Old 10-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #1

What's with my A/C?

My A/C keeps tripping the campground's pedestal electrical circuit breaker (30 amp) under heavy load. I cleaned out the external fins in the hopes that dirty fins were causing the compressor to draw too much. Strangely, it's not tripping my internal breakers. Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #2

Might just be a bad park breaker...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forest River Forums mobile app

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #3

Maybe overloading pedestal breaker when running AC and other appliances are on. Make sure water heater and fridge is on propane only and check again.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped:2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019(28)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

I would suspect the campground's breaker.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Not a newbie

Do you have a voltage protector that shows amp draw? If not, you should. Mine shows amps and tells me that my 13,500 ac uses 11.5 amps full load. What surprised me was the fridge and WH almost put me over the 30 amp line.

If your ac is a lot more than that, its a problem. If your total amp draw is 20 to 25 amps, the CG breaker is bad.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleville Bob View Post
My A/C keeps tripping the campground's pedestal electrical circuit breaker (30 amp) under heavy load. I cleaned out the external fins in the hopes that dirty fins were causing the compressor to draw too much. Strangely, it's not tripping my internal breakers. Any ideas?
Another thought for you is it might be tripping on start ups. Also your unit 30 amp is stronger then the parks. Without knowing your true amp draw it impossible to know. Your water heater is a big draw, not so much the refer, but you also have a converter running all the time. Sorry I can't be of more help, if your at a 50/30 site, and have a dog bone, just plug into the 50 amp breaker.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

My old TT did this, and I had one campground change out the breaker on my pedestal. It worked for that trip, but continued to do it, and eventually got to where it would not start. Luckily I was still under warranty (extended warranty, but covered), and the compressor was locked up. Got a new unit, and all was well until we traded it in. So be prepared in case it is the compressor and not just a bunch of bad breakers.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #8

Thanks. I hope the compressor is not the issue, that sounds pricey.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks. I hope the compressor is not the issue, that sounds pricey.
More then likely it's just would be on start up , you can plug in a soft start for about 15.00 bucks, that will kick you out of the start wind that pulls the big amp. Most of the time that takes care of the tripping problem.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #10

I suppose Amazon has such a 'start up?' Never heard of one before.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #11

First I'd vote for a bad CG breaker. As fonzie said, put the fridge and WH on gas and try that. IF the CG breaker does not trip with the fridge and WH on gas then your entire circuit is drawing too much amperage for the CG breaker. Witch Doctor is also correct in that you would need to know your unit's total amperage draw to determine IF you may be overloading the CG breaker. As far as maybe the A/C compressor has gone bad, yes that could get expensive. I know of no one who would try to change out an RV A/C compressor. Unlike residential/commercial A/C units the RV units do not have service ports so that the freon can be pulled out, change the compressor, and re-charge the system. Others will state that a service port(s) can be installed on RV units but my experience is that these will leak within 2 years or less.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #12
...far N Georgia!

chances are, it's just a simple 'worn out', or otherwise 'overly sensitive' 30amp Shore Power breaker from the campground.
Have the management change it out with a new one, and I'll bet your problems are no longer : )

Happened to me recently, even though the management/maintenance man acted as though I was simply just 'using too much', but since I know I can easily run TWO air conditioners on 30amp, as I've done it many times before, having the breaker trip on a single air conditioner is a symptom that does not lye within my coach, but at the breaker.
The breaker was switched out, and I had no issues the rest of the next three days : )

(sometimes we know more than THEY do !)

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #13

Yes it's called either a quick start or easy start. It's just a capicator with 2 wires that you add to the exiting one on the unit, very easy to do, I think that will end your problem.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #14

How hot is it where you are located and how full is the campground? Low voltage at the pedestal causes high amps. First thing I would do is plug into the 50 amp outlet and see if you have the same problem.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #15

Talking Tripping

Quote:
Bad campground breaker, or loose wiring in pedestal.
2corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #16

I had the same problem with my circuit breaker outside and found out that my circuit breaker was loose I have it replaced and put a new plug on my Box outside for my 30AM plug and I've had no problem Sense
deadbugdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #17

When you say 'my box outside,' do you mean your own power source on your property?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #18

This is the hard start kit:

https://www.amazon.com/SPP6-Capacito...rds=SUPCO+SPP6

Be aware of two things. First, you have to disassemble your A/C unit to access the internal wiring. Second, they don't always help. I bought one for my RV A/C and it reduced starting current rush less than 10 %. I believe that in my case the factory already had installed a version of the Hard Start circuit.

As Witch Doctor mentioned, if your site has a 50 amp outlet in addition, you can use the 50 to 30 adaptor. Camco 55175.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=camco+55175

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #19

a Hundred Thank Yous. Love this forum!
Old 10-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #20

Check out the Micro Air soft start. It is not a hard start solution. If it is a voltage spike from the AC kicking on causing the CG breaker to trip, then the Micro Air should help.
It brings the AC online in stages to prevent the spike problems. On a 15k AC like mine, the normal start up amperage can momentarily be over 40 amps. It’s a very short split second event, but it can trip the breaker. The Micro Air system, can reduce that split second 40+ amp start, to something closer to 17. Search the forum for Micro Air, and you’ll find more and better info.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote