Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

Wolf Pup 16BHS Refrigerator Replacement

Hello,

I am thinking to replace the Refrigerator in our 2006 16BHS Wolf Pup with a standard 120V 3.3 cubic feet mini refrigerator. We don't use the propane function at all, and the truth is that the factory electric/propane refrigerator takes forever to get cold, even when the camper is perfectly level. Also, when we turn it off, quite some moisture drips on the bottom front, messing up the "toe kick" under the refrigerator.

Did any of you replace the factory refrigerator with a standard mini refrigerator? Is it OK to use a regular non-rv refrigerator in the trailer? Any recommendations/issues/concerns/ideas?
(PS. There is already a 120V outlet right behind the refrigerator)

Thank you
Lambrosfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #2

It shouldn’t be a problem. But...
You’ll be losing boondocking capability. And cost a little. Make sure you cap off the gas lines well.
Have you looked at the various upgrades/improvements people have made to their camper refrigerators? Items like recirculating fan inside the frig, pancake fans in the refrigerator flue area to increase cooling, etc. Even cleaning out the flue of critters, spiderwebs and dust. Homemade ductwork to smooth out the external air flow.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrosfl View Post
Hello,

I am thinking to replace the Refrigerator in our 2006 16BHS Wolf Pup with a standard 120V 3.3 cubic feet mini refrigerator. We don't use the propane function at all, and the truth is that the factory electric/propane refrigerator takes forever to get cold, even when the camper is perfectly level. Also, when we turn it off, quite some moisture drips on the bottom front, messing up the "toe kick" under the refrigerator.

Did any of you replace the factory refrigerator with a standard mini refrigerator? Is it OK to use a regular non-rv refrigerator in the trailer? Any recommendations/issues/concerns/ideas?
(PS. There is already a 120V outlet right behind the refrigerator)

Thank you
This is exactly what I am in the process of doing right now in my TC- I had a Dometic 3 way that the electronics died on and Dometic was less than helpful with. I am putting a 110V "dorm frig" in the space. We do boondock fairly often, but use a Honda generator if needed so I will be able run it that way. We will limit opening, etc. and if needed can use a cooler for a trip that we don't want to use the generator for. The cost difference between replacing the 3 way and the replacement was significant.
JPinNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, replacement, wolf pup