Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 02:21 PM   #1

WFCO 8955 Fan Issue

Converter fan rarely runs, but used the ramp lighting this weekend and the load bumps the fan on.
Bad part: fan sounds like a dry bearing or such. Expect to replace but want a replacement before pulling the unit.
Any ideas re fan size? I see 40 to 80mm. And does the variable speed require anything special?
The converter is working. Just the fan noise worries me. If it fails, that would be bad.
Thanks, JRClick image for larger version

Name:	20210731_112625.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	260133
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:25 PM   #2

I recently replaced my entire 8955. Label on the fan says "Sunon kd1208pts1". Google gives me several hits and specs.

Edit: Amazon link.
MrRnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:23 PM   #3

My personal preference would be to replace the WFCO unit with a Progressive Dynamics unit or another brand with a better reputation. I have had 3 WFCO converters in new TT's but none of them worked properly. They were all replaced with PD's that worked as advertised.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:00 PM   #4

My part # is s01138812h. A google search led me to this https://forum.digikey.com/t/cross-re...01138812h/6971
Rick the Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:13 PM   #5

Excellent! Thanks much.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
My personal preference would be to replace the WFCO unit with a Progressive Dynamics unit or another brand with a better reputation. I have had 3 WFCO converters in new TT's but none of them worked properly. They were all replaced with PD's that worked as advertised.
I'm with you. To replace the WFCO fan the Converter section has to be removed and partly disassembled. If I got that far I'd just replace with a Progressive Dynamics replacement Converter Section that's a direct replacement for the WFCO.

Better charging and greater reliability. Yes, more money but well worth it if one has to rely on the batteries.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #7

I just replaced my WFCO 8955 converter with a Progressive Dynamics since I converted to Lithium batteries. If you want a cheap backup check the Classified ads as I am giving my WFCO away if you pay shipping (around $15). It was working great when I replaced it.

2016 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8524rlws
2002 Silverado 2500 HD LS 6.0 V8 4x4
H2Odogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:14 PM   #8

May change brands when this unit takes a dump, but, this thing, sans fan noise, works as designed. I might find that the fan noise us normal...fint really think so. I would expect a muffin fan sound as in a PC?
Afraid if the fan is failing, it'll take fan controller out with it.
I noted that the fan does a short run when the master switch is turn on. Maybe 5 seconds.
Had a 8945 in previous TT and fan ran a lot, but it was quiet. That unit had incandesent lighting. Loaded it up at night.
Our toy hauler fan rarely operates with the LED lighting. However, he ramp load lights will spin it up.
I'll do a fan and see how that goes.
Don't plan on any battery exotica.
This unit is an 8955PEC.
When describing other brands, are they interchangeable with standard hole and terminal locations?
I suppose a separate hard mount unit could be used while keeping the distribution feature intact and functional?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210801_173317.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	260214Click image for larger version

Name:	20210801_173219.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	260215
Old 08-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
May change brands when this unit takes a dump, but, this thing, sans fan noise, works as designed. I might find that the fan noise us normal...fint really think so. I would expect a muffin fan sound as in a PC?
Afraid if the fan is failing, it'll take fan controller out with it.
I noted that the fan does a short run when the master switch is turn on. Maybe 5 seconds.
Had a 8945 in previous TT and fan ran a lot, but it was quiet. That unit had incandesent lighting. Loaded it up at night.
Our toy hauler fan rarely operates with the LED lighting. However, he ramp load lights will spin it up.
I'll do a fan and see how that goes.
Don't plan on any battery exotica.
This unit is an 8955PEC.
When describing other brands, are they interchangeable with standard hole and terminal locations?
I suppose a separate hard mount unit could be used while keeping the distribution feature intact and functional?
Attachment 260214Attachment 260215
Progressive Dynamics makes an exact fit replacement for your converter section. Three input wires, hot, neutral, ground, and two output wires, pos and neg.

P/N. PD4655V and it comes with built in Charge Wizard which comes in handy for keeping batteries charged when using generator.

Changing out out is super easy with the hardest part being the bending over.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Progressive Dynamics makes an exact fit replacement for your converter section. Three input wires, hot, neutral, ground, and two output wires, pos and neg.

P/N. PD4655V and it comes with built in Charge Wizard which comes in handy for keeping batteries charged when using generator.

That looks good. May eventually do that.
Bought H0Dogs offering of a removed 8955OPEC converter.
I'll see where this goes. Not looking to change out battery profile. We run the generator when dry camping. Pups cannot do heat. Insane way to "camp" eh? We travel with 6 small pups.
The converter is working. Just a noisy fan. The fan, as is typical, must know something's up. It's getting quiet. Probably because it's being used? It could lock up over the winter? That would take out the fan control circuit.
I noticed that the fan does run for a few seconds when the master switch is turned on, yet no shore power. The converter must go thru a power-up routine. That was how I originally heard the noise.
Suppose a quiet fan that operated full time when on shore power would be doable. Never heat up. If it actually "heats" up? The board may add voltage to the fan with an algorithm in anticipation of heat? I will soon know.
Thanks for the info! I'm keeping the part number for Dynamics.
Cheers!
Old 08-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #11

Yes the fan does speed up when needed.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
That looks good. May eventually do that.
Bought H0Dogs offering of a removed 8955OPEC converter.
I'll see where this goes. Not looking to change out battery profile. We run the generator when dry camping. Pups cannot do heat. Insane way to "camp" eh? We travel with 6 small pups.
The converter is working. Just a noisy fan. The fan, as is typical, must know something's up. It's getting quiet. Probably because it's being used? It could lock up over the winter? That would take out the fan control circuit.
I noticed that the fan does run for a few seconds when the master switch is turned on, yet no shore power. The converter must go thru a power-up routine. That was how I originally heard the noise.
Suppose a quiet fan that operated full time when on shore power would be doable. Never heat up. If it actually "heats" up? The board may add voltage to the fan with an algorithm in anticipation of heat? I will soon know.
Thanks for the info! I'm keeping the part number for Dynamics.
Cheers!
Good plan.
PD makes an excellent product but thousands of us (including me) have successfully used our factory stock WFCO converters for years with no charging issues. My current WFCO 8955 has kept my batteries (two 12v) in good shape going on 5 years. I just tested both with a hydrometer and they are right to spec.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I just bought the PD4655L with pendant, L version will work with lithium if I ever decide to upgrade.

The old WFCO never went above 13.6, I now see 14.4 with the PD.
latner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:41 AM   #14

My 8955PEC charges initially at 14.2 for only 8-10 minutes, and draws about 10A + @ 120Vac.
It then tapers off 13.6Vdc at the battery drawing 4-6A @ 120Vac. That rate is where it remains for some hours. A float voltage when no load sets at 13.2Vdc. AC line load is minimal.
A low battery bank with a 30A shoreline requires consideration when air conditioner is operating. I installed a converter breaker so that the converter can be switched off if necessary.
That sort of power management may be the purpose of Progressives "charge wizard" when running a generator?
My batteries are rarely lower than 12.4Vdc. That likely shortens the bulk charge time?
Wired a 120Vac V/Amp meter and a 12Vdc V/Amp meter into the front panel. Works great when not on shore power. Being on shore power causes the panel dc amps to read in error. Vdc reads correctly.
Convenient to connect to shore and charge batteries without entering the camper in order to turn on the master.
And, as stated, the fan does cycle for a few seconds whenever 12Vdc master is switched on, and no shore power. Never new that until last week. Another reason to believe the fan motor is failing. Listened to this thing for three years now. New noise.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210801_173217.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	260323
Old 08-04-2021, 06:36 AM   #15
Site Team

My WFCO unit would go into boost mode every time we plugged into shore power. On a 6 week trip we moved many times including several 1 night stops. The WFCO would go into automatic boost mode whether it needed to or not. By the time I got home my batteries were boiled dry. In fact at my last stop on the way home my schwintec slide refused to go out due to high battery voltage! It was way up like 16 volts. I had to unplug and turn on all the vent fans and lights to pull my poor nearly dry batteries down to a voltage the slide control board would accept.
When we got home I immediately ordered the PD replacement and then off to Sam's club for another set of golf cart batteries.
If you plan to keep your trailer a few years I join the rest advising you to go ahead and replace that WFCO.
Happy Trails!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:59 AM   #16

I have bought replacements from Best Converter twice now and recommend them to anybody. I have also used the boon docker product and loved it. great warranty.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #17

We now have proof of fan failure courtesy of H20Dogs.
Revieved the converter and just compared the fan. H20's fan is far different...very quiet.
Thanks for all t advice, and 5 of 5 stars to H20 for getting the converter down here promptly.
Wrapping up my awning and heading out next week. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210806_092356.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	260463
Old 08-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #18

spares are good
Old 08-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #19

Well. Shoulda looked back in there a bit.
What I found was large white wire (DC ground?) that was contacting the back of the fan.
Couldn't see it without laying down in front of the converter.
Tie tied the wire to the upper inner area of the fan. Turned every DC item on, and the fan is back to normal. Very quiet.
Sitting and looking at H20's unit, I told my wife that it could be one of the DC leads touching the fan.
All good now!
Thanks
Old 08-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #20

Glad I could help you out. Looking at the picture you posted it looks like I could have cleaned that converter a bit before I sent it to you.

2016 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8524rlws
2002 Silverado 2500 HD LS 6.0 V8 4x4
H2Odogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, wfco