Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #1

Water Heater Pressure Valve

Is my pressure valve bad?
It does not leak and water heater seems to work fine. The only thing is that when I go to open the valve via the release to let pressure out to empty nothing happens and when I take out anode rod there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of pressure like it used to. I used to have to open release to let pressure off. It also does not let air out when filling. Any thoughts? Is it bad/going bad or something else? Thanks!
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I’ve never used my pressure valve.
Whenever I’m draining the water heater for whatever reason, I open the hot water taps throughout the rig to relieve any pressure.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
Brake is on left

They are pressure and temperature operated. It should not open to relieve pressure when filling. You would have to open it manually to allow air out. When hearing up for the trip, I open the valve manually and use the pump or city pressure to vent the air while filling the water heater. I like to make sire the tank is full before leaving.
If you are emptying the tank, there should be a vacuum. Not pressure.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
They are pressure and temperature operated. It should not open to relieve pressure when filling. You would have to open it manually to allow air out. When hearing up for the trip, I open the valve manually and use the pump or city pressure to vent the air while filling the water heater. I like to make sire the tank is full before leaving.
If you are emptying the tank, there should be a vacuum. Not pressure.
That is what i am saying, When i open it manually nothing happens. Bad valve? It is not leaking or anything.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Site Team

You said when you remove the anode rod there is no pressure. This means there is no pressure in the system so nothing will happen when you open the relief valve. The WH sees the same pressure as the entire water system. If there is pressure at a faucet, then there will be pressure at the relief valve and visa versa.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #6

Seems that there are a lot more scenarios that could account for low pressure in the water heater at a time that tmyou dont want / need pressure (doesnt aound like you're connected to city water or pump while performing this) than a bad valve.

If its not leaking when it shouldn't and if you dont have unexplainable pressure in the water heater, I, for one, wouldn't worry about that.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
Just as confused as you

Are you connected to shore water? Do you have water in your fresh water tank and the water pump turned on? Are you getting water in the water heater? Have you checked your water heaters bypass valves? Not enough information leads to many questions.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #8

Still in bypass from the fall?

Did you remember to take the water heater off Bypass? It was placed in bypass mode in the fall for winterizing, you know. If it is bypassed, there will be no pressure on it and it will remain empty--nothing from the anode rod/drain port or from the TP valve.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, pressure, valve, water, water heater