Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #1

Acadia via Cape Cod

Going to Acadia from central PA in Sept. Was planning on spending (2) nights at Atlantic Oaks on Cape Cod on the way. Is going that far up the cape too much out of the way for one full day before heading north again? Atlantic Oaks is about 1/2 way up the cape in Eastham.

Thanks for any info.
Pjs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #2

Basically the traffic on the Cape is nasty on the weekends and the traffic going around Boston is nasty during the week. What days did you plan on traveling?
Duneit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #3

We just went to Acadia from WV. We took 68 to 81 then to 78 and to 95. Through the Bronx, just avoid the GW bridge. Ended at Plymouth, then around Boston to Acadia. Home through NH, VT via Niagara and back down 79.
I don't think it's too far out of the way on that route. Depends on your route though.

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
Basically the traffic on the Cape is nasty on the weekends and the traffic going around Boston is nasty during the week. What days did you plan on traveling?
The plan was to go to the cape Sunday afternoon and leave the cape Tuesday morning. People are telling me that the extra driving and traffic may not be worth it for just one day there. Thinking maybe I should just head straight to Maine and plan a different trip to the cape when we can stay longer.
Pjs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjs63 View Post
The plan was to go to the cape Sunday afternoon and leave the cape Tuesday morning. People are telling me that the extra driving and traffic may not be worth it for just one day there. Thinking maybe I should just head straight to Maine and plan a different trip to the cape when we can stay longer.
Your timing "may" work out. Going to the Cape when everyone is leaving is a good idea. The rotary's at the bridges may cause a slight delay. The route around Boston should work OK at that time as well, there are a few ways you can go.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:02 AM   #6

What do you have for a rig?
Old 08-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #7

The Cape is definitely worth more than a day. We spent 5 days on it last year including a day trip to the Vineyard. I’d be inclined to plan a separate trip. Provincetown area is very interesting...... definitely worthy of a full day in town.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #8

I live on the Cape and have stayed at that campground. Several beautiful beaches in the surrounding area, however up until Labor day you need local beach stickers for admission. My suggestion would be to wait until after Labor day, early fall. First you can visit all the beautiful beaches for free, a lot less traffic, and going that far out of your way for one day is a waste because you'll need at least a few days to appreciate all.of the Capes beauty.
stevemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #9

spend more time on the cape

Quote:
Going to Acadia from central PA in Sept. Was planning on spending (2) nights at Atlantic Oaks on Cape Cod on the way. Is going that far up the cape too much out of the way for one full day before heading north again? Atlantic Oaks is about 1/2 way up the cape in Eastham.

Thanks for any info.
I don't thin k it's worth it for just 1 or 2 days on the cape. I just spent a week there and that wasn't enough time. We stayed in Brewster which was in the middle of the cape and very convenient to most places.
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
Retired

Quote:

Thanks for any info.
The Cape is a great place to RV if you go after school is back in session, Sept is perfect. The herds have left, traffic reasonable, everything is still open and the beaches are not crowed. We spend time at Atlantic Oaks in Sept & Oct. You will be close to the National Seashore...lots of stuff to do there. If you don't want to haul the TT through Boston we always take Rt6 toI495, to I95 into Maine. Here's my 2cts about travel times...don't go to the Cape Friday afternoons and don't leave the Cape Sunday afternoons or Monday morning, going to Maine don't travel I95 on the Friday afternoons and don't travel South I95 on a Sunday afternoons...been doing this for 10+ years.
Have fun

Happy Trails
Old 08-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #11

Hopefully you decide on one or the other for your trip. It's not on the way to Acadia. Lots of traffic to get to Cape Cod and back on track to Acadia. You won't have enough time to even visit Martha's Vineyard.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #12

Piggybacking a little here....., but also kinda related.....

Any issues driving up the coast from Kennebunkport to Seawall (in Acadia) with a truck / 10'2" TT? Horrible traffic on a Sunday? Low clearance bridges? Other concerns? I'm not afraid of really any drive, but don't want to be foolish or waste hours doing things I just shouldn't. We won't have electric, but I still want to make it with the AC attached. Etc.....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #13

The Maps thing shows it as 370 miles and nearly 8 hours. I'd agree with that estimate. We visit family in New Bedford/Fairhaven, and it takes us all day to just get to Chatham and back to watch the seals. We usually go up to Acadia after seeing the family, and we head out as early as possible to try to get there before dark. Sometimes we make it by the dinner hour, sometimes after dark if getting around Boston is bad. If it were me, I'd plan for separate trips to thoroughly enjoy both areas. And my top choice is Acadia over the Cape. Enjoy your trip!
Oldbears is offline   Reply With Quote