Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #1

Water heater operation question

Just purchased a 2021 PUMA. I was told the water heater is gas/electric. I opened the cover today and the unit it too hot to touch. Switch on wall panel is off, gas is off at tank.
I have had the camper plugged into a 30 amp service for about a month while not in use. No water connected to camper.
My questions: Is the water gas/electric, or is it only electric? Does the water heat all the time the camper is plugged in? What exactly is the "Water Heater On/Off" switch on the wall panel for? Does the switch turn the heater to electric? By turning on the switch, am I turning on electric or gas?
I have used the camper only twice. I never turned the "Water Heater" switch on, and I had hot water for the entire trip.
I have had two campers previous to this one, but both had gas only water heaters. I could hear the gas heaters ignite and burn, but I have never heard any such sound in this unit. I would rather use electric as it's "free" with the campsite, and I can save the gas for cooking/heating.
I have also noted that if I turn the Water Heater switch to "on," the DSI FLT light comes on as well.
Not quite sure I understand everything I know about this thing!
Heading out tomorrow for a week long trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5731.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	262909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5730.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	262910  
Old 09-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

It is a gas/electric. Look for the electric switch in the tank compartment it is usually hidden up towards top of tank. If you have the camper plugged in unplug it and wait to see if water cools then go in and hit the hot water switch make sure gas is turned on and air bleed out of the system. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #3

Red switch inside is for gas operation of water heater.

Electric operation switch is inside the water heater compartment accessible from the outside. It will say On/Off

Did you drain your hot water heater from your last usage? If not then your water heater should be fine. But you should remove the anode (Located middle bottom of compartment) once the water cools down and inspect it.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
It is a gas/electric. Look for the electric switch in the tank compartment it is usually hidden up towards top of tank. If you have the camper plugged in unplug it and wait to see if water cools then go in and hit the hot water switch make sure gas is turned on and air bleed out of the system. Later RJD
On Suburban water heaters the outside switch for electric operation is on the lower left corner of the tank, behind and below the gas control valve.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #5

hot water heater

make sure water flows from hot side of a faucet. heating element will take a couple of seconds to come on. it will hake a hissing noise. turn off switch under gas tube if no more hot water is needed.my puma was new and heating ement was burnt up.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #6

Umm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Umm...If your water heater is a Suburban SW series (very common) the electric switch is accessed by opening the outside door and operating the switch at the LOWER left corner, hidden behind the air tube.

(Unless, of course, your water heater is mounted upside-down like RJD's!)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Electric water heater ON/OFF switch

Get on your knees and look on the back wall of your water heater and you’ll see the switch there. It’s small, and contrary to normal switches, DOWN is ON and UP is OFF……just to mess with your mind.

See arrow in photo here………
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5E153640-91F1-469E-A042-E7C8C9B73336.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	262951  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #8

An additional note with this Suburban water heater you can run the electric and gas heating elements at the same time for a quicker recovery!
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:12 AM   #9

You said you just bought the camper. Did you or the dealer put water in the tank. Be sure the by pass valve is not on and maybe you are not get any water into your water tank.
Stevevermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
Site Team

If you are perhaps new to the RV world, we have put together a thread that has links to many of the more common things that you may need to know...including the switches and operations for the propane and electric heating element on a Suburban brand water heater (which is what you have).

You can find all of this at this link. Hope it helps.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 05:08 PM   #11

Water Heater Anode

One thing the purchase briefing never mentioned was the need to replace the anode. I finally did after years of ownership and it had completely dissolved. After extensive flushing, I mounted a new one and plan to replace it once per quarter.

Ok, maybe everybody knows this - but I was new to camping and had no idea. Good news - you will need a socket and wrench to handle it, but easy to do. I discovered it after watching a camper maintenance video on YouTube.

So, in case there is anyone else out there who had no idea; word to the wise. Keep an eye on the anode and replace it regularly.
lupinedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 06:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinedad View Post
After extensive flushing, I mounted a new one and plan to replace it once per quarter.
Probably don't need to do it NEAR that often, but it varies depending on the quality of water that you fill it with. More like once a year, if that. There are different anodes with different materials (Magnesium, Zinc and or Aluminum wrapped around a steel wire): If your anode is wearing at an abnormally fast rate (like quarterly), you can switch to a slower reacting anode (aluminum).

Magnesium is (generally) better for soft water, and city treated water.
Aluminum and zinc are (generally) better for harder water, and well water.

They're nice and cheap and easy to obtain. If you dump your hot water heater at the end of every camping trip and/or store it dry, you'll get a chance to see the anode pretty often. Sounds like that's not how you do things though.

Here's a good vid on all things anode-roddy:

15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 06:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinedad View Post
One thing the purchase briefing never mentioned was the need to replace the anode. I finally did after years of ownership and it had completely dissolved. After extensive flushing, I mounted a new one and plan to replace it once per quarter.

Ok, maybe everybody knows this - but I was new to camping and had no idea. Good news - you will need a socket and wrench to handle it, but easy to do. I discovered it after watching a camper maintenance video on YouTube.

So, in case there is anyone else out there who had no idea; word to the wise. Keep an eye on the anode and replace it regularly.
Just an FYI: Unless you live somewhere with really really horrible water your anode rod will last for several years. Replacing it quarterly is way overkill.

Jim M.
jimmarako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 07:14 PM   #14

Anode longevity

The 2008 Cherokee 38P has water for nine months a year. The water heater is still on its first anode rod, after 15 years. Per the attached image, our anode rod has more than 75% remaining, less than 25% used. The water here must be pretty benevolent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Anode rod.png
Views:	25
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	293460  
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, question, water, water heater