Old 08-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #1

285 Around Atlanta

No choice next week, need to get from Destin FL to Greenville, SC. Means going through or around Atlanta. Haven't done it in years.

Do I want I285 East or West around the city? Pulling a 35ft fifth wheel.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
Usually Confused Member

Definitely not the west route. Depending on the time of day (not before 10 am or after 3 pm) I would go straight through downtown on I-85. 285 around the east side not too bad either during those times. There is insignificant difference any more between the routes except NEVER try 85 through town after 3 pm. WSB radio FM 95.5/ AM 750 has decent traffic reports.

Your biggest problem will be unable to cruise at 80 mph. At 65 mph you are a rolling roadblock. I just ignore the speedy ones and let them figure out how to get around. Avoid the far right lane...people around here still don't know how to merge from an entry ramp.

Hint: Fuel up in Alabama with enough to get you into South Carolina. Georgia has high fuel tax.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #3

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Definitely not the west route. Depending on the time of day (not before 10 am or after 3 pm) I would go straight through downtown on I-85. 285 around the east side not too bad either during those times. There is insignificant difference any more between the routes except NEVER try 85 through town after 3 pm. WSB radio FM 95.5/ AM 750 has decent traffic reports.

Your biggest problem will be unable to cruise at 80 mph. At 65 mph you are a rolling roadblock. I just ignore the speedy ones and let them figure out how to get around. Avoid the far right lane...people around here still don't know how to merge from an entry ramp.

Hint: Fuel up in Alabama with enough to get you into South Carolina. Georgia has high fuel tax.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #4

If you don't mind two lane roads check out this route. At Forsyth (I75) take Route 83N to Monticello. Take Route 11 north to Winder then get on Route 53 north. That will take you straight to I85. I have used this route a few times while towing with no traffic issues.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:21 PM   #5
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
If you don't mind two lane roads check out this route. At Forsyth (I75) take Route 83N to Monticello. Take Route 11 north to Winder then get on Route 53 north. That will take you straight to I85. I have used this route a few times while towing with no traffic issues.
That's a good route (goes real close to my house) but unfortunately the OP is leaving from Destin and I75 (Forsyth) is way, way off course.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
That's a good route (goes real close to my house) but unfortunately the OP is leaving from Destin and I75 (Forsyth) is way, way off course.

You are right. I should have looked a map! Old age just kicking in!
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote