Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2022, 09:20 PM   #1

Wifi Options for out 5th wheel?

Hi Everyone!
I would like to know if anyone uses any wifi extenders to get a better signal from a wifi hot spot or free wifi that most rv parks or campgrounds have? We have Roku TV & a laptop computer that we will like to be able to use when camping or staying in an RV park. Don't want to spend money for the Dish Network stuff for rv's if I don't have to. Any suggestions & information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so kindly. Loving this forum!!!
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ Club Cab
Dura Max Diesel, Allison Transmission
Kimmytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:43 AM   #2

We too have looked into this. Our Sabre doesn't come with anything from the factory, so we looked at buying a cellular signal booster for our Verizon JetPack for some of the locations we visit annually. Wifi at the campgrounds are not built to handle the demands for streaming services, only occasional web page browsing. Even then, most park's Wifi don't have near enough bandwidth to accommodate the post-Covid packed campgrounds these days.

Problem with most boosters out there is they're very expensive and only support 4GLTE. You may wish to postpone getting any signal booster until 5G is widely rolled out and the booster manufacturers build 5G support into their products. They want too much for these to have to purchase a second time in the next year or two.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:48 AM   #3

Our Sierra came from factory with the King WiFi extender. It provides some network separation security and also promotes range extension, but you are only as good as the network WiFi backbone bandwith available and at most parks it is somewhere between OK to not so good. We use it when it's OK.
Many others use their phones as hot spots when there is no park WiFi.

At our home, we suffered for years with poor network bandwidth with only DSL being available. However we were able to get StarLink satellite about a year ago. It is absolutely FANTASTIC. Backbone speeds of 100Mb typically. I'll be getting it for our RV when it's available.
RV Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #4

For the computer and streaming, you're going to need a phone signal and a hotspot either on your phone or a standalone hotspot. Most campgrounds don't have a wifi signal fast or secure enough for your data. Of course, you need a plan to match the data you plan to use.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:48 AM   #5

If the signal isn't strong enough extending it wont help. Recent trip Campground's wifi was like all the rest, couldn't get it. Hot Spot from Phone worked ok for laptop. I'm on a unlimited cell plan so it's included. But keep in mind that if u have no service with your cell phone you won't get any hot spot out of it.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:31 AM   #6
Steve & Linda M.

If you are interested, here is a good resource : https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:43 AM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I hse a jet pack and have been able to use for all my WIFi and even Roku tv. works goo. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-18 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
If you are interested, here is a good resource : https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Excellent resource that I'll use when I start to research which wifi booster to install in my RV later this year....thank you!
Old 03-04-2022, 09:17 AM   #9
Steve & Linda M.

Thumbs up We are about to order a Force today

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Excellent resource that I'll use when I start to research which wifi booster to install in my RV later this year....thank you!
I'm considering the WiFiRanger Osprey. It hooks into the Winegard Air 360+ that comes on many new RVs.

I currently have a WiFiRanger Converge (Spruce/Denali) setup, one of the early releases a few years ago. With respect to reach, the Osprey might not reach out as far, but it can come with a Cat12 LTE Modem. There are always trade offs to consider. https://wifiranger.com/solutions/#lte
Old 03-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #10

Quote:
I'm considering the WiFiRanger Osprey. It hooks into the Winegard Air 360+ that comes on many new RVs.

I currently have a WiFiRanger Converge (Spruce/Denali) setup, one of the early releases a few years ago. With respect to reach, the Osprey might not reach out as far, but it can come with a Cat12 LTE Modem. There are always trade offs to consider. https://wifiranger.com/solutions/#lte

Like the sounds of the Osprey....I'm pretty sure I've got a Winegard 360 on my roof, so that would be outstanding that no external antenna needs to be installed and can just use what's already on my roof. My only requirement on whichever booster I get is it has to be 5G compatible. The good quality boosters are expensive and I don't want to upgrade again in another one or two years from now to have 5G. All of them I've looked at thus far only support 4GLTE so I'll wait it out.

