Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #1

Ways to use Internet, cell booster, Direct Tv

I have a 2018 Forester 2400WD. I am looking for advice on best equipment to use for internet/Wi-Fi, cell phone and watching television. I was thinking if I use my AT&T account we could use maybe Wingard to have WIFi and hook up to TVs to access our Direct TV account and Netflix. Is there a better way of doing it? Thanks for any input.
lsconyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #2

Hot Spot

Can you provide your own hot spot with your AT&T cell service?
Marnenorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Campground WIFI is not designed for streaming tv unless they have the option to add bandwidth to your log-in.

Get yourself a cell hotspot or use your phone as a hotspot.

Once you have the proper bandwidth of your own, you can use any of the streaming services such as Netflix, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, WestPA.tv, Sling, etc.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #4

Ways to use Internet, cell booster, Direct Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Campground WIFI is not designed for streaming tv unless they have the option to add bandwidth to your log-in.

Get yourself a cell hotspot or use your phone as a hotspot.

Once you have the proper bandwidth of your own, you can use any of the streaming services such as Netflix, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, WestPA.tv, Sling, etc.

Until you use up your 15 gigs in 3 days of unlimited and they throttle you back for the remainder of the month.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #5

HD video is around 3GB per hour so like the previous poster said, make sure unlimited doesn't get throttled.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:23 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Until you use up your 15 gigs in 3 days of unlimited and they throttle you back for the remainder of the month.
So, get a better plan.
They are out there.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:20 PM   #7

We have Att directv at home and ATT cell phone. We have unlimited cell service and with our moderate use we have never even come close to limits. We can get direct tv on the phones without using any data. I installed a weboost amp and antenna for when the cell service is weak which can be often when in the UP of Michigan.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
I streamed quite a bit of low resolution YouTube on weekend rv trips without ever going over my 15 gig At&t accoynt limit, But now we have cut the cord at home and get our TV from an antenna and our Internet from a verizon MiFi unlimited hot spot. We plan to take that MiFi in the rv along with a $30 mimo antenna . I also use a small entry level WeBoost with a small mag mount roof antenna which often gets me a signal where I didn't have one or pulls an unusable signal up to usable.

Needless to say we mostly dry camp. 380 watts of solar and 100gal plus on board water carry us for days without scrimping or going without any convenience.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #9

Check Technomadia.com

They are about the best as far as reviewing mobile internet equipment and providing information on plans and mobile communication needs.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
I streamed quite a bit of low resolution YouTube on weekend rv trips without ever going over my 15 gig At&t accoynt limit, But now we have cut the cord at home and get our TV from an antenna and our Internet from a verizon MiFi unlimited hot spot. We plan to take that MiFi in the rv along with a $30 mimo antenna . I also use a small entry level WeBoost with a small mag mount roof antenna which often gets me a signal where I didn't have one or pulls an unusable signal up to usable.

Needless to say we mostly dry camp. 380 watts of solar and 100gal plus on board water carry us for days without scrimping or going without any convenience.

Could you provide a few links to the equipment your talking about?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
Dahagen

I have T-Mobile 55+ with unlimited data and hot spot use. I changed from Verizon 15 gig MI-FI and cut my bill in half. I then bought a Firestick (not needed for a smart TV). Since I already pay for Amazon prime for shipping from Amazon, all the Amazon shows and movies are free. Then I changed my Netflix DVD account over to streaming and got much more video.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #12

We use the weboost drive sleek which is the lowest price unit they sell but it works great. You can find them at weboost.com and buy direct from there. The drive sleek includes antenna, amp and cradle for one phone. We use one of our phones as a wifi hotspot to use the computer or tablet. because of the signal gain you are not supposed to hold it up to your ear. weboost has other models that have an outside antenna, amp and inside antenna that works like a router at home and you can connect up to 4 or 5 devices.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #13

I have Xfinity cable at home. I take my modem, DVR and 1 additional wireless box on the road with us. If campground has cable TV, I can use the modem and DVR. While driving, the wife uses a Jetpack and connects to Xfinity through their app. She can watch her shows on live TV or access our online DVR to watch our recorded shows.
If we are at a campground without cable, we stream through the jetpack. We can connect up to 10 devices at once and ue them independent from each other. Streaming through the app does not use up the data plan.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
So, get a better plan.
They are out there.

I have the Verizon unlimited and they still throttle you at 15gigs per device. There is no streaming plan available to do what you imply unless you are tight with Howard Hughes.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #15

I use my AT&T phone as a hotspot. I have an unlimited plan on their FirstNet network that they can throttle the speed after 22 gigs. I frequently go over 22 gigs but they have never throttled it.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #16

We have Verison, unlimited. It is still limited and slows down. But we still stream and get pixelated or circles loading, but still works.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #17

netbuddy https://netbuddy.co/

$60 monthly truly unlimited data, no taxes or fees, start/stop monthly... the device is ordered either thru them, or on your own, but make sure it's the 'correct' device to allow this AT&T data sim card for this unlimited service - Netgear Explorer mifi device, which shares to up to 15 devices, phones, computers, laptops, ebooks, ipads, etc.

Stream, web search, online shopping...whatever and whenever you wish...as long as you are in AT&T cell service territory, which is mostly anywhere.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #18

From what I can find out, this is a Columbian Registered Internet Company. It appears they are selling an ATT plan that could be illegal. Anyway, I don't send my money directly to some foreign country.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
HD video is around 3GB per hour so like the previous poster said, make sure unlimited doesn't get throttled.

If you stream in 720p can you tell the difference in HD? Verizon has a deal now to stream in 720p is cheaper. I was just wondering if you could tell any difference in the quality of the video
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If you stream in 720p can you tell the difference in HD? Verizon has a deal now to stream in 720p is cheaper. I was just wondering if you could tell any difference in the quality of the video
720p is HD.

Did you mean the difference between HD and ultra HD which is ,4k?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote