Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2022, 06:36 PM   #1

Wally dish, Aux/satellite connection

I have a Wally receiver. My trailer has separate connections on the exterior; cable and satellite. The King panel on the inside has two coaxial connections with a green power light and between the 2 coaxial connections there is a label AUX/SAT.

I have used the regular broadcast antenna and the satellite recently and they work fine. Today I ran an exterior coaxial from the campground cable box to my cable connection on the exterior. The TV setting searches for cable channels but cannot find them.

The Wally has a coaxial that runs to the back of the Wally from one of the AUXSAT interior connectors and the other coaxial from the other interior connectors goes to the ANT IN on the tv.

I have tried different combinations of the cables from the interior box to the Wally with no luck.

How does the Wally need to be wired with coaxial cables so that I can use either the campground cable or my satellite or the Air channels. I must have something wrong but do not know and I can't seem to find on the internet how this all needs to be connected to work.
Thank you in advance.
Hurrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:18 PM   #2

Assuming the park cable input is good and assuming the TV is connected to the Wally via HDMI and assuming the booster panel is OFF (light OFF) seems like you should be good to go. You might pull the booster panel and check that the coax connections are tight. The park cable input and over the air antenna inputs are typically to the booster panel. The park cable connection may be loose or otherwise.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:23 PM   #3

Thank you. My connections seem to be as you appear. I called the CG office and there is no one available to check the CG box. I put everything back the way I had it and will try again with the suggestions you made. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:49 PM   #4

This is exactly the reason I abandoned the FR wiring configuration for my Wally. See my post from yesterday "Satellite Success".
22 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EKS
Our 14th! RV
2019 Denali dually Duramax BW companion, timbrens
darndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:29 AM   #5

Thank you, I reviewed your suggested post. One phrase stuck out about cable not working once satellite was installed. At least I now know that I am not the only one that had this issue. I am still a little unclear on the final wiring. I have an exterior box with 2 connections (Cable / satellite) and the interior plate with 2 connections but only one label (aux/sat} it is a guess which connection would be aux and which is satellite. I also have a connection for tv in the bedroom which I do not use nor plan on using and it only has One coaxial connection. Without you seeing exactly what I have; could you please recommend how you would make sure it is wired? It would be appreciated.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrel View Post
Thank you, I reviewed your suggested post. One phrase stuck out about cable not working once satellite was installed. At least I now know that I am not the only one that had this issue. I am still a little unclear on the final wiring. I have an exterior box with 2 connections (Cable / satellite) and the interior plate with 2 connections but only one label (aux/sat} it is a guess which connection would be aux and which is satellite. I also have a connection for tv in the bedroom which I do not use nor plan on using and it only has One coaxial connection. Without you seeing exactly what I have; could you please recommend how you would make sure it is wired? It would be appreciated.
You said the over the air input worked fine. It is wired to the TV via the coax TV port so that interconnect is good. As said the park cable input is routed (or should be) to your antenna booster panel the same as the over the air antenna input. The only difference would be that the booster is ON for over the air viewing and OFF for park cable viewing (of course the TV needs to be set for cable input). If you could post pictures of your panels, it may help as there are several different kinds.
Here's the rub. You say the booster panel is a King panel and not a Winegard and I'm not familiar with the exact differences so I'm shooting in the dark here with the Winegard scenarios.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:24 AM   #7

If your satellite system is working, you can test the park cable TV by removing the coax from the Wally dish at the AUX/Satellite port on the wall plate. Move the coax cable coming from the TV from the Antenna port on the wall plate to the AUX/Satellite port on the wall plate. Outside remove the coax to the dish from the connector on the side of the RV, and plug the park cable TV into it.

You should now have a single COAX run from park cable to the COAX input of the TV. Set the TV to cable channel scan and see what you get. Of course, this isn't a permanent solution, but a troubleshooting step.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #8

Photos attached; should have done it earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You said the over the air input worked fine. It is wired to the TV via the coax TV port so that interconnect is good. As said the park cable input is routed (or should be) to your antenna booster panel the same as the over the air antenna input. The only difference would be that the booster is ON for over the air viewing and OFF for park cable viewing (of course the TV needs to be set for cable input). If you could post pictures of your panels, it may help as there are several different kinds.
Here's the rub. You say the booster panel is a King panel and not a Winegard and I'm not familiar with the exact differences so I'm shooting in the dark here with the Winegard scenarios.
This is the wiring setup that works with the satellite but I had no luck when I connected cable tv to the exterior port. The white cable goes to the antenna port on the tv set. The black cable connected at the top of the panel goes to the Wally port "satellite in". Their is a hdmi cable running from the wally to the hdmi port on the tv. There is also an ON/OFF button on the wall panel which appears to be a booster for regular antenna tv. The AIR TV antenna system works just like everything is shown in the photos. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0333.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	279320   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0342.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	279321   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0341.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	279322   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0339.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	279323  
Old 09-17-2022, 05:26 PM   #9

If you haven't done so, do as NavyLCDR suggested. Connect the park cable to the sat external port and the white cable to the Aux/Sat inside panel port. That would be a straight shot from the park cable to the TV.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:54 PM   #10

An important item of confusion!

At the resort where the Cherokee 38P is sited (and at many other camps), the signal provided by the cable company is encrypted. They do this to prevent theft of service, although it makes no sense at the resort because it pays for service for all the sites.

The office has coax decryption boxes (and coax segments) available for the asking. And here is where it gets tricky:
  • The office always forgets to offer the boxes or tell you about them.
  • The boxes have one F-59 connector for input and another F-59 connector for output. It is easy to connect everything together without the box and stand there wondering why nothing works.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:13 AM   #11

Thank you, I never realized they encrypted the signal at certain campgrounds; I make a point to ask them when I check in. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #12

No choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrel View Post
Thank you, I never realized they encrypted the signal at certain campgrounds; I make a point to ask them when I check in. Thanks.
Believe me, the campground was not happy when the cable company imposed this restriction some years ago. The cable company needed a consistent infrastructure everywhere and would rather provide cable boxes for every permanent site and every transient site than have a different system for their field people to deal with.

In fact, with an upgrade last year, they had to collect all the old boxes and turn them in when the new boxes arrived. We got a notice that the exchange was taking place. Rather than make the 300-mile roundtrip, we told management where the hidden key was and where the cable boxes were, so they could make the swap.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:37 PM   #13

All my camping is West of the Mississippi except along the gulf coast through Florida but always in a commercial campground (have never boondocked) and over 200 different campgrounds and have never run into the issue of having to have a cable box. There may be some, but I haven't checked into one yet (over 25 years).
Old 09-18-2022, 04:46 PM   #14

It's a regional thing

Quote:
All my camping is West of the Mississippi and along the gulf coast through Florida but always in a commercial campground (have never boondocked) and over 200 different campgrounds and have never run into the issue of having to have a cable box. There may be some, but I haven't checked into one yet (over 25 years).
It's regional. They all do it differently. The provider is currently called Spectrum; can't remember who it was before Spectrum acquired it. This would be southeastern Virginia, outside your experience.

I've advised several transients who fight this issue to go to the office and check out a cable box.

Not sure why you've never heard of this.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Not sure why you've never heard of this.
Oh, I've read on this forum of it and was just posting that I've never run into it and thought it might be a long shot for the OP to check. Spectrum was Time Warner in my area.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:40 AM   #16

Spectrum

Quote:
Oh, I've read on this forum of it and was just posting that I've never run into it and thought it might be a long shot for the OP to check. Spectrum was Time Warner in my area.
Spectrum was Time-Warner here in NC, too, but in southeastern Virginia it was Cox or Charter or something else, can't remember.

Tags
lite, satellite