No doubt, the Osprey seems to have excellent potential and not a bad price at $500, but it still only supports 4GLTE. I'm gonna have to see if they release an updated 5G version of it later this year, or next.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #11
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Like the sounds of the Osprey....I'm pretty sure I've got a Winegard 360 on my roof, so that would be outstanding that no external antenna needs to be installed and can just use what's already on my roof. My only requirement on whichever booster I get is it has to be 5G compatible. The good quality boosters are expensive and I don't want to upgrade again in another one or two years from now to have 5G. All of them I've looked at thus far only support 4GLTE so I'll wait it out.

No doubt, the Osprey seems to have excellent potential and not a bad price at $500, but it still only supports 4GLTE. I'm gonna have to see if they release an updated 5G version of it later this year, or next.
There are 3 Modems available with the Osprey. I don't recall all the details off the top of my head, but the Cat6 & Cat12 modems would likely accommodate 5G. You'd have to check the Bands, in the link I included, to determine if your preferred 5G providers Bands are covered. https://wifiranger.com/solutions/#lte
The Osprey is not, per say, a Booster. It's a modem. It doesn't boost the celluar signal. But being higher up on the RV, it does gain some advantage over a device sitting on the dinette table. Research is a good thing.

Also, you need to know that your roof unit is specifically the Winegard 360+.

This link specifically shows the 4G/5G nomenclature in the WiFi Ranger setup software :

If you're interested in a Booster then what you might want to consider is something like the WeBoost Drive Reach. These are passive devices that do boost all available signals. The provider isn't a consideration, as long as there is a signal from the provider that you are using. https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach-rv
Old 03-04-2022, 02:26 PM   #12

Quote:
There are 3 Modems available with the Osprey. I don't recall all the details off the top of my head, but the Cat6 & Cat12 modems would likely accommodate 5G. You'd have to check the Bands, in the link I included, to determine if your preferred 5G providers Bands are covered. https://wifiranger.com/solutions/#lte
The Osprey is not, per say, a Booster. It's a modem. It doesn't boost the celluar signal. But being higher up on the RV, it does gain some advantage over a device sitting on the dinette table. Research is a good thing.

Also, you need to know that your roof unit is specifically the Winegard 360+.

This link specifically shows the 4G/5G nomenclature in the WiFi Ranger setup software :

If you're interested in a Booster then what you might want to consider is something like the WeBoost Drive Reach. These are passive devices that do boost all available signals. The provider isn't a consideration, as long as there is a signal from the provider that you are using. https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach-rv

Thanks for the these informative links!

The Osprey I was looking at was listed at $500 and included the CAT12 modem, which supports more than twice the number of bands than the CAT6 modem at $400. Why would you even consider the CAT6 modem when you're already spending this much?

They do support my carrier, Verizon, so good news is I can ditch the JetPack I have with them now. This setup would be a nice alternative to a simple cellular signal booster. Just have to verify the Winegard on my roof is a 360+. I agree with you that it using the Winegard roof antenna would likely be a better antenna, and therefore provide a stronger signal than what you get built into a JetPack. Like you said, more research is necessary.

I did some research on the router and modem too. According to the cellular modem specs, its still a single 4G modem with LTE capabilities. They list the max theoretical download speed of the CAT12 modem of 600MB, which is in the 4GLTE range. 5G's same numbers are in the range of 1GB to 10GB. Also, if it did support 5G, I'd expect the router and modem to cost almost double than the $500 they have listed. I'm sure they'll have an upgraded model of this in the next few months or year from now that'll support 1GB or higher cellular wifi. But, damn it, I just don't want to wait that long
Old 03-04-2022, 03:02 PM   #13

I just have a $15 travel router plugged into the USB charging port next to my bed and velcro attached to the front window of the trailer. It gets the WiFi signal from my house and extends it to a seperate WiFi network set up for my trailer. I have a Raspberry Pi set up with a USB hard drive as a Plex Media Server. When I am outside of WiFi range, the travel router still creates the local WiFi network so the Roku box on my TV and all of my other laptops, tablets, and phones can connect and play movies from my Plex Server.

