Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #41

Central Florida Jan - March

I'm a little late on this thread but if you haven't found anything yet you might check out Christmas RV Park in Christmas, Fl. Also, there is the Lake Whippoorwill KOA in Orlando. We will be staying there for a couple of weeks in March 2020 but they also have monthly sites. Bad news is that they have sold out to a condominium developer and are closing April 2020. We have stayed there many times during the last 5 years. Don't know where we are going now. Our kids live in The Eastwood development of Orlando and there is NOTHING around there.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #42

KOA or Christmas

Hi can you clarify which park is closing due to being bought out? Thanks Jim
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #43

I would head for the Ocala National Forest, the closest thing in the state to the middle of nowhere. That is how my friends in Florida refer to it.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #44

Sebring Florida

I leave my trailer in Indiana but have a double-wide mobile home in Leisure Acres, Sebring, Florida. I've lived there more than a dozen years and it is very RV friendly. There are about 40 or so RV lots for the rest of the snowbirds. Leisure Acres About 60 minutes south of Disney World on US-27 and about 90 minutes drive time to either coast. Great place to live in the winter. Leisure Acres Most of the other RV Parks in the area are fully booked but Leisure Acres is a lot nicer and generally has open RV spots.
gradeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #45

Rv park central fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
I'm a newbie and looking for advice on a spot in south central Florida, Jan thru March. I am not finding much available . Is it even possible this late.i'm browsing with Goodsam and some other campsite apps .Is it better to call them. We are excited to get out of Iowa winters and enjoy the sun. We're in a 25 foot sunseeker.
Hi google the outpost rv park winter Haven Fl. We stayed there many winter months. Excellent location rates are very very reasonable. Thanks
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #46

Reservation windows for national parks are 6 months in advance, as opposed to 11 months for state parks. Use recreation dot gov to explore those park reservations. Many boondocking available sites if that is something you want to try this coming year. Stay away from coastal areas for camping opportunities as they fill up within an hour of the reservation window. Try spots north of Tampa and in the panhandle near Apalachicola. It stays in the 45-65+ range during January- Feb in that area. I actually like that area because south-central FL can get very crowded that time of year. Try Highland Hammock State Park... so many sites there one may open up due to a cancellation.
Good Luck and start early next year

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron4467 View Post
We are staying for the first time at a place called Recreation Plantation on Lady Lake. Friends looked at it last year and said it was a real nice place and they have a lot of new site so we are trying it for January and February.
One advantage to recreation plantation is you are close to The Villages. That means you can take advantage of the nightly free entertainment on the town squares. There’s also plenty of places to eat and lots of places to go. Tampa is a little over an hour away, Orlando and all its parks is closer. Then there’s Cape Canaveral and all the space coast. Saint Augustine and Jacksonville are a couple of hours away. Cruses depart frequently from 5 ports in the state (Jacksonville, Tampa, Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale and Miami). Three of these are less than 3 hours away.

Good luck finding a spot.

Oh, and there’s another park in the Villages area called Blue Parrot.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #48

Keaton Beach, Perry FL. The campground behind AJ’s
redbelly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #49

Places to try

We have spent the past 3 winters in Florida, mostly in the central area. Don’t know how far south you are going but in the central part of fla there are a couple of places we would recommend and have had no problem getting in. 1) Sanlon RV and golf resort just south of Lakeland is really nice. Lot of activities to do on site and accessible to Disney and the Gulf coast, if you don’t mind traffic. 2) Also a quaint little place in Winter Haven called East Haven RV resort is very nice. Jack, who runs the place is a great person and takes care of his facility. We did not have a problem getting into each of these places.
Dhunsinger799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassinthru View Post
Hi can you clarify which park is closing due to being bought out? Thanks Jim
It's the KOA, SE Orlando, Lake Whippoorwill. Everyone must be out by April 25, 2020. We pull out of there on the 13th of April 2020.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #51

The state and county sites are the best. In 2015 when I retired, we started building our schedule for Jan and Feb about now. You take what you and get, and keep monitoring the available sites on reserveAmerica, and it can be done. We had a wonderful trip, and have been addicted ever since. BonVoyage!!
Pjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #52

East Central Fl

You could try Wickham Park Campground, in Melbourne, FL. Just a few miles west of Rt. 1 going south through Melbourne, FL.
witchbiker
witchbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #53

PaJerry

We have stayed in South Central Florida the past 3 years and stayed at MRv resort. Great people and fun times. They may have a spot for you! About 1 1/2 hours west or east to the beach.
Look us up if you come down.
PaJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #54

Quote:
I'm a newbie and looking for advice on a spot in south central Florida, Jan thru March. I am not finding much available . Is it even possible this late.i'm browsing with Goodsam and some other campsite apps .Is it better to call them. We are excited to get out of Iowa winters and enjoy the sun. We're in a 25 foot sunseeker.
I have recently reserved 3 weeks at Port Orange (Nova Family Campground) for most of January. It was a difficult process. I used GoodSam, Recreation.gov, and ReserveAmerica.com. I didn’t want to spend a ton of time on the phone so I created a message explaining the dates I was looking for, the size/type of our camper, number of adults, and no pets. Many sites required a minimum of 30 days and we’re a little short of that. I ended up receiving responses from 3 Campground’s - one that was not acceptable to me and then one from each coast. We settled on the east coast because we had friends that would be Inn daytona part of the month.

So while it’s not impossible to find a spot it does require a lot of leg (or finger) work to find something.

Good luck!

2018 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab V8
2019 Cherokee Alpha Wolf 27’ RK-L
Carolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #55

Go to Az its better there and more economical.
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #56

For great weather get south of Tampa on the gulf side. It does get more pricey as the weather is better and worth it. We live down west of Fort Myers and it is great, start looking down that way. If you want to be inland there are many great campgrounds to check out. Have to book early however.
Jimhinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #57

Many mansions rv resort
Good sam
garymac2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #58

Florida Winter Spot

If you go to the Okeechobee area I'm sure you will find something - one park on top of the other. We have stayed in a county park on the north side of Ruskin - never reserved, always found a site. Paul 2019 Forester.
pbft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #59

Check out Silver Palms RV Resort Okeechobee. They have a special 50%off for Nov and Dec. We own a lot there. We are Canadian snowbirds.
Rivasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #60

Quote:
We go from Iowa to Orange Beach Al for Jan through March. Jan not as warm as south Florida but weather is nice Feb - Mar. Beautiful white sand beaches and friendly folks.

Tags
florida, winter