Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

Question WI FI Boosting is it worth to have.

Thinking of buying a WI FI Boosting antenna for Rig. I have read in some camp
grounds when signal is a distance away this would help capture signal better.
Any thoughts.
Thanks
Rlynxgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #2

Myself I use a jet pack I don't trust campsite wifi, but there are many forum members that work full time from their rigs and use boosters and other equipment to ensure solid signals.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Always Learning

My view is a little skewed. As SeaDog mentioned: my family fulltimes and I need 8-10 hours online for my day job.

That out of the way...

You’ve read correctly- that’s exactly what a WiFi booster does. It helps you connect to more distance WiFi sources.

The problem is- generally the WiFi you’re capturing isn’t good for anything other than checking email (slowly) and possibly a little bit of web browsing (again, slowly). Streaming is out of the question (Netflix, Hulu, etc). A booster doesn’t speed up slow connections- it just helps you connect and stay connected.

I generally stay in RV parks more than campgrounds and find that they usually do a decent job of having WiFi coverage. The problem is the speed of the WiFi isn’t usable for anything that I need.

Like SeaDog, I carry a hotspot device (aka JetPack). (Well, because of my needs- I carry one for Verizon and another for AT&T for redundancy.) When Service is bad, I have cellular antennas and boosters but these are separate from the WiFi booster antenna. When things are really bad, I either fallback to campground WiFi OR make a drive to find somewhere one of my hotspots work.

^^^ that’s the only thing I use my WiFi booster for. All devices in my camper connect to it and never directly to the hotspot devices or to the campground WiFi. I point the booster at whatever internet source is best and that changes everything at once. In fact, I love it for that reason.

But, as an actual booster and/or external antenna... I don’t think I’ve ever found use out of it.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #4

I’m definitely following this thread. We don’t try to stream anything, just look at things like this forum. One of the places we go has poor in and out WiFi, the other park is only about 2 miles from that and has no wi fi. A third local place only has WiFi at the lodge at the other end of the park. Something like a antenna and booster might work for us. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I’m definitely following this thread. We don’t try to stream anything, just look at things like this forum. One of the places we go has poor in and out WiFi, the other park is only about 2 miles from that and has no wi fi. A third local place only has WiFi at the lodge at the other end of the park. Something like a antenna and booster might work for us. Jay
Yep, should help.

I personally like the WiFiRanger the best. While more expensive than the alternatives, I find that it's the most user friendly. And while I am tech savvy, I don't really want to futz with Internet options while I'm getting setup. I'm looking for the quickest and easiest path to getting Internet to work.

http://wifiranger.com/
Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
PhD, Common Sense

I am looking for something that would reach about 1/4 mile. My town is installing free WiFi on Main Street.

It may be useful at times to be able to bring that in while at home—in addition to being useful at campgrounds. I have been at some where I had to walk around with my iPad to get WiFi.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #7

Anyone/everyone using free/public wifi should be using a VPN (Virtual Private Network). If not others using the network could see your private information. I use NordVPN, cost is $33.00 per year. A VPN will slow your connection but in today’s would is a MUST.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I have been at some where I had to walk around with my iPad to get WiFi.

That is definitely a case where a booster/external antenna helps.

As for the 1/4 mile- it’s hard to say. The boasted claims of 2 miles is line of sight. Add buildings, trees, and whatnot and it’ll be limited.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdeejr View Post
Anyone/everyone using free/public wifi should be using a VPN (Virtual Private Network). If not others using the network could see your private information. I use NordVPN, cost is $33.00 per year. A VPN will slow your connection but in today’s would is a MUST.

What does a VPN protect? Your computer at rest or someone snooping on the HTTP traffic?

If the latter and if I’m on a SSL site, how does a VPN benefit me?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #10

Difference between SSL and VPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
What does a VPN protect? Your computer at rest or someone snooping on the HTTP traffic?

If the latter and if I’m on a SSL site, how does a VPN benefit me?
If you are on a TLS (used to be SSL) site, without a VPN, someone can see that you are going to ShadySite.com, but they can't see what you are asking for or receiving or sending. Just the origin and destination addresses and request type (port).