When I want internet and there is no WiFi in range, I turn on a hotspot on a phone and connect the travel router to the WiFi hotspot. No matter what condition I am in: external WiFi, no internet (no external WiFi available), or on the phone hotspot; the local WiFi network in my trailer remains exactly the same.

The only thing I ever have to reconfigure is which external WiFi network the router itself attaches to.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:01 PM   #14

Lets not confuse 5G with 5G. 5G on a WiFi router/modem/whatever one calls it means 5 gigahertz speed, but few devices can really take advantage of those speeds. It has nothing to do with incoming speeds. It is pretty nice if the router is mounted inside the RV and most times if within 50 feet or less. However, the transmitted signal is more reliable using 2.4G (gigahertz) since it is much less affected by interference from other devices and has a much longer range signal.

5G on a cellphone or hotspot means Fifth Generation. I still think it's a long way off before we get 5G cellular coverage in most campgrounds. It works great in most metro areas but get 10 miles away and it drops to 4G speeds. I tried the 5G service last month. Downtown I got 220 mbps while a 4G device only got 80 mbps. Drove to a nearby CG that I use a lot and the 5G device got less than 1 mbps while the 4G thing got 8 mbps.

Regardless, if one is getting 5-6 mbps then HD streaming on a Roku or Apple TV works just fine (at least with a Netgear M1 MR1100 (100 NAS)) hotspot. Haven't seen any difference when streaming from the iPhones. Yeah...I know some will say no way on being able to stream at 5 mbps but I ran up over 40 gigs of hotspot streaming over a 10 day period...but the speed was usually under 6 mbps.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #15

I upgraded my cell phones from 4G cellular to 5G cellular, and I have not noticed any difference in internet performance, even though the phone says it is connected to 5G data.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I upgraded my cell phones from 4G cellular to 5G cellular, and I have not noticed any difference in internet performance, even though the phone says it is connected to 5G data.
AT&T?
Old 03-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

Bear in mind there are other factors that'll dictate the download speeds you get. 1GB to 10GB is the "theoretical" speed range 5G is supposed to provide. However, performance will vary depending on the carrier (Verizon claims its 5G ultra wide is up to 14 times faster than their competitors) and how they design and rollout their network, latency, and how many other users are on the network at the same time, to name a few.

Eventually we'll see the 5G speeds promised as the technology matures and the carriers upgrade their networks to make it more widely available and is standardized.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Bear in mind there are other factors that'll dictate the download speeds you get. 1GB to 10GB is the "theoretical" speed range 5G is supposed to provide. However, performance will vary depending on the carrier (Verizon claims its 5G ultra wide is up to 14 times faster than their competitors) and how they design and rollout their network, latency, and how many other users are on the network at the same time, to name a few.

Eventually we'll see the 5G speeds promised as the technology matures and the carriers upgrade their networks to make it more widely available and is standardized.
I remember when 4G/LTE was started up. It took several years before it was in full effect most places, but not all.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
AT&T?
Yep. I was camping at a campground, I can't remember where exactly, and I had no signal with T-Mobile. I went into town and transferred by service to AT&T and went back to the campground. BAM - 3 bars data connection. Many subsequent trips to various campgrounds in Oregon after that where we recorded no T-Mobile cell service in our memory book, I now get at least 3 bars data service with AT&T. But, currently, I don't see much speed difference between T-Mobile 4G and AT&T 5G - just a whole lot more coverage.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #20
Canadian Member

Kimmytheone, most all campground wifi is poor at best and it’s not secure. So my recommendation is to forget about using campground wifi and focus on using a cell data service. There are lots of products on the market to help improve your connection to a cell tower. Here are a couple resources.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

https://mobilemusthave.com/
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel, wifi