Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Just my opinion

Wilson Cell Phone Booster

I'm looking at a Wilson 801245 AG SOHO 60 Com kit, and other than what a Wilson Electronics tech states, I'm wondering if anyone has any insite to this system. They're saying what I want to do is what these devices are built for.

What I'm wanting this to do is to boost our cell phone signal while at camp (our carrier is Sprint). If the cell boost works, I'd then like to activate the modem feature of my Galaxy S phone and use this to access the Internet with my laptop.

We stay at state parks here in Florida, so no wifi is available. What do you think?

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2013 - days engaged in camping so for... (28)
normh915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Just make sure whatever cell phone booster you buy works to boost data frequencies as well as voice.

Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit for Vehicle with Low Profile Antenna: Cell Phones & Accessories this model does.

The one you selected also boosts data.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Just my opinion

Thanks for mentioning data boosting. I hadn't even thought about that.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2013 - days engaged in camping so for... (28)
normh915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Just make sure whatever cell phone booster you buy works to boost data frequencies as well as voice.

Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit for Vehicle with Low Profile Antenna: Cell Phones & Accessories this model does.

Good call
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

The AG SOHO 60 is great for RVs and trailers and will boost 3G voice and data on Sprint and most other major carriers. I'm not sure what kit Wilson recommended but if you're thinking of Wilson's RV and Ambulance kit, realize that it requires you to drill through your roof in order to mount the outside NMO antenna. I went with a different kit so I could attach the antenna to my back ladder. It was more expensive but worth it to me not to have to drill through the roof!

The kit mentioned above in the quote (by the previous poster) will only boost the signal about 2 to 3 feet from the inside antenna. Good for a car, not ideal for an RV or trailer.
RVRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #6

wilson

we do this at home for verizon 4g.we add small omni directional antenna and got much better reception,I think ant.cable and the adapter was like 120.00 at the 3g store online
camperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #7

Re: Wilson Cell Phone Booster

Can anyone comment on their experience with the Wilson cell phone boosters and data connections with Verizon in the Moab/Canyonlands area?
JohnDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #8

I was looking at getting the Wilson 4G Sleek cradle to use with a Verizon Jet Pack. Has anyone used this cradle.

I'm just outside the 4G area according to their map, so I'm hoping this will get me 4G signal.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
I was looking at getting the Wilson 4G Sleek cradle to use with a Verizon Jet Pack. Has anyone used this cradle.

I'm just outside the 4G area, so I'm hoping this will get me 4G signal.
I've heard from people with 4G Sleeks where they are half a mile or more from the closest 4G LTE area and with a Sleek have been able to get a signal. That said, I don't have any personal experience because my RV Kit is 3G only.
RVRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #10

Yes I use the Wilson 4G Sleek cradle with the Verizon Jet pack and it works but it does not get 4G at my house because I am out of the 4G area. It does improve the 3G service that I get. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote