Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

Wireless rearview camera suggestions

I'm working on installing a decent rear view camera on my 2012 TT. I wanted it to be wireless and am installing a second camera on the trailer hitch to make hitching easier. I wanted the best picture so I wired the camera I mounted on the rear license plate to a transmitter near the hitch. When I want to switch cameras, I just switch which camera is plugged into the transmitter.

Because I want to limit extra stuff in the cab, I went with a wifi transmitter and am using my iPad for the screen. The problem is that the video is garbage. Yes I bought a cheap camera from Amazon but it says the video is the old NTSC 640 scan lines which should be good enough. This is so bad, it is unsafe and the app for viewing is a safety nightmare. If it loses the signal, it just stops at the last image and doesn't update so you may think that what was behind you a few minutes ago is what is there now. I'm looking for recommendations for a high quality system that plays on hardware I already have. Any suggestions?

Here is what I have:

transmitter: 903W (marketed under several different names but always the same product ID)
camera 1: Esky 181-00170-11 (horrible video)
camera 2: older Pyle license plate camera I picked up several years ago. Better video than the 2018 Esky but is stuck on infrared
screen: iPad mini
software: WIFIAV. I tried WIFIAV-HD but it won't connect. Not sure if the HD version is compatible with the hardware or if I'm just missing a setting in the software.

update: As a test, I hooked up my dvd player's video output to the wifi transmitter. The picture certainly isn't DVD quality but it is usable and far better than either backup camera. Video quality from bother cameras was horrible regardless of if I plugged the camera in directly to the transmitter or ran the feed through the 30 foot extension from the back of the trailer to the transmitter.
KevK is offline   Reply With Quote