Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to MendocinoExplorer Send a message via Skype™ to MendocinoExplorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlynxgolfer View Post
Thinking of buying a WI FI Boosting antenna for Rig. I have read in some camp

grounds when signal is a distance away this would help capture signal better.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

We have one. Works great when there is a signal around somewhere. We use it at home as a ‘network extender’ so we can get WiFi in our garden.

We travel with 5 iDevices ( I know! Geesh!). Having them all subscribe to the WiFiRanger saves a lot of time when arriving at a new place.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #22

My experience with campground WiFi has been that it works great --------- until evening time when the sites have filled and everyone's kids have logged in.

Kind of like two dozen trailers trying to get city water off one hose connection and a lot oa Y-connectors.

My plan is to stick with my hotspot.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #23

We use a setup by Alfa. It is a WIFI Receiver/booster and a Network adapter. This setup lets us create our own network secured with a password that prevents anyone else in the campgound from gaining access to our computers through the network.

Easy to set up and very personal. But, as others have said, it makes a good solid connection, but if the bandwidth is not there it will still be sloooooooooow.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #24

Now, just RVing and having fun, I use the WiFi available at the RV park and if I really need something, I just go to the office for a strong signal. However, since I am RVing for fun, I do not worry about TV or that kind of entertainment - When I go out in the RV, part of the reason is to leave all that stuff behind and unwind. I have a cell phone for emergencies if I need it but RVing for me and my wife is for fishing, visiting friends, visiting places of interest, campfires, star gazing, relaxing and I have a hard time doing that with a TV. Been camping since the time we only had 3 TV stations that all went off the air at 11 or 12 at night so I find it good to get back to a simpler time. Just me personally since I am no longer working.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #25

I did a review of the Alpha unit a while back (http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-130193-3.html) I still use it and am very happy with it for the $100 it cost (1/5 of the others).

Its true, it will boost the wifi signal but if the signal you are connecting to is crap, that's what you are going to get.

I use Comcast for my provider at home. That means I can connect to any Xfinity hotspot anywhere with my login. That's where the Alpha unit comes in handy. Most places we go there is an Xfinity hotspot that I can connect to and get full speed from the connection. As others have stated, it also provides a connection for 5 devices via wireless. Its easy to setup and to connect. The alpha unit provides a significant range increase showing hotspots that are not seen with any other device I have.

I manufactured a simple base that is "H" shaped to mount the antenna on and sit it on top of my slide out when extended. It puts it up high and works great. I run the USB cable through the hole for my power cord on the side of the trailer and connect it to the router. Its really a snap to setup.

I recommend looking at one of those while looking at the other devices.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #26

Wi-Fi antennas

I installed two wi-fi booster antennas last year and it made a huge difference. Both antennas are from Radio Labs. One is a simple beam type of passive unit and the other is an omnidirectional unit with an amplifier that you can pick up and amplify any signal. The beam unit picks up signals further away (far away) but does not amplify and re-broadcast for ALL your devices to work with. The beam type antenna plugs directly into your laptop via a UBS connection.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:31 PM   #27

We will be living in our 5er for probably 4-6 months starting in June. We do have a WiFi Ranger. Would you with experience suggest using your phone for a hot spot or some other device. We currently have AT&T for phones. Been looking at changing to Verizon. I have 2 boys with iPads or lap tops and my wife will be on her laptop. If we have 4 phones that we can use hotspot from for our own extra devices would that work.
I.E. my wife’s phone hotspot for her laptop. My sons phone hotspot for his laptop etc.?
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
We will be living in our 5er for probably 4-6 months starting in June. We do have a WiFi Ranger. Would you with experience suggest using your phone for a hot spot or some other device. We currently have AT&T for phones. Been looking at changing to Verizon. I have 2 boys with iPads or lap tops and my wife will be on her laptop. If we have 4 phones that we can use hotspot from for our own extra devices would that work.
I.E. my wife’s phone hotspot for her laptop. My sons phone hotspot for his laptop etc.?

My suggestion is to become a “Mobile Internet Aficiando” at www.rvmobileinternet.com to get the preset updates on plans. There are big changes afoot with AT&T hotspots right now.

But, yes- your phone hotspots will support a device or two each. You’ll want to have it plugged in as it is a battery hog.

I personally prefer external hotspot devices (like a Verizon JetPack or AT&T Unite). They can be setup and your internet doesn’t leave when someone takes their phone with them. But, they’re an extra cost with forever more rules around their use.

Will you be traveling for the 4-6 months? Or will you be stationary in one location?
Old 03-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My suggestion is to become a “Mobile Internet Aficiando” at www.rvmobileinternet.com to get the preset updates on plans. There are big changes afoot with AT&T hotspots right now.

But, yes- your phone hotspots will support a device or two each. You’ll want to have it plugged in as it is a battery hog.

I personally prefer external hotspot devices (like a Verizon JetPack or AT&T Unite). They can be setup and your internet doesn’t leave when someone takes their phone with them. But, they’re an extra cost with forever more rules around their use.

