Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2021, 10:33 PM   #21

I'm sure that had you been able to take more time to travel, the high mile days might have been fewer, or you would have traveled the long daily distances you did with more time spent at your destinations. I, too have spent many long days traveling west to get to SD, Wyoming, AZ from CT. You do what you have to do make it work.

I would like to highlight what your post is written about which is preparation. It is the key to a successful journey. It seems you did your homework on travel plans and most importantly, your preventative maintenance paid off. Kudos!
Jimswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsr View Post
Just got back from a 2 week trip. 5007 miles total on the truck and 4139 miles towing the TT.

2020 Ram 2500 6.4 liter gas

Ended in Hill City, SD (Rafter J Bar Ranch Campground) to visit Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park and Devils Tower in Wyoming.

Added a Surge Guard 35530 with the optional display

Got rid of the brand new China Bombs for Load Range E Goodyear Endurance tires (5)

Removed the black tank flush anti-siphon device and replaced it with a brass nipple. I also bought a lead free Y for the hose Bibb and put an anti-siphon device on both ports.

Tinted all of the windows to try and keep out some of the western heat. It was 108 F when we got to South Dakota
I run a Ram 2500 4x4 crew cab w/6.4 Hemi and pull a 30' toy hauler.

Got rid of the factory installed china bombs after 7 years and replaced with Goodyear Endurance ... great tires give a better 'feel' towing the toy hauler.

One of the first things I acquired was the Surge Guard with readout.

Yes, been a very hot year here in South Dakota...and dry too. The State is in a drought situation.

I've stayed at the Rafter Bar J Ranch several times ... great campground IMO and visited placed in the Black Hills many times....also Devils Tower in Wyo and been to the Custer Battlefield just south of Harden MT too.

QUESTION: Please explain this mod you did: "Removed the black tank flush anti-siphon device and replaced it with a brass nipple." Type of nipple or ?? as a bit lost on exactly what you did.

thanks and happy camping.

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #23

I'm getting tired just reading about all that driving.

I used to do vacations with a lot of driving, but I flew to a western airport and rented a car. And then car camped, used hotels, or rented a motorhome instead. Saved the cross country travel from the east coast to the west. Transitioning to the motorhome was an improvement. I have a trailer now and need to drive all those miles.

But since retirement I can take my time. I'm about 8 weeks and 6000 miles into a 10 week, 8000 mile trip. Lots of driving but spreading it out helps a lot.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #24

Averaging 350 miles per day for 14 days . . . not my idea of relaxing. My truck's plenty comfortable, but I'd rather spend the morning sleeping in, and the evening exploring, with only a few hours drive every three days, just to get into a new environment.

More power to you for doing all that driving if it's what you love, and if you can justify all of the costs (wear & tear on vehicles, oil, fuel, tires, linkages, back & neck & legs, air pollution, etc.). As I age, I'm more interested in seeing what's around the nearest corner, finding the things that are missed by the folks who go-go-go. It why we avoid the freeways wherever possible. Taking the old state highways, passing through the small towns that started crumbling when the freeways and Walmart bypassed them--there's a LOT of great local parks and vistas and pie shops & pub food to enjoy, far from the freeway interchanges and their franchised restaurants & shops that make every town seem identical to the next.
DuluthCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:28 PM   #25

I am 70, she is 60 something. In September we are doing MT from MI and back in 2 weeks. Streets and Trips says it is just shy of 4,000 miles round trip. We are going to spend 5 nights at Glacier NP. We would love to take 4 weeks for this trip but we can't. I have had people say I'm crazy to do that many miles in 2 weeks. But if there is some places you want go and limited time, that is what you do. Not getting any younger.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsr View Post
Just got back from a 2 week trip. 5007 miles total on the truck and 4139 miles towing the TT.

2020 Ram 2500 6.4 liter gas
2020 Alpha Wolf 22SW-L purchased March 2020

Started in the Albany, NY area-

Route 84 West
Route 80 West to
Route 90 West.

Ended in Hill City, SD (Rafter J Bar Ranch Campground) to visit Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park and Devils Tower in Wyoming.

Drove south to Estes Park, CO to drive up the Rockies and visit the Continental Divide then back East.

Three overnights to get there (all KOA’s) and 4 overnights to get back (3 KOA’s and a private CG).

Took I-70 to 80 to 84 back.

Our highest mileage day was 507 miles, shortest was 297 miles and our average was around 459 miles per day of travel.

Prepped the TT for a year to try and make this trip without any major problems. It worked!

Some of the Mods-

Added a Surge Guard 35530 with the optional display

Got rid of the brand new China Bombs for Load Range E Goodyear Endurance tires (5)

Removed the black tank flush anti-siphon device and replaced it with a brass nipple. I also bought a lead free Y for the hose Bibb and put an anti-siphon device on both ports.

