Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #1

Winegard Razar vs Sensar

Any opinions? My TT came with a Razar. I upgraded the power module with a SensarPro. The setup worked ok, but seeing as the antenna is low profile, and mounted directly in front of my AC unit, I always wondered if I'd be better off with a raisable batwing type.

Well, a big storm just blew through, and persuaded a tree branch to remove the Razar and smash it to bits on the driveway for me. Would it be a worthwhile effort to install a Sensar IV in its place? Or is the Razar a better antenna that I should simply replace?
Old 09-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyCorp View Post
Any opinions? My TT came with a Razar. I upgraded the power module with a SensarPro. The setup worked ok, but seeing as the antenna is low profile, and mounted directly in front of my AC unit, I always wondered if I'd be better off with a raisable batwing type.

Well, a big storm just blew through, and persuaded a tree branch to remove the Razar and smash it to bits on the driveway for me. Would it be a worthwhile effort to install a Sensar IV in its place? Or is the Razar a better antenna that I should simply replace?
I replaced my Razar with the crank up Winegard RVW-395 Sensar IV.

Used the same hole even though the orientation is backward according to Winegard Cust. Service. To orient it so it lays back along vehicle travel, according to them, will cause the wind while driving to rip the antenna off.

I went ahead and ignored their advice, orienting it so it lies down forward. Then checked to see if wind would be an issue by using my Leaf Blower that generates 110 mph wind speed. At least 7,000 miles on the road and no sign of any issues since then.

Only downside is you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LOWER the antenna before hitting the road. I had one close call and make sure to check before moving.

Oh yeah, reception is a quantum leap forward from the crappy performance of the Rayzar.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #3

Thanks Mike! That was exactly what I wanted to know, including the orientation question I forgot to ask!

I'm glad to hear that the reception difference was noticable. Now I'm excited about an upgrade, rather than mad about an unexpected repair.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #4

I did one more thing to keep antenna elements from flopping around in the wind.

I split a short length of "pool noodle" type pipe insilation in half. Then with antenna just slightly raised, only a couple inches, I glued each half to the roof using some lap sealant.

When antenna is down the ends of the "batwings" are now resting on the insulation foam.

I noiced how these antenna elements fluttered when testing with leaf blower snd recalled the dimples worn in the roof of my old trailer under the central body of the antenna. So far these pads have prevented the movement that caused them.

BTW, with orientation reversed a new index mark will be needed on interior rotation knob so you know where to point antenna. I just made one with a sharpie.

I used the old hole which needed to be increased somewhat. Also had to do some patching around new antenna as old base was larger and a different shape.

If I were to do this again I'd first adhust hole size, including addition of coax hole.

Then I'd patch the old antenna base area with a one-piece patch that extends beyond all original holes. I ended up having to use Eternabond tape and lap sealant.

A 12"x12" piece of Eternabond is available on Amazon and I think it's the perfect size but measure first if you choose this route.

Once patch is in place locate and cut out new holes then install per instructions.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #5

Thanks again Mike for the excellent info. I'm very glad to have the detailed heads-up of what I'm getting into, before I get there. Time to take some measurements and order some supplies....
Old 10-28-2022, 09:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

BTW, with orientation reversed a new index mark will be needed on interior rotation knob so you know where to point antenna. I just made one with a sharpie.

I used the old hole which needed to be increased somewhat. Also had to do some patching around new antenna as old base was larger and a different shape.

If I were to do this again I'd first adhust hole size, including addition of coax hole.

Then I'd patch the old antenna base area with a one-piece patch that extends beyond all original holes. I ended up having to use Eternabond tape and lap sealant.

A 12"x12" piece of Eternabond is available on Amazon and I think it's the perfect size but measure first if you choose this route.

Once patch is in place locate and cut out new holes then install per instructions.
Seems like I've been stalking all your posts lately.. beware.

I know this post is a year old. I have a Flagstaff Superlite with the Razor type TV antenna and it stinks. I was thinking about going with the Sensar4 but it seems like I would have to mount it pointing forward instead of backwards because of roof obstructions. Sound familiar? A search turned this thread up.

Do you have any pictures of the install? Your MicoLite is going to have the same roof pitch as mine, did you need to use the wedges at all? Did you just rotate the whole assembly when installing it? If so I don't follow why you needed to draw a new orientation mark? The antenna doesn't know if its pointing forward or backwards?

Glad to know I'm not the only crazy one willing to do things backwards... or is that forwards.

Thanks
Jim M.
jimmarako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:39 PM   #7

I had an issue with my OEM batwing and replaced it with a Rayzar Z1 that mounted to the crank-up batwing stanchion. cannot say it is any better than the batwing but it is not any worse. I have not experienced the issues that are reported with the fixed roof mounted Rayzar Z1. The arrow alignment on the rotator inside is for where to rotate the antenna for cranking down for stowage and not for pointing the antenna.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winegard