Old 11-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #1

What is under the roof ?

The exterior coax cable going to the Winegard TV antenna on my Georgetown 337DS has degraded to where it is impacting performance. Before I remove the cable feed through adapter on the roof, I would like to know what I am going to find. The coax coming off the power supply appears to be different from the exterior coax. Is there a connector under the roof adapter or is a simple straight feed that I need to breech? Any info is appreciated
young55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #2

See if you have an external connection on the roof. On mine it got corroded inside the connect t or and degraded the signal enough to only get a couple channels. I made up new ends, all better now.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #3

The coax comes out of a Winegard CE4000 roof plate and goes to the antenna. I ran an external coax from the power supply directly to the antenna, and all worked well. The original coax is physically degraded and there is a substantial voltage drop as measured at the end . Before I go through the hassle of pulling up the roof plate, I was hoping to get some Intel of what I will find from the factory installation.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #4

After much waffling, I finally removed the roof plate. I discovered a highly corroded coax coupler and two bad connectors. I have concluded that the cracked insulation allowed moisture to wick down the braided shield to the connectors and coupler. Replaced the coax with outdoor rated cable and used gold plated connectors and coupler. Sealed everything with Dicor and all is well. Lesson learned - inspect your exposed cables when you inspect your roof.

Tags
roo, roof