer to install. He indicated that in order to do that, the TV antenna would have to be removed. We’re new owners and don’t have the experience to know if that’s accurate. Do we have to give up the TV antenna in order to boost our WiFi? What do others who want both do? TIA
I'm not actually familiar with this product but looking at reviews it seems that it is *not* a TV antenna. It is for Wi-Fi only.

It looks like it would fit in the same footprint as your regular TV antenna though. Seems to me that the dealer simply wants to take the easy way and install it where the antenna is instead of running the cable through the trailer separately.

IMO, it looks like it should be mounted separately from your TV antenna. You're gonna have to drill some new holes into your RV roof though.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
Retired Army MSG!

I would call a local or mobile RV repair facility and get a second opinion.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:18 PM   #4

Look into the Winegard Connect 2.0+ dome. The newest "Connect 2.0 plus" version is a cellular modem with dual phased antennas, wifi extender with three MIMO antennas, and an amplified AM, FM and TV antenna, all in one rooftop unit.

I believe the exact model number is WF2-95B.

About $440 direct from Winegard.com.

Make sure you *don't* get the older Connect 2.0 version, it doesn't have the AM FM TV antenna. Lots of those are getting unloaded on Amazon and ebay.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #5

The TV antenna on my trailer has a port built into the base to run a second antenna cable through. It's pre-wired for King WiFi. You might need to replace the TV antenna with one with the port built into the base. However, giving up the TV antenna in order to install the WiFi antenna is NOT required. This is a picture of the port in the base of the TV antenna that is used for the second antenna cable:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200629_205435.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	252748  
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #6

Wow - King Falcon antenna at probably $400 vs. the Winegard WF2-95B at $450? I know I would return the Falcon antenna and go with the Winegard setup. That looks SWEET!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #7

I'll compare the Connect TV antenna to my old batwing antenna someday, and see if there's any difference. Seems like the physical size of Winegard's dome prevents it from having good low band performance (on TV channels 2- 6), but it should be good from channels 7 and up. We will see.

The wifi performance is outstanding. I was about a mile down the beach and my phone chimed, saying i had just received an email. I was amazed.

It also has been working great on Tmobile's new 600 MHz band 71. And another feature they don't mention, it has a secret ethernet port inside. Just drill an extra hole in the base and run a cat5 cable to your no-wifi device.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, wifi