Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #1

vip211K and HDMI extender questions

I've spent the last 2 hours searching the forum and the web... nothing.

Has anyone hooked up a HDMI extender to a VIP211K satellite receiver?

My VIP 211K receiver can't or won't power the sender component of a Monoprice HDMI extender... or my 211K is bad. In other words, the sender needs power (+5vdc), but the 211K isn't providing it and the extender has no way to power it from a wall (110Vac) outlet.

This extender (Monoprice) uses two (2) CAT5e or CAT6 cables between a sender (connected to the source / receiver) and receiver (at the TV). It allows HDMI to run up to nearly 200 feet, where HDMI cables are good for maybe 50 (guessing). Also, CAT5e cable without ends is easy to fish / pull compared to HDMI where the ends have to be factory made and left on the cable. The ease of wiring is why I went with this arrangement.

Dishnetwork, my provider is also no help; Monoprice was a little help, but has no knowledge of the 211K receiver. The tech said an external powered splitter might work.

Tests I've performed.

1) I attached 2 factory CAT6 patch cables from sender to receiver - it didn't help.

2) I also moved the receiver to the TV and used an HDMI cable and it DID work, which doesn't prove it provides power but that HDMI is coming out of the receiver

3) I then ran across my "new" CAT5e wiring; using the extender... but used a BlueRay player as the source and it works. This proves the extender is good and my wiring is good. It proves, also, that the BlueRay player can power the sender.

Thanks,
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Has anyone hooked up a HDMI extender to a VIP211K satellite receiver?

My VIP 211K receiver can't or won't power the sender component of a Monoprice HDMI extender... or my 211K is bad.

This extender (Monoprice) uses two (2) CAT5e or CAT6 cables between a sender (connected to the source / receiver) and receiver (at the TV). It allows HDMI to run up to nearly 200 feet, where HDMI cables are good for maybe 50 (guessing). Also, CAT5e cable without ends is easy to fish / pull compared to HDMI where the ends have to be factory made and left on the cable. The ease of wiring is why I went with this arrangement.

Thanks,
WW
I'm replying to my own post as a followup, in case someone ever has a similar problem and is doing a search.

I replaced the VIP211K and although it works part of the time, the picture goes away... off and on.

The VIP211K receiver will not work with the monoprice extender that uses two Cat5e or Cat6 cables.

It is possible a powered extender might work with the receiver, there is no quarantee and it is too expensive to try them.

The run is 25feet and I am going to attempt to pull HDMI across the ceiling. And, a composite and audio cable while I'm at it.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 10-03-2015, 06:56 AM   #3

Would a VIP211Z receiver work for your application? It only has the HDMI output? The VIP211K has both coax and HDMI outputs. Maybe there was an adjustment in the 211Z to allow for your interconnect. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Would a VIP211Z receiver work for your application? It only has the HDMI output? The VIP211K has both coax and HDMI outputs. Maybe there was an adjustment in the 211Z to allow for your interconnect. Just a thought.
B, I don't know if its the same for all 211s, but both the USB and the HDMI ports of the 211K have very limited power outputs. Its +5vdc but most not have enough current to run either these non-powered extenders, or non-powered USB hard drives.

When using these ports busses, splitters, or extenders will need to be externally "wall" powered. There are many wireless extenders that work with RCA connections, which is probably the way to go, if you don't need HD.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas