Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #1

You might want to check inside your Refrigerator Roof Vent

I was up on the roof of my MicroLite today installing a refrigerator vent fan. in order to fish the wires down to the back of the refrigerator I needed to open a "window" in the bug screen and stick my arm into the void above the refrigerator and much to my surprise I passed through a blast of cold air.

When the hole was cut in the roof a piece of the aluminum framing was cut out and when my A/C runs it discharges cold air through the hollow aluminum "tube" right into the vent stack behind my refrigerator. This cold air blast literally stopped the chimney effect cold (pun intended).

I stuffed the passage in the foam roof to stop the cold air and then proceeded with the next steps in the installation.

I had checked the Refrigerator and Freezer temps. Just over 40 in Refer and +4 in the Freezer.

Rest of the install took me a couple hours, securing wires, installing controller, zip tying wires, closing up screen, and reinstalling the vent cover.

Felt plenty of warm air rising from the Titan dual fans and all worked well.

Went in to put away all my tools. Like I said, it took a couple of hours finishing up as I took numerous water breaks (both in and out).

Temps when I quit were freezer 0 and refrigerator 38. So far so good.
One thing I can say about the Titan fans, they are definitely professionally built and almost silent. At full speed less than .5 amp. They actually look too good to mount under the cover

In closing, while poking around inside the vent area I found a lot of trash siting on top the evaporator fins. Some aluminum HVAC tape, bits of insulation, and the obligatory bees nest.

Like the title says, you might want to check your Refrigerator Vent from time to time. Especially if it's not cooling as you expect in warmer weather.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:18 PM   #2

Is this the Titan fan package you used? Just curious what you thought about the controller that comes with it.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Is this the Titan fan package you used? Just curious what you thought about the controller that comes with it.
Controller seems to be working great.

It turns fans off below 68 degrees and to full speed above 113 degrees.

It's real straight forward. Choice of Auto (using above temps), manual where you can select a speed, and Timer which will run the fans up to 4 hours.

I just hung the temp sensor down into the fins at the top of the tubes on rear of Refer where it was the hottest.

Since I finished yesterday I have left it on Auto. Fans were running and Refer was cool to my liking. This AM the fans were off and Refer was still cool.

It's simple and seems to work. What's not to like

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, refrigerator, roo, roof, vent