Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 06:07 AM   #1

Window AC dripped water all over the inside

Greetings All!

After the first real use of the season, we noticed that our Danby 8K window unit had dripped quite a lot of water all over the inside. I’m led to believe that this could be due to a clogged drain pan but I’m not sure how to check or where it drains (Wildwood FSX 197bh). Thanks for any assistance/pointers.
jtongarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #2

Window A/C units like this one need to be installed with a slope to the outside. Newer window A/C units do not drain all of the condensate from the bottom pan but collect it so the condenser fan can suck it up and spray it through the condenser fins. This increases the efficiency of the condenser and helps the unit comply with Energy Star requirements.

Excess condensate will eventually dribble out as it rises above the rim of the "drip hole".

It sounds like the unit in question is not installed with the proper slope towards the outside and condensate is accumulating too high at the inside.

Properly installed these window units almost look like they're starting to fall out of the window.

I don't have one in my TT but I do have a 12K unit in a window of my house. Only time I see dripping into my garden is when the humidity is high. The rest of the time the condenser fan sucks up enough and uses it to cool the condenser through evaporation.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:58 AM   #3

Thanks! I did neglect to mention that we were boondocking on a pretty decent slope. The trailer was definitely leaning with the unit inwards. This is great to know-thank you!
Old 05-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #4

So we went out again last night and the trailer was slanted ever so slightly outward, relative to the AC. Same problem after we started moving. I’m wondering if we just need to give the AC some time to drain, after running it all night? The outside is sealed up right and I haven’t a clue where the exterior drain hole might be. I removed the framing around it on the inside and this is all I can see:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1216.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	230306
Old 05-31-2020, 02:07 PM   #5

Sorry, meant to include the outside, as well.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1216.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	230308
Old 05-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtongarm View Post
So we went out again last night and the trailer was slanted ever so slightly outward, relative to the AC. Same problem after we started moving. I’m wondering if we just need to give the AC some time to drain, after running it all night? The outside is sealed up right and I haven’t a clue where the exterior drain hole might be. I removed the framing around it on the inside and this is all I can see:
Attachment 230306
A co-worker we camp with had a 19ft wildwood and no matter what they did it it eventually drained inside. Dealer told them they've always had issues with side air conditioners. I hope you have better luck and find a solution.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #7

We are having the exact same problem. [emoji31] seems like no matter how much we tilt the rv it still leaks inside. What did you end up doing? Does yours have a vent/cover on the roof above the window unit? Any idea how that ties in to the unit?
Livingwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
Retired Old Fart

I'm sort of surprised the Mini-Split AC industry does not make a RV/Trailer specific module. They have a ceiling mount cartridge, but it sure would be nice if they adapted it to be a drop in replacement for a standard roof mount cut out and paired it with smaller compressor units. It would be sealed to the outside world on the roof if they did.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #9

Yes, would be nice! but in the meantime... still looking to hear from people who have dealt with the window mounted FOrest river units... 🤞🏼
Livingwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
I’m led to believe that this could be due to a clogged drain pan but I’m not sure how to check or where it drains (Wildwood FSX 197bh). Thanks for any assistance/pointers.
They are not actually designed to drain anymore, as letting the water spatter on the cooling fins makes them more energy efficient.

I actually drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom outer corner(s) of my AC unit... just enough to pierce the pan and allow the water a way to get out... can't hurt anything if you stay shallow with the drill... can always use putty to cover up the holes...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, window