Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Watching DVD via driving dashboard is a royal pain!

In my setup, the front and rear TV's are run through a switchbox (I wish they weren't I prefer them to be independent), and I watch a DVD on both by putting a DVD in the driver's cockpit radio CD player. The TV's are Jensen brand. This is a ROYAL PAIN! Once the DVD is in, the remotes to the TV's do not work on the DVD, even if I press the blue DVD button. If I want to replay a scene, or do something to the DVD, I have to go to the front, behind the curtain, and use the touchscreen to operate the DVD. Am I missing something?

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

You could see if there is a remote available for your indash radio. There may also be a remote app for a smart phone (does your radio sync with a phone?) that might control it as well.

You could also just plug another dvd player into an aux input of your tv.

Hope this helps.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
..You could see if there is a remote available for your indash radio..
Would bet a nickle that there IS a remote available - contact those folks.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #4

Most likely there is some kind of remote, either oem or aftermarket.

Just need to know the manufacturer. If the radio has bluetooth then there will be some kind of software access point that could be used for control via a smartphone or computer.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Love My Sunseeker

I hope there is a remote. I do NOT want to use a smartphone ap or computer ap.

I have a third TV, one in the center (RV Model 3170 Sunseeker), and it's independent (also Jensen brand) and it's connected to a Jensen Radio/CD/DVD player. The remote for the Jensen Radio works on the TV when playing a DVD, but this remote does not work on the other two TV's. Guess I gotta check for a remote to the dashboard screen.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Coachmen Adrenaline

You should've received the remote for the in dash radio in the big packet of everything when you got your coach.
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #7

If you have the Ford chassis with ford radio, you most likely will only have the option of a software remote for phone/tablets. You will most likely need a lockpick as well.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Love My Sunseeker

FOUND IT! I guess I shouldn't have waived the "walk through." I told the dealer I didn't need a "walk through" as I've owned Forest River Class C's before, what could possibly be so different....

DANG. Now that's one more remote I have to track. At least all three TV's are Jensen's and even though I have three remotes, one remote works on all three of them.

Loving the 3170 model with the computer desk! But I still did not need the middle TV and I specified on my order I could do without it, but I guess I got it anyway. But the Jensen Radio/CD Player under that middle TV is nice, never had one of those before in my Forest Rivers.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiller45 View Post
You should've received the remote for the in dash radio in the big packet of everything when you got your coach.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #9

What radio is in your dash?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

I'm sorry, but I have to complain again about what a ROYAL PAIN it is. I found the remote, it was a white thing with buttons. BUT, this remote STILL does not work on the front and back TV. If I'm watching a DVD in the back TV, and, "what, I gotta see that scene again!" Well, I have to walk up to the front, go behind the curtain, point the remote to the dashboard, and I DON'T LIKE THIS!

Why in the world would Forest River do the DVD thing from the dashboard? What advantage is it?

I love my new 3170, but so far, the "dashboard DVD" is not to my liking! Guess I just gotta buy a separate DVD player and attach.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
Another rat in the race

Not to sound too much like a prat, but what if you leave the curtains open then can you control it through the RV.

On the linking of DVD to TVs. I would rather have it that way and get my own small DVD players for each TV than wish I could link them together and have no way of doing it.

Just my .02

Good luck
and remember
Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
2012 Solera

An IR repeater should solve the problem - something like this: Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go 40430 Impact Acoustics Infrared Remote Control Repeater Kit Black: Electronics
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
Love My Sunseeker

would work if using the front TV, but it's cold where I am, so don't want to let cold air in by parting the curtain. On the other hand, if watching DVD on back TV, that wouldn't work. too far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
Not to sound too much like a prat, but what if you leave the curtains open then can you control it through the RV.

On the linking of DVD to TVs. I would rather have it that way and get my own small DVD players for each TV than wish I could link them together and have no way of doing it.

Just my .02

Good luck
and remember

Old 11-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Love My Sunseeker

There have been posts in other threads about the grainy picture quality of watching DVD's in the MagnaDyne system.

My experiences so far have been:

watching it on channel 3 when there is no "over the air" channel 3 (GRAINY, plus the effort to tune the channel in....)

watching it on Channel 3 when the cable system at the RV park doesn't have channel 3 (GRAINY, plus the extra effort to tune the channel in)

Ok, right now I'm at at an RV park in Oregon that actually has a channel 3 as part of their cable system. Guess what, I have a beautiful picture on both the front TV and the bedroom TV (which are connected to a "switchbox). The DVD picture is even better and clearer than watching the actual channel 3 on cable which is digital being forced down to analog.

On the other hand, the picture is still a little bit better when watching it on the middle TV which is independent and has a separate DVD player.

So, as I think I have read in other posts, it is slightly dependent on whether or not there is a channel 3 existing.

Also, in my first two examples, I found that I had to use either the TV sound or the MagnaDyne sound, couldn't use both, or I would get conflicts. Since I'm in an area where there IS a channel 3, I'm not experiencing the "conflict" when I use both TV sound and MagnaDyne sound. But I like the MagnaDyne sound better, as it comes through all the ceiling speakers.

Sunseeker 3170, and all three of my TV's are the Jensen 12 volt, which I have been pleased with so far!

When I ordered my 3170 (which has three TV's), I tried to tell them to not install a TV in the computer zone since I was getting the computer desk and not the kiddies bunk bed, why would I need a TV there....... BUT!!!!! I find I do use that middle TV that I thought I wouldn't need.......

Old 11-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #15

Buy a new dvd player for the bedroom.
Priusron is offline   Reply With Quote