If you are using a VPN, they can't even see that. Just a bunch of packets between you and your VPN host.

If you don't care that someone sees you using amazon.com, google.com, walmart.com, etc., then you don't need the VPN.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #11

I use IPvanish for a vpn. Very user friendly. There is also one I have used called Tunnel Bear. They are not free.
Is there anything that can help to stream video on these weak wifi sites?

Rockwood ultra lite 2440ws
2014 Toyota Tundra 4wd v8 5.7
reese hitch
reese revolution on rv
Bose04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
If you are on a TLS (used to be SSL) site, without a VPN, someone can see that you are going to ShadySite.com, but they can't see what you are asking for or receiving or sending. Just the origin and destination addresses and request type (port).

If you are using a VPN, they can't even see that. Just a bunch of packets between you and your VPN host.

If you don't care that someone sees you using amazon.com, google.com, walmart.com, etc., then you don't need the VPN.

Larry
I do love me some ShadySite.com.

You're right about TLS vs. SSL - old habits die hard.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm in IT and am actually a web developer by trade. I use VPNs for work daily. That said, I've often seen the recommendation to use a VPN but never the "why". Your response clears that up for me.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #13

A booster will definitely help pull in wifi hotspots from a greater distance than you pc antenna. I have long used the Alfa AWUS036H which has been superceded now but you can see mine on amazon here
https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H.../dp/B003YI4HRM

Works well if you pull up outside a hotel or a mcdonalds or something that has free wifi. Most campgrounds have wifi that is a joke. Maybe you can get decent connectivity at 3 in the morning, but during peak hours it is horrible... they get a home cable or satellite connection and then expect 50 or more RV's to share it. You get a few people on Netflix and it is toast. We have used the Verizon jetpack for years and IMHO it is the only way to go. Much faster than tethering to your phone.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #14

WiFi Ranger

I am interested in the WiFi Ranger; while model do you all recommend/ thanks myrt
br23mat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #15

When I was full timing and working out of my RV, I subscribed to cable and used a cable modem for work. I needed something that was dependable and secure 7x24. Now, retired, I would use a jetpack or some sort of hotspot. 5G is already coming out and the speeds associated with that will be more than adequate if you have the phone signal. Recently, I used and ATT hotspot on my iPad for sales activity in my PT job and it worked great but I am in an area with excellent reception.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #16

All depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you just want to read emails and a bit of slow web browsing, then a WiFi booster is a cheap investment for when you are far from the hosts WiFi system.
But if you want to stream YouTube, Netflix, DirecTV Now or any other high use data....forgetaboutit!
I want DirecTV now and YouTube access. I have three hotspots, Verizon, AT&T and T-Moble. One might work better than the other depending where I’m located. But even with these devices I need a WeBoost cellular booster and various antennas including a big antenna on top of a 16’ painters extension pole....used as needed.
The cost for dedicated hotspots has come way down in the past 12 months, and all with unlimited streaming.
My AT&T is $20 a month, T-Mobile is $35 a month and Verizon is $40 a month.....DirecTV now subscription is $35 a month. .....For $130 a month I’m never witjout service and entertainment no matter where I’ve traveled over the past year.
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #17

I have the wifi ranger for about 2 years.. the biggest benefit I have found is where the campground restricts you to 1 or 2devices.. the wifi ranger is seen as 1 device, so the family can connect as many devices as we want.

I have been less successful in capturing better connections farther away. Mine sits about 15’ in the air when the TV antenna is up

I am in Canada and only visit the US on vacation so a US cell plan is not really feasible for me
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by br23mat8 View Post
I am interested in the WiFi Ranger; while model do you all recommend/ thanks myrt
I bought an older version of this:
http://wifiranger.com/shop/product/59-eliteac-pack
Old 03-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB19RR View Post
My AT&T is $20 a month, T-Mobile is $35 a month and Verizon is $40 a month.....DirecTV now subscription is $35 a month. .....For $130 a month I’m never witjout service and entertainment no matter where I’ve traveled over the past year.
Sad to say- AT&T is killing off the $20/month option.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
When I was full timing and working out of my RV, I subscribed to cable and used a cable modem for work.
I assume you were stationary in one spot?