Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #1

Where does this wire go?

We seldom use the air conditioner on our 2019 Grey Wolf 20RDSE. Today I took down the interior cover to clean the foam filter and found this dangling green wire. Any ideas where it goes? I think it is Dometic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0895.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	256815  
BradJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJB View Post
We seldom use the air conditioner on our 2019 Grey Wolf 20RDSE. Today I took down the interior cover to clean the foam filter and found this dangling green wire. Any ideas where it goes? I think it is Dometic.

There should be a wiring schematic under the shroud of the unit printed on the control box cover. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to the coloring of wires in the rv world.
TruckDriver1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #3

I found the schematic and there is no green wire on it. All grounds were about 14 gauge green/yellow, which I found. I took lots of pics and went to the camper dealer. The outfit from whom I bought had sold out to someone called RV1. This was my second interaction with them and the service manager seems most unfriendly. He didn’t want to give me the time of day. I went into a new unit and photographed the wiring, but the green wire in question was connected to an orange with connectors unlike mine. Tomorrow I have an AC guy coming to check it out. His gut feeling is that it may be an unused wire left bare by sloppy assemblers. The unit worked a couple weeks ago while camping and may still work now. There is no power at my storage unit so I am hoping my little Honda 2200 has enough power to check it out tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:14 AM   #4

Quote:
I found the schematic and there is no green wire on it. All grounds were about 14 gauge green/yellow, which I found. I took lots of pics and went to the camper dealer. The outfit from whom I bought had sold out to someone called RV1. This was my second interaction with them and the service manager seems most unfriendly. He didnít want to give me the time of day. I went into a new unit and photographed the wiring, but the green wire in question was connected to an orange with connectors unlike mine. Tomorrow I have an AC guy coming to check it out. His gut feeling is that it may be an unused wire left bare by sloppy assemblers. The unit worked a couple weeks ago while camping and may still work now. There is no power at my storage unit so I am hoping my little Honda 2200 has enough power to check it out tomorrow.

One thing I have learned from owning my camperÖif it works, then leave it alone. There is no rhyme or reason why the industry does half of what it does. Just make sure to put a wire nut or something to cap it off and go with it.
TruckDriver1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
It looks like it is coming from the thermostat (it is in the brown wrapper with the other thermostat wires). It is green so that is the fan hi line. If your thermostat can select fan hi/lo, then this might be useful to hook up. Otherwise, snip it off and put a wrap of electric tape on it.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #6

But where?

I agree it is coming from the thermostat, but I donít know what to connect it to. It is likely a ground wire, so maybe to an available screw on ceiling framing?
Old 06-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
I agree it is coming from the thermostat, but I don’t know what to connect it to. It is likely a ground wire, so maybe to an available screw on ceiling framing?
It is not a ground wire. It is the fan hi wire. Do not connect it to ground. If you do and your thermostat asks for fan hi, it will blow the fuse in the thermostat.

While FR seems to use random colors for most wires, I have found they are consistent with their thermostat colors. Probably because the thermostats themselves are labeled.

Does your thermostat have a selector for fan lo/hi or is that on the a/c unit itself?
Old 06-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #8

Mystery mostly solved. I took off the thermostat to find the green wire unused and tucked back into the sheathing. Indeed, on the thermostat there are only three locations for wires, in this case red, white, and blue. The green is unused. The manual for the thermostat says there are three settings: high, low, and auto. I have only ever used auto. I taped up the loose green in question as it apparently is not needed.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Mystery mostly solved. I took off the thermostat to find the green wire unused and tucked back into the sheathing. Indeed, on the thermostat there are only three locations for wires, in this case red, white, and blue. The green is unused. The manual for the thermostat says there are three settings: high, low, and auto. I have only ever used auto. I taped up the loose green in question as it apparently is not needed.
Excellent! Red is +12V, blue is ground, white is compressor on. They probably use the white line to turn on the fan and compressor at the same time.

If you ever want the option for fan lo/hi, you could do some research to see if your a/c can do that and upgrade your thermostat. Then you can use that green wire. Otherwise, enjoy!

Tags
wire