Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

water coming out of roof AC

I am having trouble with my AC roof unit leaking water. It seems to be when it is humid and I turn the unit on...apparently condensation is leaking inside from the unit. I have taken off the cover on the roof and checked the roof drain on the unit and it is not blocked. Any suggestions?
swimer175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Team

There should be 4 large bolts holding the unit to the roof. They also compress a fairly thick gasket to prevent water from entering the unit. Check to see that all four bolts are tightened the same. If tightened properly, they should compress the seal to about half it's uncompressed thickness. You will need to remove the inside cover to access the bolts.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #3

Had this happen last year in Baker, Or. I raised the nose of the lite a touch so it ran off the back instead of the side.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Rockwood Mini Lite 1902

Our AC leaked in high humidity last summer, then quit completely. When we went to get it repaired, it turned out that the flexible connector between the AC output with the inside ceiling unit had a hole in it. The repairman used LOTS of aluminum duct tape and sealed it up. No more leaks.

Turned out that the reason it quit completely was a broken wire. The wires between the controller and the AC unit are very small gauge (looked like 18 or 20) and susceptible to breaking just from travelling rough roads.
Rockwood Mini Lite 1902
Honda Ridgeline
Alberta, Canada
wicook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

There is a condensation pan below the actual AC unit on the roof. It has one or two drain holes that can get plugged with a variety of debris. Make sure they are open.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought all ACs leaked a little bit of water? Whenever I have mine on it runs down the roof into the gutter.

Even my AC at home has a hose that goes into a drain in my basement...

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

Water coming from Air conditioner is normal, It is just water removed from the air that is being conditioned.
jayr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Looks like the responses are addressing three possible issues and the answers given are all correct.
  1. Water entering inside trailer thru return air vent - this is the 'tighten the 4 bolt solution. They get loose traveling, easy fix.
  2. Water dripping from the roof - nature of the beast, you can change the trailers level to get it to drip somewhere else, or just clean your gutters, or extend one of the gutters. This is a normal nuisance.
  3. Water dripping inside air vent - never seen the hole in the hose problem, sounds like one to be aware of though.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Thumbs up

After removing the outer plastic cover of the AC unit you should see a metal cover with six to ten screws and metal sealing tape. I was able to reuse the screws and tape. Yes I had to carefully pry open this metal cover. Inside this air box you will see the condenser (possibly covered with lint) and fan. Between the fan and condenser at (a very small area) the bottom are drain holes, one on each side. Not enough room for me to stick my large hands down to the bottom plate to clear the holes. Dark in there and those fins on the condenser will cut you faster than you think. I used a homemade stick with a flashlight and a garden hose to clear the holes in the base plate. This area will allow more water to drip inside so careful with the water. The wife was inside with bucket and towels. The small area between the baseplate and the roof will need to be cleared also (garden hose and spray nozzle worked for me). This allowed the water to drain outside the air box onto the roof and not into the bucket my wife placed inside. Good luck and hoped this helps. Additionally don't forget to carefully clean the condenser fins while your in there. Also check for additional corner drain holes in the baseplate.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #10

TrY this first

Change or clean the filter.
Then, if needed slightly adjust the level of the trailer.
rainsmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
jkoenig24

What torque setting do those four bolts require?
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
What torque setting do those four bolts require?

45 inch lbs for a dometic
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, water