Keyed all locks alike

Installed MoRyde CRE3000 equalizers and MoRyde heavy duty shackles which came with wet bolts for all

Inspected and hand packed all wheel bearings this spring and replaced the seals. Added a few squirts of grease through the E-Z Lube fittings. I don’t usually use these but wanted to just get a little more grease on the bearings before the big trip.

Tinted all of the windows to try and keep out some of the western heat. It was 108 F when we got to South Dakota

Installed a Haloview backup camera

Added lock nuts to all of the frame mounting bolts. There were a few loose!

There are a few more minor mods but these are what got me through 4139 miles of towing in 2 weeks.

THANK YOU to all of you who contribute to these forums enabling me to “fix” things before they break.

Oh, all reservations were made last summer and fall.

I’ve already started making reservations for a three week trip next summer to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas.

Thanks again all!!
Wow, that's a lot of miles quick. Can't see anything doing that. You need to slow down and relax. Smell the coffee and take one the views. When I travel I am Doo 200 miles a day when I move. One day I only made it 50 miles. I took 6 weeks to travel 3000 miles and that was to fast. Missed a lot.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
I am 70, she is 60 something. In September we are doing MT from MI and back in 2 weeks. Streets and Trips says it is just shy of 4,000 miles round trip. We are going to spend 5 nights at Glacier NP. We would love to take 4 weeks for this trip but we can't. I have had people say I'm crazy to do that many miles in 2 weeks. But if there is some places you want go and limited time, that is what you do. Not getting any younger.

We both fully understand, but Im exhausted just thinking about that trip.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:11 AM   #28

Smile

Life is short. Do it your way. 😎
billywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #29

I just did a month long, 8200 mile trip from Southeast Michigan, through Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington State, down through Oregon, Califoria, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and back to Michigan. I had no troubles, but I maintan my equipment so it is always ready, without a month long fix it regimine.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #30

Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywilly View Post
Exactly. When we CAN, and God help us are still able to, we will take our good old time and see all the things we might have missed while checking off our must sees. Right now we both are still in good shape and couple long days driving does not bother us.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywilly View Post
You are so correct.

When one is working a job and only has a 2 week vacation time every year - often it's required to travel as much as possible into the time period to reach a destination and back, seeing some things in-between.

Once one is retired, one may meander around at a much slower pace on the side roads, etc. and only cover a short distance every few days or so, however fits ones' fancy.

Regardless - the main thing is to during the venture.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #32

I don't understand why so many here are rebuking the OP's trip? Is it just an impulsive behavior that people can't help? Not everyone has the inclination, nor the time, to dawdle. If that's what you like to do or have the time to do, good for you! But it seems to be in pretty poor taste to tell the OP that he/she "can't see anything doing that" and similar comments.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
I don't understand why so many here are rebuking the OP's trip? Is it just an impulsive behavior that people can't help? Not everyone has the inclination, nor the time, to dawdle. If that's what you like to do or have the time to do, good for you! But it seems to be in pretty poor taste to tell the OP that he/she "can't see anything doing that" and similar comments.

I don['t think most are rebukes. For me, we have done that sort of thing, because we HAD to, or not see what we wanted to go see.

For most I think it was a "Boy, Im glad I don't HAVE to do that any more"
Old 08-24-2021, 04:09 PM   #34

I did a similar trip but I started in NC and went out west and I took a bit longer. I spent 52 days traveling my 5500 miles. Here are a few pictures. The pictures are of Winslow AZ, Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone, Black Hills, Badlands, we also visited Devils Tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0609211341.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	261593   Click image for larger version

Name:	0612211032b.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	261594   Click image for larger version

Name:	0701211009a_HDR.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	261595   Click image for larger version

Name:	0709211158.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	261596   Click image for larger version

Name:	0715210909a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	261597  

2017 Forest River FR3 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #35

In June 2022, we will be doing a similar distance in a similar timeframe. Daughter is getting married in Arkansas, we live in California. Right at 2000 miles to the town. His family is all based in Arkansas, so the few of us in our family will travel there. We will not be sight seeing along the way - strictly drive to get there. Set up camp for 4 or 5 days for the wedding / prep / clean up, and then head home.

We could fly, but prefer to take our bed with us.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #36

We just got back from a 2 week RT from NC to Cape Cod, Acadia NP and Stowe, VT for a total of 3100 miles. We stayed in a Acadia and Cape Cod for 4-5 days each but when we travelled it was around 450 miles on those days. We were fine and enjoy that kind of pace. The family that was with us was warned in advance and they still started whining on the tail end, even the "lets get up early and see this days" when the camper stayed at the CG. I don't hold it against them but my family just travels different. After we got home and cleaned up the camper, I was ready to leave again.

It's how we roll. I envy the OP's trip and would love to do the same thing!

2020 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 (Gas) - Sold
2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS hybrid - Sold
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags