Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #1

Water heater

I am trying to install a suburban water heater into my camper. The wires coming from the control switch are green, yellow and green/white. The wires on the water heater are blue, red and green. It is a gas only water heater. Does anybody know what color wires attach together?
Sbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Model # would be helpful. and is this the same brand/model water heater that was removed?

Usually the wiring coming from the switch itself and/or fault lamp are called "field wiring". It's up to the RV manufacturer to provide this field wiring and can be all kind of different colors.

Once it hits the distribution box on the water heater, then that wiring is usually always the same color. I can provide you some schematics once I know the model #, where you may can trace the switch/lamp field wiring to it's appropriate corresponding Suburban junction box wiring.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:41 PM   #3

The model number is SW6D. It is the same brand that was removed but not the same model. It has a DSI ignition.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrady View Post
The model number is SW6D. It is the same brand that was removed but not the same model. It has a DSI ignition.

Gotcha, so the one you removed had a pilot light perhaps?

If so, did you install the inside switch and fault lamp for the this new one with Direct Spark Ignition (DSI)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Gotcha, so the one you removed had a pilot light perhaps?

If so, did you install the inside switch and fault lamp for the this new one with Direct Spark Ignition (DSI)
The previous water heater did a DSI and an electrical cord.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Here is a schematic of a Suburban 12 volt DC with DSI. As you see, the wiring from the switch and DSI light going to the junction box in the schematic is called field wiring (could be any colors). You probably need to trace this field wiring to the switch and DSI fault light itself, then can see what it should correspond to in the junction box.

Example, the field wiring from the switch should match up in the junction box to the Red wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-Shot-2014-12-29-at-10.37.59-AM.png
Views:	2905
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	229988  

Old 05-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #7

Thanks. I have look at this diagram for a couple of days but can't really understand it.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
I am trying to install a suburban water heater into my camper. The wires coming from the control switch are green, yellow and green/white. The wires on the water heater are blue, red and green. It is a gas only water heater. Does anybody know what color wires attach together?
Quote:
Thanks. I have look at this diagram for a couple of days but can't really understand it.

The water heaters red wire should connect to whatever field wiring is coming from the switch itself.

The water heaters blue wire should connect to whatever field wiring is coming from the DSI fault lamp.

The water heaters green wire should connect to whatever field wiring is ground.

You will need to trace your field wirings green, yellow, and green/white to see which ones connect to the switch and lamp.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #9

Ok. That make sense. Thank you for the info.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #10

One more question. Do I have to have a battery that works for the DSI gas only water heater to work?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
One more question. Do I have to have a battery that works for the DSI gas only water heater to work?

It's 12 volt DC. This means you have to have a battery or a working converter if plugged into 120 volt AC shore power. This thread may help

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nt-152813.html

Old 05-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #12

How will I know if my camper is equipped with a converter? Where is the converter normally at?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
How will I know if my camper is equipped with a converter? Where is the converter normally at?

Almost all rv's have a converter or form there of.

If your RV previously had a Suburban water heater with an electric heating element and propane DSI, I can guarantee you it came with a converter.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #14

Ok thanks again for the valuable info.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:54 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Ok thanks again for the valuable info.

You are welcome. If this is perhaps your first RV, this thread below may be of help:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ts-157524.html

Old 05-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #16

Ok I got the wiring completed. So now the water. Do the adapter fittings on the back of the water heater have to have a backflow preventer or can it just be a galvanized pipe with make ends?
Old 05-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Ok I got the wiring completed. So now the water. Do the adapter fittings on the back of the water heater have to have a backflow preventer or can it just be a galvanized pipe with make ends?
Absolutely no idea without seeing what you have.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #18

Gotcha. I thought I had the wiring but don't. Getting frustrated with it. Coming out of the switch there are green/white and a red/white wires. I'm thinking the red/white wires goes to the panel box. Coming out if the reset light there are yellow and white wires.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #19

Water heater

Installed my new suburban water heater and it ignites as it should. When I close the water heater door, it cuts off after about 5 to 10 minutes. I have to press the reset button and then it fires back up. Thoughts?

Tags
heater, water, water heater