Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Puzzlme

Any tips on getting through or around Chicago?

I will be taking a cross country trip in my motorhome this summer.
I made the same trip for the first time 2 years ago in a minivan and the thought of navigating through Chicago in a motorhome is not my first choice. (think country mouse goes to the big city) Does anyone have suggestions about the best way to get through or preferably around the city without adding too many miles to my trip?
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #2

Have done this several times in the last 2 years going from Wisconsin to Florida, pulling a 25Ft TT. Best thing to do is take I-294 toll road around the
city. It seems to take forever but if you avoid rush hour that's about the best
way. I have gone through the center of the city late at night but you don't want to have a breakdown along that route. You may never be seen again.
Last year I purchased the I-Pass and didn't even need to stop at any of the
toll booths. That is the way I would do it again. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

Watch out for low bridges even on the interstate in Chicago area. Side roads and highways are even worse. I just went through Chicago going to Madison on Sunday about 11am two weeks ago. Yes there is stop and go traffic but GPS keeps you in the lane you need to be in well before a turn. Only took 20 minutes to get through the stop go mess on a Sunday afternoon so not so bad. I'm sure other days are worse.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #4

I drive to and through Chicago often. Another vote for the 294 loop. It is a few short miles longer but the time savings is greater and not to mention the stress relief! Another vote for the I-pass. You can order it online and they only require a $10.00 deposit and they will auto-charge your credit card every time you use $40.00 in tolls it will charge your card another $40.00. Your initial charge will be $50.00 to your card and wont be charged again until you burn up the $40 in tolls. Worth every penny of it!
shadow7663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Puzzlme

Thanks for the suggestions. I 294 it will be.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow7663 View Post
I drive to and through Chicago often. Another vote for the 294 loop. It is a few short miles longer but the time savings is greater and not to mention the stress relief! Another vote for the I-pass. You can order it online and they only require a $10.00 deposit and they will auto-charge your credit card every time you use $40.00 in tolls it will charge your card another $40.00. Your initial charge will be $50.00 to your card and wont be charged again until you burn up the $40 in tolls. Worth every penny of it!
Also, when you pay cash at the toll booth, it is double the price of using the I-pass. You can also buy one at the first Oasis (rest area) that you get to, or at any of the Jewel grocery stores.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How much is it on I80 through Chicago?

When we went to goshen last year I bypassed tolls and went through part of town but only to see ms Amys sister.
On theay home we took 80 straight thru and only had one toll ?
TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #8

You can do I80 EAST/WEST or I294 if you are going NORTH/SOUTH, these are the safest routes. It's Chicago, we have rush hour every hour of every day ... RLOL. Just take it easy and go the speed limit. If towing or driving a motorhome ... WATCH FOR LOW BRIDGES when off the highways. We have a few trucks hit them every week.
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote