Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #1

Wireless HDMI for Watching TV Outside

I have a 2022 GEO Pro G19FD and I'd like to be able to watch TV outside. I do not have an output jack that I know of. I'm wondering if the wireless hdmi is my option and will it work with the Furrion system?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...56612cc13b6d73

Thanks for your help.
DManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:41 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Spend a couple of minutes and look on the door side of your rig for a TV hookup The link you posted looks like something that would work. I get the impression you will be at improved campgrounds why not just bring an extra length of cable and hook your outside TV to the camp cable? just a thought.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #3

As I understand this device and others it is for connecting a " source device" like a DVD, Roku, game box, etc to a remote TV.

Not sure if a TV is a " source device" for this purpose. I have a Furion TV and it's HDMI port is used to controll devices connected to it so it can receive audio/video content but not sure it can send either back.

From checking the prices I think I'd just put a splitter in the coax feeding your TV and install an outside outlet even if it's inside a compartment that you just access as needed with an extension. Chances are you already have one ---- somewhere.

If streaming movies from phone or laptop, what you want to do is easy as both can be HDMI capable and you just "mirror" their screens to the TV.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks. I'll do a little more research on an exterior output.. Might use the splitter plan. I'm sure we'll stay somewhere with cable hookups but haven't so far.

DManning
DManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #5

Using Amazon firestick and my phone as a hotspot has worked well for me. If you subscribe to a cable or satellite TV service at home you’ll get all the network channels and any premium channels you have at home at no additional charge.

It also makes mirroring from your phone or tablet a breeze.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #6

I would suggest buying a smart tv and then you can stream to it from your phone or tablet or connect directly to whatever streaming service you may have.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #7

A lot of non-answers above. These things work great, and simple. For the transmitter, you pull the HDMI cable from your TV, and plug it into the transmitter, then run another HDMI cable from it to the TV. The unit feeds the TV and also broadcasts to the receiver unit. Then you run another HDMI cable from the receiver to the second TV.

I've been using them for years with no problems.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.C View Post
A lot of non-answers above. These things work great, and simple. For the transmitter, you pull the HDMI cable from your TV, and plug it into the transmitter, then run another HDMI cable from it to the TV. The unit feeds the TV and also broadcasts to the receiver unit. Then you run another HDMI cable from the receiver to the second TV.

Wow, condescending.....

I would not spend $125 plus on transmitters that can only copy (relay) what you have in old technology. For the same $125 - $159 you can purchase a brand new modern 32" Smart HDTV (with Fire Stick, Roku, etc. built in), and either use the sites' WiFi, or as mentioned your phone as a hot spot and get more content than you need (see my registry for an example and links). The new TV's are super light, easily mounted and can accept (mirror) content directly from your smartphone or any other Bluetooth or WiFi device, with minimal power consumption.

There is an exception: If you have built-in VCRs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, Beta Systems, etc. OLD TECHNOLOGY, that you can not move outside to directly connect to your TV, then yes, you may need some type of transmitter (or wire) to carry the signal to your outside TV. But adding additional electronic (power consuming) components, would be my last choice.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
Wow, condescending.....

I would not spend $125 plus on transmitters that can only copy (relay) what you have in old technology. For the same $125 - $159 you can purchase a brand new modern 32" Smart HDTV (with Fire Stick, Roku, etc. built in), and either use the sites' WiFi, or as mentioned your phone as a hot spot and get more content than you need (see my registry for an example and links). The new TV's are super light, easily mounted and can accept (mirror) content directly from your smartphone or any other Bluetooth or WiFi device, with minimal power consumption.

There is an exception: If you have built-in VCRs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, Beta Systems, etc. OLD TECHNOLOGY, that you can not move outside to directly connect to your TV, then yes, you may need some type of transmitter (or wire) to carry the signal to your outside TV. But adding additional electronic (power consuming) components, would be my last choice.
What Jeff said..... Why spend $125 and time and labor to add another HDMI outlet if you can't get the content that you're looking for in the first place.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:51 PM   #10

I just use an HDMI splitter and slit the signal from my inside satellite box to my outside tv. The satellite box is right above the dinette window so the remote works from outside. Been working great since 2015. The spitter is only around $8.00 on Amazon.
Leprechauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Before the thread derails too far, I'm wondering just what content the OP wants to watch?

If they are trying to watch local/off-air stations from their roof-top antenna, Roku Firestick and smart TVs won't help that situation at all. (they did mention no outside TV connection)

If they want to watch the campground cable programming then the idea of using a splitter or running a cable directly from the pedestal are good options when there is no outside connection.

If they are looking for streaming content, then the mention of smart TVs and streaming devices are valid but don't be "that guy' that hogs all the campground bandwidth because YOU want to stream TV. If the campground has the ability to upgrade connectivity, then OK. Otherwise, most campground WIFI is not suited for everyone connecting and streaming. A self-owned hotspot with a major carrier is often needed. Even then, many shows/movies can eat up several GB per hour.

If they want to watch their own satellite system content (outside) then wireless HDMI can work well for that.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Before the thread derails too far, I'm wondering just what content the OP wants to watch?

If they are trying to watch local/off-air stations from their roof-top antenna, Roku Firestick and smart TVs won't help that situation at all. (they did mention no outside TV connection)

If they want to watch the campground cable programming then the idea of using a splitter or running a cable directly from the pedestal are good options when there is no outside connection.

If they are looking for streaming content, then the mention of smart TVs and streaming devices are valid but don't be "that guy' that hogs all the campground bandwidth because YOU want to stream TV. If the campground has the ability to upgrade connectivity, then OK. Otherwise, most campground WIFI is not suited for everyone connecting and streaming. A self-owned hotspot with a major carrier is often needed. Even then, many shows/movies can eat up several GB per hour.

If they want to watch their own satellite system content (outside) then wireless HDMI can work well for that.
I've been to a few campgrounds where each user has limited bandwith assigned when they log in. One explained how he had his system set up like that to controll the BW Hogs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #13

So here's the bottom line - if you want to feed the second TV without regard for the source the goes to an HDMI port, and especially if you don't want to mess with additional cabling through the RV, these are a good solution.
Also, I don't know where you are camping, but the places I go have horrible (or no) wireless connections. Yes, I can use my cell phone to get programs and cast them, but that sure sucks up the data, and is often choppy. In my case, I use my home Dish equipment and a portable antenna, and have no other costs after the initial purchase of these devices.
As for campground cable, it's a crap shoot on whether stations you care about will be carried. No problem with my satellite system, including getting local stations (often my own, if I'm not too far away).
Old 10-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #14

Like others here, I use a Roku stick and it works great. Plugged it into the additional HDMI port and was up and running in minutes. There are a number of services that will get you local TV (I use YouTube TV and just change our location when we're out and about, but there are other services too).

You can also cast from a device too, like your phone or tablet.

The downside is even if you download your content and cast from your phone, you have to be on the same network and it appears Roku still wants access to the Internet. (Boo! I guess they're tracking us!)

But hasn't been too much of an issue if your park has wifi. It's worked great for us - hope that helps.
muttinthehut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:32 PM   #15

5Picker, (6Picker here) almost all of the new smart TVs also include a digital tuner to pickup the over-the-air local broadcast content. You may need to use a proper digital antenna (even my low-end 16FQ Wolf Pup came with a powered rooftop digital antenna with connections inside and out) to bring in the signals from farther stations. One just needs to run a channel re-scan at each new location.

I won't get into the differences of live stream vs. caching for viewing online content with regard to downloaded content via small pipes (Local WiFi), but the better smart TVs and media devices can manage this for you, so you won't be a bandwidth hog.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #16

I Tried a RF modulator. Then a different brand of wireless HDMI, both were lousy! I put a HDMI splitter on the back of the Dish box and ran a HDMI cable to the bedroom. I would try the wireless HDMI you listed to have a cleaner insulation and less brain damage. I spent apx $48 the HDMI cable and the splitter. Let us know how it works out. Jim
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.C View Post

So posting suggestions that have worked for you as helpful ideas to the OP is not a good idea, IYHO?..............well maybe not so Humble after all?
Old 10-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManning View Post
I have a 2022 GEO Pro G19FD and I'd like to be able to watch TV outside. I do not have an output jack that I know of. I'm wondering if the wireless hdmi is my option and will it work with the Furrion system?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...56612cc13b6d73

Thanks for your help.
On our 2020 2608bs I replaced the coax port on the outside with an hdmi port. Details are in this post
Old 11-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #19

I have used wireless HDMI in my MH. Lots of choices on Amazon.
wjijr1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #20

I have used wireless HDMI in previous coaches as well. It definitely wasn't the cheapest option but it worked well and beat running a long HDMI cable across the coach all the time.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wire