Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
traveler

XM-Sirius satellite radio antenna

While shoveling snow off the roof of my TT, I sheared off my small sat. antenna from its mount and ripped away the wiring.
I have several inches of the wire still there and wondered if there is a recommended way of splicing this tiny wire. With the several layers inside the small wire, is it even possible. It seems the only alternative is to buy a new one and re-lay it through the roof and into the entertainment center.
Any one have any ideas on this type of repair.

Thanks

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #2

Next time use a broom.

Sorry, I'm not sure about the antenna.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #3

From what I've seen it's almost like a very mini coax cable.. I don't know of a way to splice it back together.. Might wanna ebay a new antenna and replace the whole thing, as it will probably come as an assembly...

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:17 AM   #4
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinreb View Post

Thanks
I suspect you have a XM (Onyx) radio installed in your TT. If so, I would seal off the existing wires (or just pull them out and plug the hole) and go get yourself a Home Kit:

Shop XM Radio - Accessories

The portable antenna for the XM and Sirius radios easily acquires a signal through a conventional TT's roof i.e., you don't need to install it outside. We've got a docked XM radio that came with the TT and sports the roof mounted antenna and it works ok except when we're in the trees or on the north side of the mountain. The issue is associated with the relatively low southern orbit of the XM satellites. We also have an old Sirius Starmate radio and can typically get better reception than the integral XM unit by using the Sirius Home Kit antenna positioned inside the TT.

Hope this helps...

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinreb View Post
While shoveling snow off the roof of my TT, I sheared off my small sat. antenna from its mount and ripped away the wiring.
I have several inches of the wire still there and wondered if there is a recommended way of splicing this tiny wire. With the several layers inside the small wire, is it even possible. It seems the only alternative is to buy a new one and re-lay it through the roof and into the entertainment center.

Thanks
The wire is just that a stranded wire, there is no coax involved. you could try and splice it together first and try it before you try and install a new wire. It just has a rubber or plastic casing on it. I have replaced two already. Due to the location FR put it in, it's on top of my slide, so the slide roof keeps ripping it from the upper sweep. The dealer tried to move it on a bracket out side on the wall slide. It would not pick up a signal unless it was extended 8" past the roller top. They reinstalled a new one back to the slide roof again. That was not a good location hanging out there 8". It should be mounted on a 12x12 metal plate, that what helps the signal. You can get a new one/ recondition for 15.00 bucks on there web site. It will depend on how it was routed on your TT even if you could pull new wire.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio, satellite