Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
Advice on Route

My son's family and I are planning on traveling through the north eastern past of the U.S. this summer. Our first stop will be in the Boston area. From there, we are heading onto Long Island. The campsite we booked at, highly recommended we take the ferry on and OFF the island. She discouraged trying to drive across the island and through Manhattan en route to our next destination (Gettysburg area). I am traveling with my 32' Fifth Wheel and my son has a 27' travel trailer. Pros and cons of driving the highways/bridges to get off the island versus taking the ferry?!?

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:12 AM   #2

DO NOT drive through Manhattan with an rv. Unless its at 3 am. Even then it would not be fun.

But Book that ferry early- spots book up fast.

Near Boston I have stayed at Normandy Farms- and then taken a short drive to the train station to get to down town Boston.

I Gettysburg I enjoyed the KOA campground.

Both are great places to visit.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:51 AM   #3

I use to drive tractor trailer thru NYC only because I had to and was getting paid and when I di it was in the middle of the night. Usually only had to drive the highways mostly and just a few small roads to reach the terminals but on occasion of road closures were sent thru the city with no direction at all, not a fun trip. I am sure you were given that tip for a good reason so use it.

What campground are you staying at so we will have a idea of route suggestion.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:03 AM   #4

If ur coming down from boston, take 95 south and hit the throgsneck bridge and take the clearview expwy south to 495 (lie) east. You cannot go on pkwys in ny. On your way to gettysburg from long island take 495 (lie) west to clearview pkwy north to throgsneck bridge, 95 north towards the george washington bridge(if you dont hit this bridge early or really late expect over a hr of traffic) take the gw into jersey and go from there. Avoid manhatten, it will not be pleasant and you will get stuck. Hope this helps.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
If ur coming down from boston, take 95 south and hit the throgsneck bridge and take the clearview expwy south to 495 (lie) east. You cannot go on pkwys in ny. On your way to gettysburg from long island take 495 (lie) west to clearview pkwy north to throgsneck bridge, 95 north towards the george washington bridge(if you dont hit this bridge early or really late expect over a hr of traffic) take the gw into jersey and go from there. Avoid manhatten, it will not be pleasant and you will get stuck. Hope this helps.
Just curious but yes you said and I know avoid parkways in NY as we are not allowed on them but then you suggest later to get on the Clearview parkway, is that correct or just out of habit when you drive a car? Just don't want them to get screwed up as parkway bridges are usually LOW.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Just curious but yes you said and I know avoid parkways in NY as we are not allowed on them but then you suggest later to get on the Clearview parkway, is that correct or just out of habit when you drive a car? Just don't want them to get screwed up as parkway bridges are usually LOW.
cmysstailights actually said Clearview Expressway (not Parkway). Expressways in NYS are open to all traffic
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
cmysstailights actually said Clearview Expressway (not Parkway). Expressways in NYS are open to all traffic
Actually they said both expressway and parkway but if they mean expressway that makes sense. I was just looking for clarification.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:12 PM   #8

Just take it slow across the george washington bridge and cross bronx expwy. if you go that route vs. the ferry. The roads are horrible, I know, I live on long island and have to tow a 40' 5er thru there to get off the island.
wayne272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #9

By the way I second normandy farms, think its in foxboro (about 6 hr. tow to long island, bridgeport ferry would probably cut it in half) Which campground on the island? To gettysburg would be long island expwy., clearview expwy, throgs neck bridge, cross bronx expwy, george washington bridge. Make sure you have ezpass.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #10

I was driving Harrisburg to NY City and back weekly. It stinks in a car a truck and trailer would be horrible. The roads in NY are narrow, the lines haven't been painted since 1950 and they twist and turn. There are lots of low bridges and the other drivers are New Yorkers.

Take the Ferry and enjoy life. It will also probably be quicker. Oh and the tolls for the city will probably be more than the cost of the ferry (well maybe I'm exaggerating, or am I).

From NY take I78 to I81 and then US 15 south to get to Gettysburg. Wave as you go by.
Neilthepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Sorry meant clearview expway
Old 03-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne272 View Post
Just take it slow across the george washington bridge and cross bronx expwy. if you go that route vs. the ferry. The roads are horrible, I know, I live on long island and have to tow a 40' 5er thru there to get off the island.
It is faster with no trwffic but i usually go up 95 to 287 if i am going upstate
Old 03-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
Sorry meant clearview expway
Ok thanks, I saw in the post you said it both ways and figured it was expway but I just wanted to make sure the OP didn't get on the wrong road as I know you what it's like when someone does.
I used to run the BQE every night 5 nights a week and when my dispatch told me to dis-regard the 12'6" signs near the Brooklyn bridge area, let's just say I was a tiny bit nervous when I came around that curve
Old 03-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
We are staying at the Eastern Long Island Kampground. 690 Queen Street, Greenport, NY, 11944. Does this help.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:37 PM   #15

Drummer Boy is a big Campground in Gettysburg. The KOA is small and might be tight for large RVs. I think they have some pull through sites.

Enjoyed touring the grounds of Gettysburg with Gettypeds, scoot coups. Check out their website. They have authorized tour guides that can tour with you.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #16
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots49 View Post
My son's family and I are planning on traveling through the north eastern past of the U.S. this summer. Our first stop will be in the Boston area. From there, we are heading onto Long Island. The campsite we booked at, highly recommended we take the ferry on and OFF the island. She discouraged trying to drive across the island and through Manhattan en route to our next destination (Gettysburg area). I am traveling with my 32' Fifth Wheel and my son has a 27' travel trailer. Pros and cons of driving the highways/bridges to get off the island versus taking the ferry?!?
If you are coming from Greenport to Gettysburg, why not take the Ferry from Port Jeff to Bridgeport, go north towards Danbury get on I 84west to I81 Southj to Gettysburg.... Completely miss all the New York City traffic and tolls.... Once you cross the Hudson, no tolls all the way to Gettysburg.....
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #17

As someone who was in New York and New England last summer with a 30 foot trailer, this trip sounds like a traveling nightmare. We vowed never again! I would suggest going somewhere less populated.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots49 View Post
We are staying at the Eastern Long Island Kampground. 690 Queen Street, Greenport, NY, 11944. Does this help.
Went there once, alot of kids (we don't have kids) and we had tenters in a site behind us and one of the kids kicked out our shorepower cord (they were all climbing on a jeep cj all weekend), thank god we were home because we had our dogs with us. The sites were close. The town of greenport is nice and quant, within walking distance. Claudios has a live band sat./sun. afternoon (its right on the water) and the seafood is excellent.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #19

I would consider the ferry if for no other reason the roads are horrible. I dont know what the ferry cost but the tolls with a trailer are expensive.
Fishcamp is offline   Reply With Quote