Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: In your opinion, which is the best RV Air Conditioner?
Dometic 18 35.29%
Coleman 29 56.86%
General Electric 2 3.92%
Advent 0 0%
Furrion 2 3.92%
Atwood 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #41

I am going to Hi-Jack this thread for a moment. Since we have some HVAC experts here.

Can a House type thermostat be used in an RV? Analog or digital?

Thanks!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:43 PM   #42
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Electricity must be cheap or you have a very efficient home. The bill I just got was 225, but it has prolly averaged 95 or more as a high and someone is home ALL THE TIME! No set back for me.

Btw. No one cares, but I vote for Rheem or Ruud. I have put in a bunch of them and worked on bunches of types. I am not a huge fan of cleaning the older cube coils, but the rest was very easy to service. Overall for me…it’s the one I would buy.
We are fortunate temp here has only hit 90 or better 5 days in July and 6 days in June. The humidity here has been oppressive most of time, so very few 'open window' days. I also have a time of day meter. Electricity is half the cost off peak, but 2x the cost on peak. Off peak is 9p-9a mon-fri and all weekend. I try to do most of cooling at night and in morning before 9 (pre-chill a bit in morning). With blinds drawn on sunny rooms and registers closed to bedrooms we don't use, the AC doesn't kick on till mid or late afternoon.

Thank you for input on Rheem and Ruud, I'll keep that in mind when we eventually replace the central air unit.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Thought the power use was high for a 9.5 compared to a 13.5 .
I think there are alway minimums, like they all need a fan. I was hoping more for the noise level.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
We are fortunate temp here has only hit 90 or better 5 days in July and 6 days in June. The humidity here has been oppressive most of time, so very few 'open window' days. I also have a time of day meter. Electricity is half the cost off peak, but 2x the cost on peak. Off peak is 9p-9a mon-fri and all weekend. I try to do most of cooling at night and in morning before 9 (pre-chill a bit in morning). With blinds drawn on sunny rooms and registers closed to bedrooms we don't use, the AC doesn't kick on till mid or late afternoon
This is the third morning it has been 55 outside and 60 inside when I got up at 5:00.
Even with CA power gouging prices my bill averages $125. I really can’t tell anything different with the a/c since it is used too infrequently. My a/c units are Midea. I installed them when I built the house, so they have beed in service about 3 years. Hydronic is heated by Navien and a separate one for hot water.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
I am going to Hi-Jack this thread for a moment. Since we have some HVAC experts here.

Can a House type thermostat be used in an RV? Analog or digital?

Thanks!
I believe all household thermostats use 28 volts AC to operate their thermostat whereas RV thermostats use 12 volts DC. You could use a small 120 VAC to 28 VAC transformer to supply the 28 volts to the thermostat, but why? Whatever you use, I would go digital.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:44 PM   #46

Sorry took so long. But thanks for the info.
Appreciate it.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:22 AM   #47
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Sorry took so long. But thanks for the info.
Appreciate it.
Many household thermostats use an internal battery for power. They work perfectly fine in a R/V.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Many household thermostats use an internal battery for power. They work perfectly fine in a R/V.
Why didn't I think if that 🙄

Thanks!

Tags
air conditioner