Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #21
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Works great if you are camping where there is a good Cell signal. We tend to camp where there is a weak signal if at all.
At which time it's time to uncork a bottle and turn on the pre-recorded music.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #22

We have Verizon and on a 60 day trip out West we watched Netflix on Roku every night but one, we couldn't get a signal. Used our hotspot for internet and TV with very little problems. Just the phone, TV, Roku and unlimited.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:39 AM   #23

Just Remember some of these people are "grandfathered" into a previously offered unlimited plan that may not be even offered anymore. I think I read somewhere that even AT&T is no longer offering their unlimited RV plan.
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtreme30 View Post
Just Remember some of these people are "grandfathered" into a previously offered unlimited plan that may not be even offered anymore. I think I read somewhere that even AT&T is no longer offering their unlimited RV plan.
Yep ... we got in just a few months before Verizon stopped the unlimited ... our MIFI needs 1-2 bars and works great
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #25

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.whi...data-plans/amp
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtreme30 View Post
That's me. I'm very careful to talk about them so as to not lead people to believe it's still available.

I have a grandfathered Verizon plan that is truly "unlimited" (though if you use too much, Verizon will yank your plan and tell you to GTFO).

And I have a grandfathered AT&T plan that's truly unlimited.

I'd really like to add a third plan for when cell towers are overloaded.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #27

We have had Verizon for years. They have great customer service. Use it for phone and internet and we are very happy with the service. There have been very few places that we have not been able to connect. We do not stream videos while we are camping. We are will use only about 18 gig on a 30 day trip. For TV we use Dish. That has been pretty reliable also.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #28

Verizon-Jet Pack

We have that program and stream through ATTNOW. The jet pack serves as an internet connection to 5 devices. It is limited to 15 gig per month then they throttle it down. It still works fine for streaming even after they throttle down the speed. We stream to lap top with an hdmi cable attached to tv from computer. Like magic full screen movies and tv. You can stream to your phone too with a smart phone.
Wesley1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #29

Don’t do it!!!

I had a jet pack from Verizon at first it all seemed wonderful but as others have stated you’re burning through data pretty quick and then the next thing you know the thing is very expensive do you have an iPhone or Google for that matter can’t you just do a hotspot? Take the money and just upgrade your current cell phone plan that’s what we did.
Mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #30

We just changed our AT&T plan to the newer 'Unlimited ELITE', which provides for Unlimited data/available speed on your phones, but limited to 30gb shared between all of your devices you HOT SPOT to, per month. It's also 5G speeds, as long as your phone is compatible.

We also have a NetBuddy.co 'Unlimited AT&T sim device' plan, with a Netgear 'mifi' wifi device, which you can turn on/off monthly, but NetBuddy has 'reached their maximum number of customer accounts', as they state, and are no longer taking on new customers, and, as I found out, not even allowing current customers/sim card holders to ACTIVATE their own devices! Sad. : /
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I currently have AT&T but stopped in at Verizon the other day. Their manager told me I could switch to them and receive unlimited and get a jetpack for the internet and stream movies. He was saying we could be driving and my wife could connect the laptop to the jetpack and would be able to work while I'm driving or stream movies. Also when we reached a campsite we would have internet and streaming movies.

This sounds great to me, is anyone using Verizon for this and if so are you satisfied?

We have had the Verizon Unlimited PREPAID Jetpack data plan for over 3 years and have traveled all over this great country doing all internet, streaming videos etc with outstanding results. Our data is not capped in anyway. Most months we use 300+GB and our cost is $65.
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #32

I got lucky and got the Verizon unlimited prepaid plan before they stopped it. It is possible to be throttled after 20 gig if there is a lot of congestion on the network. This is based on priority. We have been using it for 2 years now and this has never happened. Maybe if you are in a large resort area I could see it being an issue. But we go camping to get away from that so we remain at 4g 99% of the time.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #33

This plan is still available but only at the RV SHOWS like Tampa etc.
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:05 AM   #34

I have two jetpacks with unlimited data. Once I hit 15G, Verizon slows me down. These are the 3rd and 4th devices on my plan and are about $20 each per month. I get good coverage in the western states but occasionally while driving we lose coverage.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:42 AM   #35

Hopefully the conversion to 5G will start a price war and lower all these costs and limits.

Remember the "small sat" networks (about 1200 sats each) will be in direct competition .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #36

I live in the foothills of North Carolina. When I moved in 15 years ago I was able to get broadband from AT&T through my phone line but only at a speed of 5mbps. It was just about sufficient but it was my only option, never really fancied satellite service at a much higher cost. As time went on and all other service providers started ramping up their internet speeds nationwide mine never got any better, then AT&T stopped offering new service to my area. They kept existing customers but freely admitted they were not upgrading service to our “remote area”.

Just about a year ago I discovered GOTW3 an internet service that focuses on remote areas using an included sim card with AT&T cellular service at $99.99 per month for unlimited internet with no throttling. You buy the router to start with but another thing I liked was they gave an option to return it after 14 days for a restocking fee of $50. So if it doesn't work for you then no big deal. The router and set up costs about $325.

So I was able to replace my slow AT&T service costing $60 per month with a service that now provides me 20mbps (x4 over AT&T) but the plus is I also use it in my RV and never not had service wherever I have travelled, plus when not Rving I plug it in to my 12v socket using a $15 voltage converter in the rear of the car and put the router under the passenger seat and then have internet service full time in my car. Hence I was able to cut back on my mobile phone data service also as I do a lot of car mileage every month. The router measures about 6in x 6in x 1in. You can suspend service very easily if you just want to use it when you go on an RV trip, there is a $25 reconnection fee for this service. They do offer a cheaper option for a Tmobile sim card at $79.99 per month, don't bother it sucks go with the ATT option.

Bid goodbye to slow, unsecured campground wifi. No regrets for me. GOTW3 dot com.
aarichards1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #37
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Remember the "small sat" networks (about 1200 sats each) will be in direct competition .
This sounds like the future of things!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #38

We have a Columbus 384rd ,we use Verizon an have had good luck with it.we do have the jet pack two phones an two laptops .my bride tries to work when we are out so she has to have the internet. We are not big into watching movies in the RV.yes Verizon has issues sometimes but really they all do.i have had Verizon for over 20 yrs.an our Phs can also be used as hot spots.also I am a country an gospel musician so we are on the Rd. Our kitten now has 19 states under his belt
Dave Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
Correct as we have the Verizon unlimited plan. At a certain point that seems to vary they do indeed throttle back your service so for streaming not so good but for email etc it works ok.

"Unlimited" means you get continual internet service.....what they don't tell you is that you get high speed until you reach the 20/40g limit, and then it slows to a crawl.
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I was fortunate to get in on a Mobley connected car plan three years ago. You can put that chip in a jetpack (so I heard from a friend). Just using the Mobley, it is limited to five devices connected.
Unlimited data anywhere you can get an AT&T signal for $23 a month. We have often used over 400 gig during a month of streaming HD movies and internet use.
Can you provide the links where I can look into this? Thanks!

Tags
television