Will you be traveling for the 4-6 months? Or will you be stationary in one location?

Thanks for the reply.

We will be staying in one spot in a RV Park. They do offer WiFi but like everyone says and I’ve noticed at other parks the WiFi is pretty much useless...
Old 03-02-2018, 12:29 AM   #30

Ependydad. So I read through the link you posted previously. Sounds like for 4 lines staying with AT&T would be a better choice but changing my plan to an unlimited plan rather than switching to Verizon all together. I’m not tech savvy at all...
Old 03-02-2018, 12:32 AM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

We will be staying in one spot in a RV Park. They do offer WiFi but like everyone says and I’ve noticed at other parks the WiFi is pretty much useless...

If you’ll be at one spot in an RV park, talk to management to see if you can have a cable provider bring high speed Internet to your rig (just like you would do for a house).
Old 03-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #32

Quote:
If you’ll be at one spot in an RV park, talk to management to see if you can have a cable provider bring high speed Internet to your rig (just like you would do for a house).

I see what you’re saying. We need to add a 4th line for our son so we figure why not change the plan we have too and get an unlimited plan. Sounds like after tomorrow AT&T will be rolling out a unlimited plan for a few bucks cheaper than Verizon and very comparable to them. We’ve been with AT&T for many years and have no complaints but their unlimited plan was much more expensive than Verizon that’s why we were interested in changing to them.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:38 AM   #33

Quote:
I see what you’re saying. We need to add a 4th line for our son so we figure why not change the plan we have too and get an unlimited plan. Sounds like after tomorrow AT&T will be rolling out a unlimited plan for a few bucks cheaper than Verizon and very comparable to them. We’ve been with AT&T for many years and have no complaints but their unlimited plan was much more expensive than Verizon that’s why we were interested in changing to them.

Agree with ependydad, if you're not moving, look to get an internet provider for 4-6 months at the campground. If that isn't possible, then Cell Data is probably going to be your next best option. Looks like you have a couple of kids, if they do online gaming and stream shows, you might be surprised how much data they can use. The DW and our kids, who also do online school with the gaming and streaming can use over 3gb of 4g data in one day fairly easily. They will use up their 10gb of 4g Hotspot from their phone in less than 1/2 a month and then use my phone hotspot data. Not sure how much you are spending now, but you can lease an unlimited 4g MiFi Hotspot for ~$120 a month and everyone can use it. I am doing that, as I need fast reliable 4g bandwidth data for work.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:45 AM   #34
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
Not sure how much you are spending now, but you can lease an unlimited 4g MiFi Hotspot for ~$120 a month and everyone can use it. I am doing that, as I need fast reliable 4g bandwidth data for work.

I’m surprised your lease vendor is still operational. Do they give you a limit on the number of GB used? I know most went from unlimited to 200gb down to 100gb.

You’re right on usage. We tend to average about 150gb/month which is right about 5gb per day.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:45 AM   #35
Always Learning

Quote:

Read the fine print on the unlimited plans- most of the time “hotspot” data is capped and then throttled.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
Agree with ependydad, if you're not moving, look to get an internet provider for 4-6 months at the campground. If that isn't possible, then Cell Data is probably going to be your next best option. Looks like you have a couple of kids, if they do online gaming and stream shows, you might be surprised how much data they can use. The DW and our kids, who also do online school with the gaming and streaming can use over 3gb of 4g data in one day fairly easily. They will use up their 10gb of 4g Hotspot from their phone in less than 1/2 a month and then use my phone hotspot data. Not sure how much you are spending now, but you can lease an unlimited 4g MiFi Hotspot for ~$120 a month and everyone can use it. I am doing that, as I need fast reliable 4g bandwidth data for work.

Thanks for the info.

We spend about $155 now for 3 lines. I say 4-6 months but it may be less and may (a slight may) be more. So I’m looking for a temporary set up but I get your point. We would be using it more for my wife to search for jobs and the kids to do minimal gaming.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Read the fine print on the unlimited plans- most of the time “hotspot” data is capped and then throttled.

Right... not being techy at all what does that really mean? I also read they throttle it depending on local usage in that area and it may or may not be noticeable when or if they do throttle it.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #38

Quote:
I’m surprised your lease vendor is still operational. Do they give you a limit on the number of GB used? I know most went from unlimited to 200gb down to 100gb.

You’re right on usage. We tend to average about 150gb/month which is right about 5gb per day.

My original lease was for true unlimited, the most data I have used in a month is about 170gb, the last 4-5 months the usage has been lower I think it hit about 115 one month but the mostly right around 100gb. They have not told me anything changed so I believe I am still full unlimited.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #39

Interested in seeing this discussion. WIFI on road can be a real hassle.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If your in a park that charges for the internet, it should be good service. But they only usually allow two devices at a time. If your using a booster to increase the signal strength, it will count as one device and multi-devices inside your RV could operate one device.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote